Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

2,4 or 6 week cycle?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

You can not be maximising your profit for the visits made, and the work done. It's impossible. You will only get twice the price each month if you're charging very low, pint and a pasty prices, not if you're charging a professional rate. I'll explain what I mean : Most of my work is 6 weekly. Most of my jobs are between £15 and £25. Let's take an example of £20 every 6 weeks. Nobody will pay £20 every 2 weeks ie £60 every 6 weeks for a £20 house. You're doing 3 times the visits and 3 times the work.

I'm looking for the pounds, not chasing the small change. I'm very confident most of the businessmen on here are doing the same. With the greatest of respect, the phrase "Busy fool" comes to mind.

I sincerely apologise if you see this post as an insult. It's absolutely not my intention. I'm out to try and help people thrive. ?
Not at all @Davey G, it's all good pal, I'm comfortable with my prices, I have a very compact round, an it's growing, so I'm happy.

So how do you work a 6weekly round, how many days a week, an many weeks out of the 6wek cycle are you doing? 

I couldn't get away with that length of time round here, how long does it take you to do a house, it must be like a first clean each time. 

Not at all @Davey G, it's all good pal, I'm comfortable with my prices, I have a very compact round, an it's growing, so I'm happy.

So how do you work a 6weekly round, how many days a week, an many weeks out of the 6wek cycle are you doing? 

I couldn't get away with that length of time round here, how long does it take you to do a house, it must be like a first clean each time. 
If you are happy with the pricing you charge and your customers are happy with a 2 weekly cycle then that's fine.

What you have to be aware of is that someone on your compact round will decide that the windows don't actually need to be cleaned every 2 weeks when doing wfp.

We bought a compact trad round where 90% of the customers were 2 weekly. We then started to get the "leave them this time as they are still clean" excuse. They wanted to skip a clean and still pay the same price - halving our income and halving their window cleaning cost. Theoretically, it would also mean that we needed to double our customer base to keep the same turnover if everyone did it. Then we started to get the "leave it till next time as they are still clean" repeat story on 4 weekly cleans.

I moved the round to 6 weeks and increased their prices. I lost 80% of the round as they all cancelled. It was an old tactic they used on the previous window cleaners when they wanted to increase prices we later discovered. (On this estate everyone knew each other so it didn't take long before news spread. I also identified the ring leader.) I took about 6 months before some started to ask us to return, but we never got all of them back. My standing my ground caused a division on the estate - us and them - it was like breaking through the striking workers picket lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are happy with the pricing you charge and your customers are happy with a 2 weekly cycle then that's fine.

What you have to be aware of is that someone on your compact round will decide that the windows don't actually need to be cleaned every 2 weeks when doing wfp.

We bought a compact trad round where 90% of the customers where 2 weekly. We then started to get the "leave them this time as they are still clean" excuse. They wanted to skip a clean and still pay the same price - halving our income and halving their window cleaning cost. Theoretically, it would also mean that we needed to double our customer base to keep the same turnover. Then we started to get the "leave it till next time as they are still clean" repeat story on 4 weekly cleans.

I moved the round to 6 weeks and increased their prices. I lost 80% of the round as they all cancelled. It was an old tactic they used on the previous window cleaners when they wanted to increase prices we later discovered. (On this estate everyone knew each other so it didn't take long before news spread. I also identified the ring leader.) I took about 6 months before some started to ask us to return, but we never got all of them back. My standing my ground caused a division on the estate - us and them - it was like breaking through the striking workers picket lines.
@spruce thank you buddy.

If anyone starts that old carryon I just dump em straight up. 

This is my local area, I know most of my cushtys, I had 0 in this area 2years ago, an now I'm near 100.

Actually I got rid of a few recently. 

Girl takes a week or two to pay, gone. 

Another lady, done few jobs for her last couple years, sound lady an pays on time, gone. 

I cleaned her windys few weeks ago, no answer at door, so I left the backs, anyway knocked on my usual night to no answer, as I was walking away to my van I heard her call my name, I turned around an she had he arms out to side an shouted, sure they weren't done. 

