Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cedar cladding cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

matt1458

Hi all, been asked to quote to clean these cedar cladding shingles (they run all the way around the building). Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way of going about it / any particular chemical that'll make life any easier?

Cheers
Matt
IMG_0115.JPG

Why do they want them cleaning what’s on them ???
Probably not the best pic, another one attached showing more - there's a fair amount of algae on there (and potentially the black lichen as @scottish cleaning service suggests.

I've just been reading an article that says "buildings clad in cedar cladding can have a really miserable look after wet weather, having a dark, wet and blotchy appearance. It is hard to think of a cladding that would seem shoddier after wet weather"

To be honest, I'm happy to give them a bash with pure and patch test hypo on it, but I'm not really sure what they're supposed to look like when they're clean?!IMG_0114.jpg

Cedar cladding looks great when it is first put on. Even sealing with an outside varnish doesn't last long up here in Scotland. It always turns black and ghastly looking. Better to replace with rosewood PVC which will last well and look well. I'm a joiner to trade and always like working with cedar but only if its fitted inside a building because I know the outcome when it is fitted outside where the weather will effect its appearance.

Cedar cladding looks great when it is first put on. Even sealing with an outside varnish doesn't last long up here in Scotland. It always turns black and ghastly looking. Better to replace with rosewood PVC which will last well and look well. I'm a joiner to trade and always like working with cedar but only if its fitted inside a building because I know the outcome when it is fitted outside where the weather will effect its appearance.
Makes sense, so the likelihood of getting them back to the red / brown look is pretty slim? I'm seeing a few photos online of wooden cladding cleaned and looking almost new.. but a lot of them mention they steam clean them, which obviously we can't do. Wondering if I just offer a patch test and go from there to be honest

I would try experimenting with a hypo mix at different strengths on an area that’s out of the way , Ime not saying they will come up like new but sure they would look a lot better than they do I would try a 10-1 mix first see what happens ,then depending on results 6-1 mix .
@kevinc250 maybe able to offer some advice , maybe a bio mix could do something???

I would try experimenting with a hypo mix at different strengths on an area that’s out of the way , Ime not saying they will come up like new but sure they would look a lot better than they do I would try a 10-1 mix first see what happens ,then depending on results 6-1 mix .
@kevinc250 maybe able to offer some advice , maybe a bio mix could do something???
Going by the colour of them I think they would need to be bleached. I think only solution is removal and replace with PVC. fwiw

I would try a hypo mix it will bring them up a lot better than they look at the moment, not sure if bio would also clean them up over time
Suggested we patch test it with hypo and see what happens, then if they want to go ahead at least they’ll have seen what they’re getting.

For context this is one building on a school site that we’re also looking to get the windows on and they had mentioned maybe next year they’ll paint them so I guess anything better than nothing.

Bloody love school season we’ve got them seemingly coming out of our ears ?

Suggested we patch test it with hypo and see what happens, then if they want to go ahead at least they’ll have seen what they’re getting.

For context this is one building on a school site that we’re also looking to get the windows on and they had mentioned maybe next year they’ll paint them so I guess anything better than nothing.

Bloody love school season we’ve got them seemingly coming out of our ears ?
Evan if they are going to paint them the mould and algae will need killing off first or it will grow through the paint

For your info I remember reading a post on the Benz website about the same kind of job they'd just done with before and after pics. They used a combination of Lightning Cleanze and Bio Cleanze and the post goes into the dilution rates used and process etc. You should look it up as guidance.

For your info I remember reading a post on the Benz website about the same kind of job they'd just done with before and after pics. They used a combination of Lightning Cleanze and Bio Cleanze and the post goes into the dilution rates used and process etc. You should look it up as guidance.
This the one?

Looks exactly like the job. So bio cleanze is their biocide and lightning cleanze is their hypo? This is where I start to get confused with the Benz site as I was always under the impression bio and hypo were two very different processes, yet lightning cleanze says it’s hypochlorite biocide ?

I’ve been looking at other companies as well and the cynic in me always wonders if some of these (not saying Benz are at all) products are just hypo by another name?!

If there is a chemical in science that does the job then one will find it in everyone's ingredients to do the job. They will call it a different name but if you look at the ingredients it will be there. Companies would prefer you buy their application rather than making your own.

This the one?

Looks exactly like the job. So bio cleanze is their biocide and lightning cleanze is their hypo? This is where I start to get confused with the Benz site as I was always under the impression bio and hypo were two very different processes, yet lightning cleanze says it’s hypochlorite biocide ?

I’ve been looking at other companies as well and the cynic in me always wonders if some of these (not saying Benz are at all) products are just hypo by another name?!
Yes I agree it is a bit confusing, hypochlorite comes under the chemical heading of biocides , although it’s a bleach , Ime sure @Dave B or @kevinc250 will be able it explain why ,both have a very good knowledge on this subject.

Yes I agree it is a bit confusing, hypochlorite comes under the chemical heading of biocides , although it’s a bleach , Ime sure @Dave B or @kevinc250 will be able it explain why ,both have a very good knowledge on this subject.
I read/heard something the other day that suggested a company can register 'their' hypo as a biocide and basically they have to provide chemical formula and usage instructions. Then as a Biocide, legally you are not allowed to add anything to it unless it's approved by the supplier!! So no adding a surfactant from a 3rd party seller. Again if something is registered as a biocide I think you need PA1 and PA6 to be paid to treat things!
If it's just hypo I don't think that legally it is classed as a biocide so less regulation in it's use.

All the above could be completely wrong as I am no expert in anything chemical wise. So don't think it's gospel, as @Pjj said much more knowledgeable people round here than me!!!

Just to follow up, here’s a mini patch test with pure, 6:1 hypo, then pure again.

Customer is happy and wants to go ahead so I’ll take that

441CB18C-9F25-4318-8393-67C314970531.jpeg

Wet it down with tap water first get it nice and wet then apply the hypo mix so that it will stay on the surface and not sink in , I wouldn’t use pure for rinsing just use garden hose
Annoyingly had to use pure for the test because no other water supply at the time, but set water supply as a condition on the quote to do the full job

Latest Posts

Back