Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Another new one about to start


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Im brand new to the forum and this line of work, thought i would sign up to the forum as I’ve been using it for some research, and maybe some time i will be able to give a little back and Of course ask some questions.

 

Little bit about me: Im a full time firefighter, live and work in london, will be starting my own window cleaning business in the next few months as a part time job then just see where it goes.

 

I am planning on doing mainly WFP but will also carry trad stuff for situations where trad may be more suitable.


any words of advice before i start are very welcome! 

 

Thanks for taking me on board, i look forward to getting to know you all.

 

Tom

  • Like 2
Link to post

If you are whole time Ime surprised you want another job 😂😂😂😂 . Use the search bar at the top fir most questions you have as new start up questions have been covered many times if you cannot find what you are looking fir just ask we are generally a friendly and helpful bunch 😂😂 most of the time 

Link to post

Welcome.

As for advice, read lots, watch youtube but don't believe everything you see 🙂 I realise you are well aware of ladder use so no need to warn you on that one 🙂 

Do lots and lots of research. Don't quit your 'day job' until you are 100% sure window cleaning is for you. Being self employed is not just cleaning windows, it's marketing, customer service, logistics, graphic designer, purchasing, accounting, motivating to name but a few aspects of the job. Don't forget to register with HMRC - I think you need to even if you are still employed. Get good liability insurance, buy decent kit - I would say from companies that specialise in Window Cleaning kit. i.e. not amazon/ebay as there are many people selling outdated, overpriced, terrible kit that isn't suitable for the job. I realise 'branded' stuff is more expensive but it's generally not in the long term.

I'm not trying to put you off at all, just giving you some things to think about. 

PS the search box, top right, is very useful as a lot of your questions have probably been answered quite a few times.

Link to post

Yes I am whole time but i have ended up with quite some spare time on my hands so figured i would fill it with some work to earn some extra money.

 

I will keep window cleaning as my part time as i wouldn’t leave the fire service, i will just see where it goes in terms of upgrading equipment in the future such as going from working out of my car to maybe buying a van etc.

 

Thanks for the replies gents greatly appreciated some real good pointers there. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Tom97 said:

Yes I am whole time but i have ended up with quite some spare time on my hands so figured i would fill it with some work to earn some extra money.

 

I will keep window cleaning as my part time as i wouldn’t leave the fire service, i will just see where it goes in terms of upgrading equipment in the future such as going from working out of my car to maybe buying a van etc.

 

Thanks for the replies gents greatly appreciated some real good pointers there. 

A van would make life much easier if funds allow .

Link to post
5 hours ago, Tom97 said:

Hello all,

 

Im brand new to the forum and this line of work, thought i would sign up to the forum as I’ve been using it for some research, and maybe some time i will be able to give a little back and Of course ask some questions.

 

Little bit about me: Im a full time firefighter, live and work in london, will be starting my own window cleaning business in the next few months as a part time job then just see where it goes.

 

I am planning on doing mainly WFP but will also carry trad stuff for situations where trad may be more suitable.


any words of advice before i start are very welcome! 

 

Thanks for taking me on board, i look forward to getting to know you all.

 

Tom

Good evening Tom and welcome mate. Firstly thank you for your service to the thin blue line mate.

Secondly there are a few ex services & forces chaps here so your one of the family.

 

If you need any help whatsoever pm me or ask as many questions as you like.

 

Ps, I've not seen anyone window clean using an Angus pump and duraline yet 😂

 

All the best Austin 

Link to post

Yes if things go well enough i will defiantly invest in a van as i can already imagine how much more difficult it is going to be working out of a car compared to a van.

 

many thanks austin, nice to know ive got some of my family here too 😀
 

9 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

I've not seen anyone window clean using an Angus pump and duraline yet 😂

Ah! That would explain a lot, I was struggling to find a pole that would accommodate a length of 45! 

Link to post

Over the years I've met a couple of firemen making a bit extra cleaning windows. They said they charged £5 and £7 respectively, which I said was really cheap. I told them I had a minimum of £15 and they were intrigued. Mind you, they did only do glass and wipe the sills. They were trad too. 

Set yourself a minimum price 👍

Link to post
28 minutes ago, Tom97 said:

Yes Cheers Wez, think i will be setting a minimum of £10 👍🏼

You are in London, so £10 minimum may be a few quid too cheap? Use google to look at other window cleaners in your area as some might have prices listed. This will give you a better idea on pricing.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
52 minutes ago, Tom97 said:

Right understood ched, ill give that a look at nice one mate

I'm in Kent and my minimum is £12 so I imagine for London it would be a little more. 

There aren't many here that have a minimum but I do because I don't want to clean fronts only for a fiver that some still do round here. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Tom97 said:

Right understood ched, ill give that a look at nice one mate

Try and find out what others are charging in your area and match there prices you don’t want to be a busy fool or have no work either . 

Link to post
steve garwood
1 hour ago, NewGuy said:

I'm in Kent and my minimum is £12 so I imagine for London it would be a little more. 

There aren't many here that have a minimum but I do because I don't want to clean fronts only for a fiver that some still do round here. 

Their probably on good wedge.

Say three windows at the front in five minutes for a fiver. Do ten in a row, fifty nicker in your bin in under an hour, Jubs 👍👨🏼‍🦰

Link to post
1 minute ago, steve garwood said:

Their probably on good wedge.

Say three windows at the front in five minutes for a fiver. Do ten in a row, fifty nicker in your bin in under an hour, Jubs 👍👨🏼‍🦰

No, the ones that I know that do £5 fronts only are driving around to different locations - they haven't got any that are next door to each other!

But yes, when they are next door to one another, it makes sense 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept