Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Making the most of the situation.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

10 have so far died sadly. And the number in the end will be much greater. It's going to pick off those older (and some other) ones struggling with their health. But keep it in perspective. 10 die every 48 hours on our roads. And a much greater number die each year from flu. 
You are of course correct - at present however what you are forgetting is that this is not flu. It's not road kill. This is a highly contagious and deadly virus that has spread around the globe incredibly quickly. It's even got into the cabinet wasting no time in doing so.

It's the british thing to say keep calm and carry on however nobodies luck carries on forever and at some point everyones luck runs out. There is a reason why governments and medics around the globe are scared of this virus.

China acted (albeit too late) and they've got on top of it. Boris's answer to this is "a lot of you will die" while he stands by idly and does as little as possible.

You are of course correct - at present however what you are forgetting is that this is not flu. It's not road kill. This is a highly contagious and deadly virus that has spread around the globe incredibly quickly. It's even got into the cabinet wasting no time in doing so.

It's the british thing to say keep calm and carry on however nobodies luck carries on forever and at some point everyones luck runs out. There is a reason why governments and medics around the globe are scared of this virus.

China acted (albeit too late) and they've got on top of it. Boris's answer to this is "a lot of you will die" while he stands by idly and does as little as possible.
Without wanting to sound harsh and uncaring each year around 50-60 thousand people due from flu/ the common cold throughout the world , covid 19 ,1,700 have died so it’s hardly a deadly virus is it ??? It’s being blown out of all proportion by the media , a few years ago it was , swine flu then bird flu now it’s covid 19 and next year it will be something else 

I got my first Covid19 cancellation this afternoon.

Long standing customer and booked in yesterday for Tuesday morning.

She phoned today to say that they are heading up to their second home in the north of Scotland for a couple of weeks to see this out.

I have a feeling this is going to happen more as the days and weeks pass.

There could be a pretty grim times ahead.

Every cloud though the streets are quiet and I got to my first job this morning in under 15 minutes when it usually takes 30-40.

Ooh Col, look at your and your fancy second home customers ? - I reckon 5% will follow suit - most are more pragmatic - calm down and carry on cleaning - is my mantra - I use my local atm this am behind a guy in rbber gloves and mask 

Without wanting to sound harsh and uncaring each year around 50-60 thousand people due from flu/ the common cold throughout the world , covid 19 ,1,700 have died so it’s hardly a deadly virus is it ??? It’s being blown out of all proportion by the media , a few years ago it was , swine flu then bird flu now it’s covid 19 and next year it will be something else 
In 1918 c50million people died of Spanish flu. (Which also came from China)

Ooh Col, look at your and your fancy second home customers ? - I reckon 5% will follow suit - most are more pragmatic - calm down and carry on cleaning - is my mantra - I use my local atm this am behind a guy in rbber gloves and mask 
Hi NoName

I have been in this game for well over 30 years and have battered through recessions and weather freak storms and shrugged them off.

Something about this doesn't feel right though and I think it will affect us in different ways admittedly.

My client base is mostly domestic and mostly trad but is reliant on large jobs being booked in for inside out cleans on a fairly regular basis.

I still have regular weekly commercial and monthly private jobs but I feel the way things are going that people are not going to want someone coming into their homes whether the fact I wear disposable gloves and shoe covers or not.

I think the estate outside work will continue though it has been a long time since i touched council.

We will get through this and I am glad I gave up smoking five years ago but I can't get over the fact that somebody in China thought eating a bat was a good idea has left me with no football this weekend?

Take care

Col.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's upon us. Mass hysteria and the worse is yet to come! Services have supposedly been hit by around 80%, so new customers could be harder to come by right now. Impressions on Google Ads are at an all time low for me.

What precautions are you taking to minimise the risk to you, your business & your customers?

I'm thinking about using sanitiser on areas of human contact (doors) or maybe even missing doors completely so bacteria cant be transferred one house to another.

I'm also thinking about adding a self-isolation message to my nightly texts so if anyone is self-isolating they need to let me know, so their clean can be rearranged.

What are your thoughts and actions for the time being?

My vast list of precautions amount to ..........zero.

I'm just carrying on doing what I'm doing talking to customers, sometimes handling cash and not getting caught up in the hyperbole that is coronavirus......and that's it .......viruses come and go.

I got my first Covid19 cancellation this afternoon.

Long standing customer and booked in yesterday for Tuesday morning.

She phoned today to say that they are heading up to their second home in the north of Scotland for a couple of weeks to see this out.
So have they got Covid-19 and decided to jump in the car and travel to another house?

As with anything and everything it's each to their own. Opinions will vary.

But when this is done with I'll be amazed if we're looking at black death or Spanish flu numbers. But that is the kind of hysteria that's being created. Somebody quoted 50 million for Spanish flu. I'd be amazed if the death toll for this gets to 50,000. But we'll see I guess.

In terms of politicians and experts reacting and taking it so seriously. So they should - its their job. They're responsibility is to ensure that we don't have another black death. 

The media hype and panic - it's what they do. Sensationalise to sell.

Financial stuff and markets - lots of traders love this stuff. Some will be making their fortune. And in the coming months the money will be back where it was. 

Debt - more and more are going to be deeper in debt. Mass populations are much easier to control and manipulate when in debt. It also makes them better consumers.

Government - will certainly take more powers. Globally too. And we'll let them! 

And in 6 months we'll be back to arguing over VAR or which celebrity the public want the press to hound. We'll be back to buying toilet roll at pre coronavirus levels! In a few years we'll look back at this like we now look back SARS from the early noughties. Then in another few years something else will come along...and we'll fall for it again!! 

Religion used to be used to keep people in their place by fear. Now that religion, particularly in the science driven West, is less popular, it's just pure fear that's used. Buy in to it by all means but this really is being blown hugely out of proportion. 

Follow the money, see what things governments and big businesses get through and see how much less freedom we have going forward.

People have to be smart about this but we also need to keep a level head and not panic. 

The problem the world has, is the folk in Government. These folk have no experience of what to do. That's why experience is the worst teacher, it gives the test before the lesson. The next time it happens we will be better prepared because all we will do is look back at what happened this time. What people want is a prepared procedure so they have an idea of their future, what they don't want is to be left in the dark. These things always happen because a Government cover's it up. It was the same with Chernobyl, deny it right away until it becomes obvious. 

1918 Medical knowledge/procedures/equipment/drugs/therapies Vs 2020's - I think we'll all be fine (or 99.9999% will) 

Wasn't until 1945 that the first flu vaccine was developed...not to mention all the kit they have in hospitals/drugs/understanding - they can even breathe for you (ventilators)! It's not a 'real' (like for like) comparison to compare where we are today versus previous centuries (or even decades - it's all moved on so much - AIDS can be now be 'cured' - permanent remission - cancer is no longer a death sentence that it used to be...etc.... keep calm and carry on (with sensible precautions to protect the most vulnerable) 

Last edited by a moderator:
As with anything and everything it's each to their own. Opinions will vary.

But when this is done with I'll be amazed if we're looking at black death or Spanish flu numbers. But that is the kind of hysteria that's being created. Somebody quoted 50 million for Spanish flu. I'd be amazed if the death toll for this gets to 50,000. But we'll see I guess.

In terms of politicians and experts reacting and taking it so seriously. So they should - its their job. They're responsibility is to ensure that we don't have another black death. 

The media hype and panic - it's what they do. Sensationalise to sell.

Financial stuff and markets - lots of traders love this stuff. Some will be making their fortune. And in the coming months the money will be back where it was. 

Debt - more and more are going to be deeper in debt. Mass populations are much easier to control and manipulate when in debt. It also makes them better consumers.

Government - will certainly take more powers. Globally too. And we'll let them! 

And in 6 months we'll be back to arguing over VAR or which celebrity the public want the press to hound. We'll be back to buying toilet roll at pre coronavirus levels! In a few years we'll look back at this like we now look back SARS from the early noughties. Then in another few years something else will come along...and we'll fall for it again!! 

Religion used to be used to keep people in their place by fear. Now that religion, particularly in the science driven West, is less popular, it's just pure fear that's used. Buy in to it by all means but this really is being blown hugely out of proportion. 

Follow the money, see what things governments and big businesses get through and see how much less freedom we have going forward.

People have to be smart about this but we also need to keep a level head and not panic. 
Totally. Control is what they want. These bastados who really pull the strings and run the world, few would believe what they discuss and scheme for us masses.

Possibly some very very smart person in China a long time ago planned and watched countries sale themselves down the river and China became the manufacturing hub of the world, it no doubt has as many countries over a barrel as their virus has effected, the biggest player of them all and if they create a vaccine first they will have every country lined up ready and willing to part with as much cash as they need to. 

I once thought Google would become Skynet, then Amazon, China is in the line up now ? the common man is like a lamb to slaughter and clearly some of the world leaders now 

Tech co (Apple/Google/AI firms) are building 'skynets' read this book now - it's a little hard going but very insightful and totally true...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/02/age-of-surveillance-capitalism-shoshana-zuboff-review 
I don't really do hard going books, but I am in agreement with you and saw elements of this coming although not back in 1988 when I was 13 years old, I watched the Amazon documentary on the BBC the other week and it's very engineered to harvesting data I would guess maybe Jeff Bezos has read the book and also the rest of them

I like to maintain a bubble of sorts and not get too ingrained in things so I can happily plod on in life, a bubble is good so we can all stay on our happy path and not be to influenced by the bombardment of the many things in our modern world 

Back