Jump to content

Van - 'Up and over' rear door?


Recommended Posts

I'm in the market for a Transit Custom.  I notice some of them have one 'up and over' style rear door as opposed to twin opening doors. Any practical difference?  

Cheers

Link to post

If you carry long ladders or need to get to the roof you are better off with barn doors , if not a tailgate should be ok ,it’s down to personal preference really 

Link to post
Baldmonkey

I have a custom with tailgate and it's great for a quick cover/canopy to hide from the rain, they are generally only available from ex AA or RAC as they use it for the same principal and most other firms don't due to not being able to get a fork truck upto the vehicle for loading

Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Baldmonkey said:

I have a custom with tailgate and it's great for a quick cover/canopy to hide from the rain, they are generally only available from ex AA or RAC as they use it for the same principal and most other firms don't due to not being able to get a fork truck upto the vehicle for loading

Which version custom do you have?  There's little payload infor out there but I'm pretty sure that a 290 L2 will give 1000kg payload? 310 a little more again?  The aim is for a 650L tank although in reality I wouldn't need that capacity right now but planning ahead for the future too.

Edited by Bart90
Link to post

No good if you are bursting for a wee and a sudden gust of wind opens the tailgate door as you are reliving yourself  🙈😅

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Baldmonkey
16 hours ago, Bart90 said:

Which version custom do you have?  There's little payload infor out there but I'm pretty sure that a 290 L2 will give 1000kg payload? 310 a little more again?  The aim is for a 650L tank although in reality I wouldn't need that capacity right now but planning ahead for the future too.

Not exactly sure on figures though

20200606_140735.jpg

Link to post
On 05/06/2020 at 18:23, Bart90 said:

I'm in the market for a Transit Custom.  I notice some of them have one 'up and over' style rear door as opposed to twin opening doors. Any practical difference?  

Cheers

1, you dont get wet when playing around in the tail end of the van

2, youll smash the glass or dent the panel if you have ladders on a roof rack

3, dangerous in high winds when open 

4, you'll keep smashing your head on the edge if you are 6'2" 

 

Haha 

Link to post
Posted (edited)

I have a tailgate on my ex AA Vauxhall Vivaro and I absolutely love it. It shelters you from the rain if it starts and you're reeling in etc. And also when you need to clean a house in front of your van there's no door(s) to snag on or whatever so I would recommend a tailgate for WFP work.

Edited by Suhrly
Link to post
6 hours ago, Baldmonkey said:

Not exactly sure on figures though

20200606_140735.jpg

Thanks mate. Not quite sure how to interpret that info though other than yours being the 310?  In your v5 does it have a Gross vehicle weight and a kerb weight? I believe the difference gives you the payload.

Link to post
14 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

No good if you are bursting for a wee and a sudden gust of wind opens the tailgate door as you are reliving yourself  🙈😅

Even worse if you need a 💩

  • Haha 3
Link to post
46 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

How else carries empty evian **** bottles ???

I hope you cut the top off 😄 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Apw1210 said:

How else carries empty evian **** bottles ???

That reminds me, I need to buy a hot water bottle 🤣

Link to post
5 hours ago, Suhrly said:

That reminds me, I need to buy a hot water bottle 🤣

You can have mine if your passing one day 🤣

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.