Now all she had to do was call me, an we could chatted, but naw she shouts across the street way her arms ot, gone. 

I'm  not taking that shite from cushty, she's a good payer buts she gone, cleaned her next door neighbors recently, she opened her back gate lol but I passed it. 

I can't wait to tell  her that I'm running a buisness I don't need cushtys shouting in street at me, no one gonna treat me like an ejit. 

Hi, see with me starting out in 2020 I have been taking 2 and 4 weekly customers as they are the most popular my area Stockton-on-tees can get pretty dirty in some areas specialy when there building in every corner of the place.

I havnt actually hit the problem yet but bookings in my diary have. So instead of trying to work through it I thought I'd ask for help, I was thinking surely my customers wont be that bothered about it being a day early or late wherever I can fit them in... head is scrambled lol thanks. Also I did fail to mention my jobs are slightly scattered at the moment with it all being new but I do drive a van with all the equipment all traditional no water fed sh#t. 
@Matty f Im based in Southbank not far from u and we do a lot of work in Stockton, ive been in this game for over 7 years and what I have learnt is that u will struggle to grow if u don't do " water fed Sh*t" ? 

I can also tell u that "water fed sh*t" is the future of window cleaning , I suggest u get with the times lad ? 

In the Teesside area doing houses once every 2 weeks is also a big no in my eyes, u will realise this for yourself when customers miss a payment and It starts building up etc.

If u need any advice/help just drop us a message ? 

Thanks for understanding. ? We work 6 times 6 weekly rounds, about 6 hundred customers in total. After each day is completed it's moved forward 6 weeks in the diary.

We work

4 to 5 days a week. Mon we don't generally do too much (ease into the week). Tues we pile it on. Wed and Thurs sometimes a little less than Tues. Friday's work we sometimes split into the other days to give us a long weekend if we're going away sea kayaking at the weekend. There is a degree of flexibility for : weather, hols, sickness etc. Most jobs range between about 7 and 10 minutes with son and I working together. (all are timed a few times a year). The times are logged on our daysheet and carried forward in the diary to the next daysheet. The jobs aren't like a first clean after 6 weeks. They're ready for a clean but mostly easy to do. If they get pooped on after we leave, that's life, I'm afraid. ? Keyboard has thrown a wobbly, sorry.

I used to offer 4 weekly and 8 weekly.  As the round got bigger through door knocking I realised it was just a pain to manage.  Some folk resent you coming every 4 weeks even when they agree to it.  If you go 6 weekly that seems the sweet spot.  I don't really feel 6 week is like a first clean.  If it is, you clearly are rubbish at cleaning windows.  

Thanks for understanding. ? We work 6 times 6 weekly rounds, about 6 hundred customers in total. After each day is completed it's moved forward 6 weeks in the diary.

We work

4 to 5 days a week. Mon we don't generally do too much (ease into the week). Tues we pile it on. Wed and Thurs sometimes a little less than Tues. Friday's work we sometimes split into the other days to give us a long weekend if we're going away sea kayaking at the weekend. There is a degree of flexibility for : weather, hols, sickness etc. Most jobs range between about 7 and 10 minutes with son and I working together. (all are timed a few times a year). The times are logged on our daysheet and carried forward in the diary to the next daysheet. The jobs aren't like a first clean after 6 weeks. They're ready for a clean but mostly easy to do. If they get pooped on after we leave, that's life, I'm afraid. ? Keyboard has thrown a wobbly, sorry.
Nice one lad, you've alot of cushtys, thanks for explaining it to me. 

Nice one lad, you've alot of cushtys, thanks for explaining it to me. 
You're very welcome Francie.

Just to give you a further idea of what can be achieved. We left the house at 9.05 this morning. We did 23 washes spread between the edge of our town and three villages, about 22 miles in total. We were finished our days work at 1.30pm with around £380 earned and 400-500 litres used. Then back to base to fill up the tank and switch on the water heater ready for tomorrow.

It's so important to be efficient.

Interesting reading you lot.. I think I'm going to pitch my round at a 6 week cycle having taking everything on board.
There will be the old one who will want an 8 weekly clean. If it fits in with you then its easier to have a 6 or 12 weekly cycle.  Those who opt for the 12 weekly cycle will soon start to moan how dirty their windows are.

Personally I would go 6 weeks only. If they want longer then fine, they must find someone else to accommodate them.

There will be the old one who will want an 8 weekly clean. If it fits in with you then its easier to have a 6 or 12 weekly cycle.  Those who opt for the 12 weekly cycle will soon start to moan how dirty their windows are.

Personally I would go 6 weeks only. If they want longer then fine, they must find someone else to accommodate them.
Yes, or pay a fair premium, in my case. ??

Interesting reading you lot.. I think I'm going to pitch my round at a 6 week cycle having taking everything on board.
It will depend on your area and what is the norm for your locality, for the last 12 years 4 weekly has been the norm for me and what people want, I manage 11-12 cleans per year with a 6 weekly cycle you will only be doing 8 cleans per years, this will of course impact on a annual turnover,

if I moved to 6 weekly I would lose £1,000's off my annual turnover as people aren't likely to accept a higher charge for a difference of 2 weeks, it maybe that in the coming years I have to move to every 5 weeks or once per calendar, which means I could achieve 10-11 cleans per year and increase my customer base, but it will be more jobs to clean for possibly the same money, that I am earning now with a smaller customer base. 

You're very welcome Francie.

Just to give you a further idea of what can be achieved. We left the house at 9.05 this morning. We did 23 washes spread between the edge of our town and three villages, about 22 miles in total. We were finished our days work at 1.30pm with around £380 earned and 400-500 litres used. Then back to base to fill up the tank and switch on the water heater ready for tomorrow.

It's so important to be efficient.
Thank you again Davy, Fairplay mate, sounds like a good day lol

What kind of property's are you an your son cleaning? 

I'm currently doing residential, an I probably wouldn't be able to get the prices you an your son have, but if I branch out in the near future an get larger houses then I might be able to expand. 

Your method sounds good lad, keep her lit, something to work towards. 

Thank you again Davy, Fairplay mate, sounds like a good day lol

What kind of property's are you an your son cleaning? 

I'm currently doing residential, an I probably wouldn't be able to get the prices you an your son have, but if I branch out in the near future an get larger houses then I might be able to expand. 

Your method sounds good lad, keep her lit, something to work towards. 
I was tired mate. Long way to go to recover from a huge operation and ongoing chemo. We do a mix of mainly domestic and we work full on: one or two terraced houses (we rarely take them on now due to accessibility to the backs). Average semis and detached are our main bread and butter. That's the mix we were working on today. We do also service a fair few very large country houses. These are mostly 8 weekly due to the cost to the customers and the time, water and effort involved to us. If you can, I'd choose your work and location. Maybe consider looking for a fairly wealthy area that's not too far away from you. That way you could also choose your time frequency to suit your preference as you'd be starting afresh in that area.

Like you said mate "Keep her lit". ??

It will depend on your area and what is the norm for your locality, for the last 12 years 4 weekly has been the norm for me and what people want, I manage 11-12 cleans per year with a 6 weekly cycle you will only be doing 8 cleans per years, this will of course impact on a annual turnover,

if I moved to 6 weekly I would lose £1,000's off my annual turnover as people aren't likely to accept a higher charge for a difference of 2 weeks, it maybe that in the coming years I have to move to every 5 weeks or once per calendar, which means I could achieve 10-11 cleans per year and increase my customer base, but it will be more jobs to clean for possibly the same money, that I am earning now with a smaller customer base. 
You could try 6 weekly spacings with new customers. You should be able to charge slightly more for the same time and effort even if it's only a few quid. It has a positive impact on income because you can fill in the spaces with other customers, again at a slightly higher rate. A hundred customers a week at an extra £2 each over the 4 week charge.Thats the way I work it out. Another important point to me is: only two visits and cleans to the same property in 12 weeks instead of three. The space in between filled with another job.

