Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

What Ionic Pole and Clamps?


Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

 

The clamps on one of my ionic carbon poles need replacing but I'm having problems finding them.

 

I'm not sure what model the pole is as I've had it for ages so it's making it even harder.

 

Any ideas

20210220_145824.jpg

Link to post

Looks like an ionics ergo lite guessing it’s probably 15 years old I had ones like that years ago the clamp levers wear and the nuts need replacing , I doubt you can buy them any more , I did have a bag full of them somewhere will have a hunt round and see if I can find them 

Link to post
58 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Looks like an ionics ergo lite guessing it’s probably 15 years old I had ones like that years ago the clamp levers wear and the nuts need replacing , I doubt you can buy them any more , I did have a bag full of them somewhere will have a hunt round and see if I can find them 

That would be brilliant mate.

 

I'm struggling here....lol

Link to post

All of those clampslook like they have no adjustment left. You might try to open the gap carefully with a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder but take the bolt out first for obvious reasons. I did that with some Gardiner clamps once long before Smart clamps became available.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to post
5 minutes ago, spruce said:

All of those clampslook like they have no adjustment left. You might try to open the gap carefully with a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder but take the bolt out first for obvious reasons. I did that with some Gardiner clamps once long before Smart clamps became available.

Yes your right the ends of the clamps are completely together.

 

That's sounds like a really good idea.

 

You mean to use a Dremel to file the ends down to widen the gap?

Link to post
1 hour ago, Inked said:

You mean to use a Dremel to file the ends down to widen the gap?

Dremel would be easier and safer than an angle grinder. All you need to do is widen the gap a little so the clamps can grip the pole. Not sure if the Ionics poles surface wears making it thinner. If they do you can either build up the surface with car spray lacquer (Halfords etc) or if it's bad 2 part epoxy then sand back to smooth and round. 

Link to post
5 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Dremel would be easier and safer than an angle grinder. All you need to do is widen the gap a little so the clamps can grip the pole. Not sure if the Ionics poles surface wears making it thinner. If they do you can either build up the surface with car spray lacquer (Halfords etc) or if it's bad 2 part epoxy then sand back to smooth and round. 

These are all brilliant ideas.

I do like to fix rather than keep replacing bits if I can.

 

I was even thinking that the half moon disc on my multitool could work really well because it's really easy to control and would give a neat smooth finish.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Inked said:

Yes your right the ends of the clamps are completely together.

 

That's sounds like a really good idea.

 

You mean to use a Dremel to file the ends down to widen the gap?

Yes, but very carefully. You also want to not cut into the pole its self. Removing the next inner section should make it easier. A Driemel tool would be better than an angle grinder. Just take your time. You don't need to take much off.

Now, the other suggestion is getting a can of clear engine lacquer, (not paint lacquer) preparing the pole section and then spraying the pole with a couple of thin coats.

I actually sprayed another couple of coats where the pole was most worn and built it up. This wear is mostly where the clamps grip the pole sections in the fully closed position. Wrap some masking tape around the pole at the start of the low spot so you don't build up the area where its not required.

 

Link to post
11 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Dremel would be easier and safer than an angle grinder. All you need to do is widen the gap a little so the clamps can grip the pole. Not sure if the Ionics poles surface wears making it thinner. If they do you can either build up the surface with car spray lacquer (Halfords etc) or if it's bad 2 part epoxy then sand back to smooth and round. 

It will be both the clamp and the pole that wears. Halfords only had paint lacquer when I needed some. It didn't work very well.

Araldite 2 part epoxy I found to work well.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, spruce said:

Halfords only had paint lacquer when I needed some. It didn't work very well.

Good to know. I thought it was paint lacquer that worked. Thanks for the correction.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, spruce said:

It will be both the clamp and the pole that wears. Halfords only had paint lacquer when I needed some. It didn't work very well.

Araldite 2 part epoxy I found to work well.

That's a shame I could have used my Halfords trade card....lol

Carparts4less have it and eurocarparts but it's in a tin and not a spray.

 

I think I'll get away with just cutting the gap but the first section is quite loose.

I meant a half moon disc that goes on a multitool like the one in this picture.

 

I think it will be less aggressive and give a lot of control.

 

Oh. And I was going to completely dismantle the pole before doing anything so I can give it a good clean at the same time.

I'm also thinking about shortening it so I can use it more because I weights a ton...lol

 

 

31NVZIZIM8L._AC_.jpg

Edited by Inked
Link to post
49 minutes ago, Pjj said:

The problem is also that the nuts wear and they spin rather than sit in the shaped holes .

I'm sure the nuts on mine sit on the surface and not in any shaped holes.

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Inked said:

I'm sure the nuts on mine sit on the surface and not in any shaped holes.

If you take out the lever and bolt I think you will find the recess in the clamp is designed for the shaped nut to sit in it and not turn, but the nuts round off on the edges and then spin when doing the clamp lever up so the pole section spins  

 

 

Link to post
10 hours ago, spruce said:

Yes, but very carefully. You also want to not cut into the pole its self. Removing the next inner section should make it easier. A Driemel tool would be better than an angle grinder. Just take your time. You don't need to take much off.

Now, the other suggestion is getting a can of clear engine lacquer, (not paint lacquer) preparing the pole section and then spraying the pole with a couple of thin coats.

I actually sprayed another couple of coats where the pole was most worn and built it up. This wear is mostly where the clamps grip the pole sections in the fully closed position. Wrap some masking tape around the pole at the start of the low spot so you don't build up the area where its not required.

 

Engine lacquer I found to chip and look a mess it could have been my prep and drying times back then though, I use Plasti-Kote Clear Matt Acrylic but the dry/curing stage is very important I always do sections on a nice sunny day or failing that they have to go on a radiator in the house if I can't scratch it back off with my fingernail then I know it's baked then I'll apply the second coat and just leave the pole sections separated in the house or garage overnight depending on the time of year. 

A side note to anyone doing this and using the Acrylic spray is the nozzle will clog up and the can become useless if you don't clean it after use so make sure you have something to do so. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Iron Giant said:

Engine lacquer I found to chip and look a mess it could have been my prep and drying times back then though, I use Plasti-Kote Clear Matt Acrylic but the dry/curing stage is very important I always do sections on a nice sunny day or failing that they have to go on a radiator in the house if I can't scratch it back off with my fingernail then I know it's baked then I'll apply the second coat and just leave the pole sections separated in the house or garage overnight depending on the time of year. 

A side note to anyone doing this and using the Acrylic spray is the nozzle will clog up and the can become useless if you don't clean it after use so make sure you have something to do so. 

The Simoniz stuff works ok. The best was Gunk engine lacquer but I haven't seen it for years now.

Don't use wooden floor varnish. The wife suggested that. I had to buy a new section as two sections stuck together and I had to cut them apart.

 

 

Edited by spruce
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
23 hours ago, ched999uk said:

Good to know. I thought it was paint lacquer that worked. Thanks for the correction.

It's engine lacquer. Engine lacquer isn't a popular product in this country for some reason like it is in America and South Africa.

In SA the used car lots always used engine lacquer to give a potential customer the wow factor when opening the bonnet. 

Edited by spruce
Link to post

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept