Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is it ok to do WFP cleaning in -2 my first winter doing it

WCF

Help Support WCF:

First issue is getting the system going. You'll need to bang a heater in the van overnight. I used to stick mine on a timer so it wasn't on all night but was on long enough to stop the system freezing.
Second issue is how cold you're gonna get. Good gloves, plenty of layers and some hand warmers are a must. Don't plan in as much work as usual. You need to leave time for sitting in your van swearing at your hands because of how painful they are :ROFLMAO:
Next issue is safety around the customers property. Get yourself some rock salt and throw it down outside the doors and on any paths where people may walk when you're finished.
Final issue is the hoses freezing part way through a job. Running water doesn't freeze, just keep working as fast as you can and you'll be alright. If it gets particularly cold I would even consider fitting a return to tank hose so you can keep the water flowing between jobs.

Going to be fun this week barely getting to freezing most days.

-2 is pushing it, Ive found the cut off point is around minus 1 with cold water but a lot depends on if the house rooms are heated.

Just go out and try you never really know till you are out there

remember to get a heater in your van overnight, and drain the system dry. In the morning take a barrel of boiling water with you in case you need to defrost anything.

Make sure you shake your brush after each job to get as much water off it and out of the jets to avoid freezing. If you disconnect pole hose and have a univalve open the univalve then disconnect pole hose they you can drain the water and shake off the brush.
Run hose over grass when ever possible as it's not as cold as concrete etc.
Watch conservatory windows as they may well be unheater rooms so water freezes on glass.

sometimes lads, you have to admit defeat to good old mother nature, the work will still be there tommorrow or the day after and theres no point in beating yourself up about it, i'm up north and tommorrow is around 1 but a wind chill of -3 ,tuesday is snow and rain and then ok after that according to the forecast so, two days off for me i have things to do, carpets need cleaning at home, i've a motor cycle to finish restoring, reacher on amazon to catch up with, you can still catch up with work when its warmer and safer to do so, its not all about money its about being safe and when you get to my age keeping warm.

All of the above is good advice, I always avoid any houses with conservatories if I am working in freezing temperatures until the temperature has risen around midday as people often don't have the heating on in the conservatory

sometimes lads, you have to admit defeat to good old mother nature, the work will still be there tommorrow or the day after and theres no point in beating yourself up about it, i'm up north and tommorrow is around 1 but a wind chill of -3 ,tuesday is snow and rain and then ok after that according to the forecast so, two days off for me i have things to do, carpets need cleaning at home, i've a motor cycle to finish restoring, reacher on amazon to catch up with, you can still catch up with work when its warmer and safer to do so, its not all about money its about being safe and when you get to my age keeping warm.
Well we're 310 miles from home, with hotels booked and paid for, so don't really have the option of chickening out ?

All of the above is good advice, I always avoid any houses with conservatories if I am working in freezing temperatures until the temperature has risen around midday as people often don't have the heating on in the conservatory
Why not just skip the conservatory and charge a lower price, I only have 2 jobs tomorrow with connys but I won't be skipping those jobs, - 1c with a real feel of - 7c for most of tomorrow in my neck of the woods.

I'll be in the barrel first thing in the morning to get me fired up ??

If its just one day then I agree. However this looks like all week where I am anyway. Minus 2 on a morning and struggling to get to freezing.

Personally I'd rather text the customers and see what it's like in the morning before giving up.

Real feel isn't important.. put more clothes on its the actual temp that will determine if the job can be done.

Normally I'd work down to 0 degrees then probably stop for risk of ice. But given the weather in December, the van breaking down the 1st day back, and then getting Covid for the last 10 days, I haven't really got much choice, 5 days a week for me for the rest of winter come rain or shine?

First day back at work tomorrow after being in Tenerife where it was 26 degrees or above most days.
Normally I just take time off when it’s really cold, but I’ve only worked 3 days since the 20th December as I’ve been abroad.
I never, ever dread my job.
I am tomorrow though ???

I'd sooner crack on even when it's as cold as it is because it's dry sunny weather when the snow comes if it does then not much chance of me going anywhere if we get a fair bit as I live high up and it's big steep banks to go up and down which I won't risk my van tackling those,

There should be no catching up on Reacher ? I get peed off when each episode ends as I get so engrossed, I can't be doing with waiting another year when this season finishes

-4 is the cut off for me or if there's thick snow on the ground.im more worried about crashing the van than water freezing on the glass.

I have grit and a sweeping brush to get rid of standing water on my last few jobs of the day.

i also just grit some elderly customers driveways as a courtesy thing.they really appreciate it!??

I'd sooner crack on even when it's as cold as it is because it's dry sunny weather when the snow comes if it does then not much chance of me going anywhere if we get a fair bit as I live high up and it's big steep banks to go up and down which I won't risk my van tackling those,

There should be no catching up on Reacher ? I get peed off when each episode ends as I get so engrossed, I can't be doing with waiting another year when this season finishes
i like to binge watch a few episodes so i do get engrossed, likewise it pees me off when its one episode at a time is aired hence me binge watching.
its sunny here at the moment and i suppose i could have gone out and done a bit but managed to clean the carpets at home so the wife will be very happy, only for today though :unsure:

Did a big house conny roof and gutters
Have to do the front gutters next week as north facing and still frozen solid
The rear was warm and easy
Better than wasting all day at home and only just over a mile away

Get a waterheater! Good investment, worked all day in -6 the other day, output around 40 degress , then prob around 30 at the brush. We have had minus quite a while over here, and never missed a day. But as mentioned, do remember to use salt after splashing around. And do not turn off your water at any time from start to finish.

Latest Posts

Back