I was tired mate. Long way to go to recover from a huge operation and ongoing chemo. We do a mix of mainly domestic and we work full on: one or two terraced houses (we rarely take them on now due to accessibility to the backs). Average semis and detached are our main bread and butter. That's the mix we were working on today. We do also service a fair few very large country houses. These are mostly 8 weekly due to the cost to the customers and the time, water and effort involved to us. If you can, I'd choose your work and location. Maybe consider looking for a fairly wealthy area that's not too far away from you. That way you could also choose your time frequency to suit your preference as you'd be starting afresh in that area.

Like you said mate "Keep her lit". ??
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes @Davy G I hope your on the mend an wish you all the best buddy. 

You right Davy, I need to get out  to new territory, somewhere were I can charge more for my services, an offer them 4weekly an try an build on that along with my local run. 

Iv never knocked at doors before but I'm planning on it very soon, thanks again Davy, a wee light has come on in my head?

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes @Davy G I hope your on the mend an wish you all the best buddy. 

You right Davy, I need to get out  to new territory, somewhere were I can charge more for my services, an offer them 4weekly an try an build on that along with my local run. 

Iv never knocked at doors before but I'm planning on it very soon, thanks again Davy, a wee light has come on in my head?
Thanks Francie, I'm well on the mend but it's a slow process. Onwards and upwards with your business mate. Don't forget it's your business, not your customers.

Give em hell!..

Only joking on the last bit. ?

You could try 6 weekly spacings with new customers. You should be able to charge slightly more for the same time and effort even if it's only a few quid. It has a positive impact on income because you can fill in the spaces with other customers, again at a slightly higher rate. A hundred customers a week at an extra £2 each over the 4 week charge.Thats the way I work it out. Another important point to me is: only two visits and cleans to the same property in 12 weeks instead of three. The space in between filled with another job.
It would just mess my rounds up as I clean on average 100 jobs a week on a 4 week cycle, I would be in the same streets multiple times, the option would potentially be gaining new work on a new housing estate to be built and do it just on there, but equally that will be a pain, I just can't get my head around changing, I reckon that once per calender month but a 4 weekly cycle taking into account holidays and time off for weather etc is near enough once a month over the course of the year anyway,

Moving forward I may well sell my services as once a month rather than once every 4 weeks, I have three 6 weekly jobs and one shopfront which is 2 weekly then a few 8 weekly as well. 

4 weekly work means I get 12 cleans in a year even after holidays/time off,most of my work is 4 weekly,I do have 8 weekly work too which makes up around a third of my round,as well as annual/bi annual,some 6/12weekly....I dont care what frequency tbh.....

It would just mess my rounds up as I clean on average 100 jobs a week on a 4 week cycle, I would be in the same streets multiple times, the option would potentially be gaining new work on a new housing estate to be built and do it just on there, but equally that will be a pain, I just can't get my head around changing, I reckon that once per calender month but a 4 weekly cycle taking into account holidays and time off for weather etc is near enough once a month over the course of the year anyway,

Moving forward I may well sell my services as once a month rather than once every 4 weeks, I have three 6 weekly jobs and one shopfront which is 2 weekly then a few 8 weekly as well. 
You're right, it's difficult to work different spaces in once you're already busy. That's why I suggested to the op that if it were me starting out again I'd make 6 weekly the base from the beginning. I have a few 8s and 12s but we manage to work them in without too much difficulty. They are bigger houses in outlying villages so can be scheduled together and priced slightly higher.

We have also found that customers on entry level new build estates aren't always the best long term customers. They sometimes over extend themselves financially and good intentions, such as clean windows, can be a dream which may not end up to be the reality. A local lad who does gardening services says the same - his advice to me was to stay away from entry level new build estates. 

Amazingly though, these new estates are 'swamped' with window cleaners distributing leaflets offering their services. I haven't had one through our door for a long time now.

Back