Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Saving water, working longer

BigFoot

I’ve recently purchased the 1.4 pencil jets from Gardiner supplies and am surprised with the water I’m conserving.

i previously used 2.0 pencil jets on a setting of 45/100 on my controller the new jets I have the controller set to 28/100 I previously would close to empty my 400ltr tank each day, now I’m regularly coming home with close to a third of a tank.

i think I prefer 2.0 for first cleans as I like a lot of water to rinse Ubik off well but 1.4 is my preference for maintenance cleaning. 
anyone els use them and see significant water saving?

I used to use 1mm jets then switched to 1.4mm jets and the water saving between the two isn't much difference, I am now using 100 degree fan jets and the water usage is a little higher but maybe only 25ltrs or so more I have found fan jets give a far better curtain of water down the window. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

I used to use 1mm jets then switched to 1.4mm jets and the water saving between the two isn't much difference, I am now using 100 degree fan jets and the water usage is a little higher but maybe only 25ltrs or so more I have found fan jets give a far better curtain of water down the window. 

I have some 100* fan jets, yea they give a better curtain of water but I just don’t click with them. 
I remember you talking about the 1mm before and how little water you’d go through.The force the water comes out of 1.4s at very low flow is a surprise. My rinse technique has had to adapted a touch. For me not having to manage the last few jobs because of low water is a relief.

Strange how we all vary opinions.

I found the fan jets did the opposite and made a curtain of water more difficult. Gave them to another windie I’m friendly with.

Pub time. Have a great weekend fellow windies ??????‍?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
5 hours ago, RyeCleanLiam said:

I've gone the other way and gone to 3 mm jets ? I've also got some 100 fans. Can't decide between the 2 yet.

I like a lot of water on the glass for first cleans I think thy would be great for me for that,  I think 3mm would empty my tank by lunchtime if I used them all day though.

Edited by BigFoot
11 minutes ago, BigFoot said:

I like a lot of water on the glass for first cleans I think thy would be great for me for that,  I think 3mm would empty my tank by lunchtime if I used them all day though.

I found the 1:4 like using a pressure washer far to much bounce back off the window , when I turned the flow down there wasn’t enough water to rinse and it took ages.  I prefer the 2mm find the work well especially in the hot weather where more flow is required quickly to stop it drying to fast .

20 hours ago, BigFoot said:

I have some 100* fan jets, yea they give a better curtain of water but I just don’t click with them. 
I remember you talking about the 1mm before and how little water you’d go through.The force the water comes out of 1.4s at very low flow is a surprise. My rinse technique has had to adapted a touch. For me not having to manage the last few jobs because of low water is a relief.

I was adamant for over 11 years I would never change from 1mm jets and converted quite a few people then have done a complete U-turn ? 

I prefer fan jets now and wouldn't go back also very good for flushing out trickle vents as I find the fine spray much better for this. 

Edited by Iron Giant

4 x 1.4mm on a 35cm works well ? and my preferred jet on the larger brushes, on a 26cm 2mm is the best all rounder imo.  I like the 100 degree fans but they have limitations when if you want to rinse off the glass the water atomising before it touches the glass if more than a inch away. 

Just my thoughts ?

12 hours ago, Den said:

4 x 1.4mm on a 35cm works well ? and my preferred jet on the larger brushes, on a 26cm 2mm is the best all rounder imo.  I like the 100 degree fans but they have limitations when if you want to rinse off the glass the water atomising before it touches the glass if more than a inch away. 

Just my thoughts ?

I don't know what sort of super heated, atomic water you use, Den, me old mucker. ?But I know that if I turned the brush towards me and stood a foot or two away from it I'd be well soaked in seconds. I generally rinse on the glass (100's for all my work, with the exception of 50s still on tatty old brushes for really rough work).

I do sometimes give a bonus extra rinse, off the glass but very rarely. I might use it after scrubbing and rinsing a baked on bird poo or plant resin as it's good for seeing the inverted V trail ( ^ ) that shows if anything, even tiny is still left on the glass. This is because it gives a full width sheet of water on hydrophilic glass. Less of a sheet though on phobic so I always only rinse on on these to break the surface tension.

I'll put the brush in a position which gives a fan of water the full width at the top of the individual glass pane, mostly about a foot away. Pause for a second to build a full width head of water then simply descend the brush in one swift steady movement down the center line of the glass. No side to side movement necessary unless it's a very wide pane. About three to four seconds to rinse a pane and only one descending movement so almost effortless. Any trails will be clearly visible. ??

2mm jets are my main goto,

I have 5 brushes with 2mm jets and 2 brushes with fan jets, i tend to prefer the fan jets on Veluxs and solar panel, and pencil jets on verticle glass panes

Edited by HWCS
11 hours ago, Davy G said:

I don't know what sort of super heated, atomic water you use, Den, me old mucker. ?But I know that if I turned the brush towards me and stood a foot or two away from it I'd be well soaked in seconds. I generally rinse on the glass (100's for all my work, with the exception of 50s still on tatty old brushes for really rough work).

I do sometimes give a bonus extra rinse, off the glass but very rarely. I might use it after scrubbing and rinsing a baked on bird poo or plant resin as it's good for seeing the inverted V trail ( ^ ) that shows if anything, even tiny is still left on the glass. This is because it gives a full width sheet of water on hydrophilic glass. Less of a sheet though on phobic so I always only rinse on on these to break the surface tension.

I'll put the brush in a position which gives a fan of water the full width at the top of the individual glass pane, mostly about a foot away. Pause for a second to build a full width head of water then simply descend the brush in one swift steady movement down the center line of the glass. No side to side movement necessary unless it's a very wide pane. About three to four seconds to rinse a pane and only one descending movement so almost effortless. Any trails will be clearly visible. ??

Lol yes you I know you and Marko067 both love you 100degree fans and I have a brush with them also That I sometime use and also rinse on the glass ? I had approx 8 differentbrushes all with fan jets I used the 100 degree fan myself all the time but have changed back to pencils, my personal choice, trying to rinse not that I would from 12” to 24” away from glass would leave a fine mist at best as it atomises , you can get wet walking on a misty day but rainfall will make you wetter a lot quicker ? not knocking the 100 degree fans as I can work it’s both with not really any problems but now I just prefer pencils jets like I prefer an extreme or ultimate brush over surpreme or old sill brush.

Another example I don’t like the ultimate DuPont I find it splays to much but on the other hand my son loves ? as long as it as pencils not fans as he don’t like fan jets ?

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.