Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2,4 or 6 week cycle?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No bother part timer, so do you not clean  for all month to a certain date? 
I do my commercial work at the start of the month, on a fairly regular timetable. I then do the residential towards the end. Never quicker than 4 weeks sometimes 5.

I also travel doing work in between these dates, sometimes 3 days sometimes longer so staying flexible, time wise, suits me.

What do you suggest when 'one on one' with customer on that first meet/quote?
Simple advice, get the idea of one off stuff out your head before you go. When you're doing the quote just don't mention one off. Ask them how often they want them done. It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask as its safe to assume that windows will get dirty again. The customer will either have an idea or ask you how often you come. Vary occasionally someone will tell you straight they just want a one off, if thats the case then just price accordingly. I've done 3 quotes this evening, 2 yesterday and got 5 new customers using that exact method.

***EDITED***

I read what you're saying wrong so I've edited my comment a little but the advice still stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weekly used to be the norm but now it seems like most go for monthly(4 weekly) although every now and again I still get asked for fortnightly. No bother though as I still do loads of fortnightlys so it’s easy to work them into my round and I also charge same price as monthly’s so happy days. I know some of the old boys that still only take on fortnightly work. 
Yeh, when I was first doing windows back in the day it was normal for fortnightly, now Monthly is the norm. Obviously you need twice as many customers now to have a decent round than back in the day. When comes to every two months, you need even more customers...and also lose that personal touch of them knowing you...so customer "loyalty" goes out the window...and remember you are always one clean or text away from losing the customer, so them knowing you is vital.

Generally what do the majority of your customers want... 2,4,6 or an 8 week window cleaning cycle? What do you suggest when 'one on one' with customer on that first meet/quote? 
In the North of England 2 weekly cleans are still the norm in many places most of my work is fortnightly, With a new customer I always gently push every 2 weeks but I'm noticing more prefer every 4 weeks so I charge a bit more. 

If truth be told fortnightly cleans with Wfp aren't totally necessary but I'm paid to maintain clean windows and not have months of crud to move off....it's harder work.

Also seeing customers regularly you build a rapport and there is less chance of getting the sack. 

Yeah I'm. Water fed mate, horses for courses I suppose, I don't think I could leave bird shite on a residential for near four weeks or six weeks. 

On the plus side I got a new backpack an ultimate brush with the 1.4mm jets, plus the 100degree fans to mix it up. 

The flow coming out is great I'm well pleased as my old backpack was slacking, served me well for near three half years. Great bit of kit. 
Fair do's something may happen in the future that turns it on it's head, the UK recession in 2008 was when a big change came in almost in an instant 2 weeklies went to 4, I lost quite a bit of money in earnings and had to quickly make it up

Fair do's something may happen in the future that turns it on it's head, the UK recession in 2008 was when a big change came in almost in an instant 2 weeklies went to 4, I lost quite a bit of money in earnings and had to quickly make it up
That’s strange as myself along with most other domestic windies hardly felt any sorts of loss during that recession. It was mainly the big commercial lads and the the domestic cleaners that just do the odd job here and there charging rediculas prices that took the hits. 

That’s strange as myself along with most other domestic windies hardly felt any sorts of loss during that recession. It was mainly the big commercial lads and the the domestic cleaners that just do the odd job here and there charging rediculas prices that took the hits. 
paradoxically since 2008 my business has gone from strength to strength over the last 12 years,it was the years before the recession when i struggled......i was skint (and in debt) at times.....

I was in a new house the other day and everything is painted white, it was like living in an art gallery. It seems from 2008 cleanliness is all the fashion as well as minimalist. You notice it with car washes all over the place. Its the same with cleaning companies and window cleaning companies, I see them every day now. The demand is still expanding with new houses being built which means more cleaners needed. After swimming years against the tide I switched to window cleaning and I'm swimming with the tide and it makes some difference, I can tell you.

