Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

8mm vs 6mm main hose

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Considering they are all near enough the same price and the purpose the hoses are made and sold for they should be made well enough to last a minimum of 2 years, not a throw away item with 12 months 
I change our hoses aprox every 2-3 years they get some serious abuse dragging around sharp pebble dash houses , some hose on the free standing reels is 4-6 years old and used on commercial so has a much easier life 

I change our hoses aprox every 2-3 years they get some serious abuse dragging around sharp pebble dash houses , some hose on the free standing reels is 4-6 years old and used on commercial so has a much easier life 
Yours will likely get far more use than mine with the amount of jobs you get through, Putting my order in now with Grippa 

I have the streamline hose 6mm. I have had it 3 1/2 years now. Got a few bits wearing but still ok. I’m going to do what @spruce said and turn it round on the reel 30 meters or more are unused. My next job. 

I have the streamline hose 6mm. I have had it 3 1/2 years now. Got a few bits wearing but still ok. I’m going to do what @spruce said and turn it round on the reel 30 meters or more are unused. My next job. 
I have flipped mine once and do every 6 months, I'll flip it today after work, as I've been in touch with Oliver at GrippaTank and he said they have exceptional volumes of orders to process currently, I ordered from GrippaTank as I wanted a new brush as well and it's the only other place that sell Gardiners brushes. 

I have flipped mine once and do every 6 months, I'll flip it today after work, as I've been in touch with Oliver at GrippaTank and he said they have exceptional volumes of orders to process currently, I ordered from GrippaTank as I wanted a new brush as well and it's the only other place that sell Gardiners brushes. 
I haven’t flipped mine at all. I do have a piece of about 12 ins that looks like it’s unwound and worn in the under layer right in the middle so can’t cut it off, maybe I should buy a spare. 
nits easier to get both at the same time. Pity Alex has stopped selling it. 

What's happening? Is there a dramatic increase in sales due to more and more newbies? Or is it a staffing issue due to social distancing, self isolation etc due to the spread of Corona virus everywhere? Or is it that product is getting harder and harder to source due to world issues both economically and environmentally or a mixture of all of them?

My wife works for a company and her job is to source product. She's finding it more and more difficult to find suppliers with stock of what they need. Their purchase supplier's ledger is totally different today from what it was a year ago.

I haven’t flipped mine at all. I do have a piece of about 12 ins that looks like it’s unwound and worn in the under layer right in the middle so can’t cut it off, maybe I should buy a spare. 
nits easier to get both at the same time. Pity Alex has stopped selling it. 
Its always worth considering keeping some 'parts' on the shelf at home. In days gone by obtaining a part was a phone call away and it would arrive next day mostly.

Now we can't guarantee that. Its tough to decide what you should carry at home and what you shouldn't bother with. Do you carry a spare pump, a spare controller or even a replacement pole?

I had the roll of microbore in my garage for over a year before I put it on my hose reel.

Its always worth considering keeping some 'parts' on the shelf at home. In days gone by obtaining a part was a phone call away and it would arrive next day mostly.

Now we can't guarantee that. Its tough to decide what you should carry at home and what you shouldn't bother with. Do you carry a spare pump, a spare controller or even a replacement pole?

I had the roll of microbore in my garage for over a year before I put it on my hose reel.
Thanks for that. I have spare stuff but not a controller or hose reel. Everything else. I’m about 10 miles away from a window cleaning supplier so it’s ok, but I guess him having stock could get a problem. 

What's happening? Is there a dramatic increase in sales due to more and more newbies? Or is it a staffing issue due to social distancing, self isolation etc due to the spread of Corona virus everywhere? Or is it that product is getting harder and harder to source due to world issues both economically and environmentally or a mixture of all of them?

My wife works for a company and her job is to source product. She's finding it more and more difficult to find suppliers with stock of what they need. Their purchase supplier's ledger is totally different today from what it was a year ago.
Could be a bit of both after emailing Oliver this morning a very helpful sales team member called Emily rang me to say it's out of stock so I am been provided with 100m of the thermobore hose for the same price she said there is a 4 week lead time on the standard 6mm hose and the Xtreme flocked I wanted also had a 4 week lead time.

I had an email from Oliver before 7am this morning and 3 phone calls from Emily today to sort out my order so excellent customer service from @GrippaTANK ??

Could be a bit of both after emailing Oliver this morning a very helpful sales team member called Emily rang me to say it's out of stock so I am been provided with 100m of the thermobore hose for the same price she said there is a 4 week lead time on the standard 6mm hose and the Xtreme flocked I wanted also had a 4 week lead time.

I had an email from Oliver before 7am this morning and 3 phone calls from Emily today to sort out my order so excellent customer service from @GrippaTANK ??
Isn't the thermobore much stiffer due to its heat retention. If you are running cold water then it might be more difficult to use than what you already have.

Isn't the thermobore much stiffer due to its heat retention. If you are running cold water then it might be more difficult to use than what you already have.
The thermobore is good hose but it’s a bit heavier than the yellow , when it’s been used fir hot wager if you then use cold with it it is quite stiff but the yellow microbore dies exactly the same thing stuff as a board when cold used but with hot it softens it up 

I think the problem with getting certain supplies is due to the 3 month lockdown earlier in the year....my missus is an interior designer and a lot of factories and manufacturing warehouses shut down during that time so theres been a knock on affect for lots of different businesses...I dont think its because of newbies starting up!

I'd got my hose from pure freedom, 8mm, 100 meters of, 3 years ago. No sign of any leaks etc as yet. Do a lot of them sell the same hose, just with their name typed on?

The thermobore is good hose but it’s a bit heavier than the yellow , when it’s been used fir hot wager if you then use cold with it it is quite stiff but the yellow microbore dies exactly the same thing stuff as a board when cold used but with hot it softens it up 
I'm in a dilemma as to what to do about the thermobore as I don't wanting to be chewing on with it if it's not a practical cold water hose to use on a daily basis if it's going to twist and kink and be a p.i.a to use 

I'm in a dilemma as to what to do about the thermobore as I don't wanting to be chewing on with it if it's not a practical cold water hose to use on a daily basis if it's going to twist and kink and be a p.i.a to use 
It won’t twist and kink but it is a bit heavier , in your situation the yellow microbore would probably be better 

It won’t twist and kink but it is a bit heavier , in your situation the yellow microbore would probably be better 
Thanks Paul, I am now also thinking will it fit on my PowerUp reel with it having a 12mm OD did you have any on your reels before you switched to the new 3D reels

Just seen a video online it looks way too big for my reel and checked measurements of 12mm just shy of 1/2 an inch no way 100m of 1/2" hose is going to fit on my reel 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul, I am now also thinking will it fit on my PowerUp reel with it having a 12mm OD did you have any on your reels before you switched to the new 3D reels

Just seen a video online it looks way too big for my reel and checked measurements of 12mm just shy of 1/2 an inch no way 100m of 1/2" hose is going to fit on my reel 
I had 100 meters of the thermo hose +30 meters of pole hose on both the HD reels and the 3D ones 

6B21DC0D-F498-45AC-8E0C-8F1DF8EFDDE1.jpeg

BF89BFD5-DE07-4BE2-85AC-A1D4AA620777.jpeg

C43360B4-D05F-41CE-AA1A-2AC1FDD00A09.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back