Hi, im new to owning my own window cleaning business I have been going afew weeks and now I'm hitting a little problem... I work on my own just to keep costs down at the moment as I dont earn enough to pay another daily wage.

So my problem is i have 2 and 4weekly customers but the dates are now starting to clash so I'm working one week (2 weeklys) doing between 7 and 10 jobs a day but a fortnight later when the same day falls I can end up with around 14/15 jobs as the 4weekly customers are hitting the same day can anyone give me any help or point me in to the right direction on managing and condensing jobs any help would greatly be appreciated  thanks 

Hi, im new to owning my own window cleaning business I have been going afew weeks and now I'm hitting a little problem... I work on my own just to keep costs down at the moment as I dont earn enough to pay another daily wage.

So my problem is i have 2 and 4weekly customers but the dates are now starting to clash so I'm working one week (2 weeklys) doing between 7 and 10 jobs a day but a fortnight later when the same day falls I can end up with around 14/15 jobs as the 4weekly customers are hitting the same day can anyone give me any help or point me in to the right direction on managing and condensing jobs any help would greatly be appreciated  thanks 
We only offer 4 or 8 weekly on domestic unless it’s over £100 then we will do whatever the customer wants , this saves a lot of running around ford smaller jobs 

If I were starting out again I'd base my business on 6 weekly schedules for sure, you can price a little more than for 4  and fill in the spaces with further customers, again at a premium. At 4 the payment comes round very quickly for the customer and the windows often aren't really dirty. At 8 the spiders have moved back in with all they're relatives and luggage so take more water, time and effort. I'd perhaps offer wider spacings for some of the really big properties but definitely priced accordingly.

I'd think carefully, make a decision and start as you mean to go on. It can be very messy if you go too random with spacings. Start out tidy and you won't have a mess to deal with. ?

When they clash just split them over two days. Or have your 4x weeks on a Monday and your 8 weekly son a Tuesday then they can’t clash. Except if you don’t work bank holidays. 

If I were starting out again I'd base my business on 6 weekly schedules for sure, you can price a little more than for 4  and fill in the spaces with further customers, again at a premium. At 4 the payment comes round very quickly for the customer and the windows often aren't really dirty. At 8 the spiders have moved back in with all they're relatives and luggage so take more water, time and effort. I'd perhaps offer wider spacings for some of the really big properties but definitely priced accordingly.

I'd think carefully, make a decision and start as you mean to go on. It can be very messy if you go too random with spacings. Start out tidy and you won't have a mess to deal with. ?
Hi, see with me starting out in 2020 I have been taking 2 and 4 weekly customers as they are the most popular my area Stockton-on-tees can get pretty dirty in some areas specialy when there building in every corner of the place.

I havnt actually hit the problem yet but bookings in my diary have. So instead of trying to work through it I thought I'd ask for help, I was thinking surely my customers wont be that bothered about it being a day early or late wherever I can fit them in... head is scrambled lol thanks. Also I did fail to mention my jobs are slightly scattered at the moment with it all being new but I do drive a van with all the equipment all traditional no water fed sh#t. 

I'd stick to the 2weekly if your customers are keen on it, that means twice payed every month. 

I said on the last post about this, most windys in my round are dirty every two weeks, I don't think I'd get far using 4weekly or above, there could be birds **** on the window for weeks on end an I don't think that's wise as we're in the job of maintaining cleanliness of windows an frames, so that in my eyes means a clean every two weeks. 

Plus it be like a first clean every 4 to 6 weeks, taking longer to do, not good practice all round I don't think jmo lads

I still do quite a lot of fortnightlys. The way I do it is to set your work out in fortnightly repetitions with your monthly’s/four weekers split equally in half so you do one half on one fortnightly rep and the other half of your monthly’s on the other fortnightly rep. That way your work is spread evenly being able to plan the same amount for each week without having one big week and one small week and also your not running here there and everywhere and will save you loads in travelling time. The rule is to always divide your work into even repetitions of the smallest frequency. 

Back