Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Small apartment block quoting

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clarkus84

I have been asked to quote on a small apartment block. There's 35 sets of windows and doors to be done, pretty straight forward.I know they will want them done every 3 months so I'm wondering how to go about the quote.i know if it is every 3 months I will basically be spending twice as much time there as I would monthly.i would like the contract so don't want to go in too high.i know a few of you lads do things like this so any advice would be appreciated.

I have been asked to quote on a small apartment block. There's 35 sets of windows and doors to be done, pretty straight forward.I know they will want them done every 3 months so I'm wondering how to go about the quote.i know if it is every 3 months I will basically be spending twice as much time there as I would monthly.i would like the contract so don't want to go in too high.i know a few of you lads do things like this so any advice would be appreciated.

How long do do you think it will take you ? If it will take you an hour price it at 1.5 hours so you are covering yourself + add a bit for it being  3 months 

How long do do you think it will take you ? If it will take you an hour price it at 1.5 hours so you are covering yourself + add a bit for it being  3 months 
I'd say it'll take just over an hour but because it's going to be every 3 months was thinking around the £70 mark.just not sure if that sounds a bit on the expensive side for what it is but I know the frames will need a good going over every time as the place is surrounded by trees so will be stinking

I'd say it'll take just over an hour but because it's going to be every 3 months was thinking around the £70 mark.just not sure if that sounds a bit on the expensive side for what it is but I know the frames will need a good going over every time as the place is surrounded by trees so will be stinking
As has been said pictures would help but £70 for an hour is good only you can decide what to charge 

Don't know your area and prices that are achievable there but my advice would be, from experience, to get £70 for an hours work then it would have to be 5 floors high.
My thinking is it would take me an hour if it was monthly but I know they'll want it done 3 monthly.the place is surrounded by trees so I think it'll be like a first clean each time so I'll probably spend close to 2hours there. 

There's 6 apartments there so £23.33 per month for the whole place between them all really isn't that much I think

Last edited by a moderator:
My thinking is it would take me an hour if it was monthly but I know they'll want it done 3 monthly.the place is surrounded by trees so I think it'll be like a first clean each time so I'll probably spend close to 2hours there

I had a block of council offices/children's care centre on a ground floor plan done every 4 weeks. It had 33 windows, 8 tiny toilet windows and 7 doors. Hose management was an issue but in the 12 years I had the job I couldn't get it below 1hour 40 minutes. It was closer to 2 hours altogether. The windows weren't difficult.

In theory each window should only have taken around 30 seconds to wash and rinse, so I could never understand where the time went. It was done over a weekend so no one to talk to.

We had 2 blocks of apartments over 3 floors, ground, first and second floor. There were 29 apartments altogther and each apartment on the first and second floor had Juilet balconies.

That job used to take 2 of us 3 hours (6 hours altogether).

My thinking is it would take me an hour if it was monthly but I know they'll want it done 3 monthly.the place is surrounded by trees so I think it'll be like a first clean each time so I'll probably spend close to 2hours there. 

There's 6 apartments there so £23.33 per month for the whole place between them all really isn't that much I think
My experience tells me that they would have to be massive apartments and very dirty not to be able to clean 6 apartments within an hour. You said it was relatively straight forward and asked for advice, which I gave you. If you already know how long it was going to take why ask for advice?

My experience tells me that they would have to be massive apartments and very dirty not to be able to clean 6 apartments within an hour. You said it was relatively straight forward and asked for advice, which I gave you. If you already know how long it was going to take why ask for advice?
I was simply asking because a lot of you lads have more experience in dealing with these sort of things.i don't want to put a quote in and be kicking myself after. 

I have a lot of experience with this type of work and willingly gave my advice to you. You then decided you knew everything and poo poo'd my advice, and then told us how long it was going to take to justify your £70. You, not me, actually said you thought it would take you an hour on a 3 monthly cycle then said because it was 3 months it would take you 2 hours. I know this will sound harsh but honestly if it takes you 2 hours to clean 6 apartments you shouldn't go after this type of work.

I have a lot of experience with this type of work and willingly gave my advice to you. You then decided you knew everything and poo poo'd my advice, and then told us how long it was going to take to justify your £70. You, not me, actually said you thought it would take you an hour on a 3 monthly cycle then said because it was 3 months it would take you 2 hours. I know this will sound harsh but honestly if it takes you 2 hours to clean 6 apartments you shouldn't go after this type of work.
It takes me a 1hour 15 to clean 6 flats in a block (I do two blocks together) but I spend less time cleaning and more time moving hoses, etc. 2hours 30 from pull up to pull away. As much as I try I just cant get it quicker! Though Ive just gotten a 35cm brush so this may be a game changer!

On that note, @Part Timer, your a big fan of the 35cm. I understand why now! What jets do you use? I got 4 50º and 4 2mm pencils and find the 50º a lot better (the pencils just didn't seem have any pressure). I'm running at around 2L a minute. 

It takes me a 1hour 15 to clean 6 flats in a block (I do two blocks together) but I spend less time cleaning and more time moving hoses, etc. 2hours 30 from pull up to pull away. As much as I try I just cant get it quicker! Though Ive just gotten a 35cm brush so this may be a game changer!

On that note, @Part Timer, your a big fan of the 35cm. I understand why now! What jets do you use? I got 4 50º and 4 2mm pencils and find the 50º a lot better (the pencils just didn't seem have any pressure). I'm running at around 2L a minute. 
Prefer the 45cm brush with 4 x 2mm pencil jets, use a 35cm brush only on 4 floors and above. Tried the fan jets and can't get away with them so stick with the pencil jets. Next brush might try the 1.4mm jets. Have a very similar flow to you, fraction under that. 

Prefer the 45cm brush with 4 x 2mm pencil jets, use a 35cm brush only on 4 floors and above. Tried the fan jets and can't get away with them so stick with the pencil jets. Next brush might try the 1.4mm jets. Have a very similar flow to you, fraction under that. 
Oww, 45cm, I didn’t even know they did them! Where does one find such a beast!

See I find, at least with the brushes I use (universal), the 50° fan jets are a mix between the pencils and full on spray of a 100°. Slightly wider than a pencil at close range but still a very visible and defined impact, meaning you can target bits left on. I do actually love the 100° but find them really noisy and they spray off the window soaks you! 

See Im use to that flow running out only 2 pencil jets, so when I switched to 4 it seemed like nothing coming out of them. I’ve heard about the 1.4. I suppose with the new Gardiner system, if your using their brushes, it’s super easy to switch and try without having to involve hammers, lol!

Oww, 45cm, I didn’t even know they did them! Where does one find such a beast!

See I find, at least with the brushes I use (universal), the 50° fan jets are a mix between the pencils and full on spray of a 100°. Slightly wider than a pencil at close range but still a very visible and defined impact, meaning you can target bits left on. I do actually love the 100° but find them really noisy and they spray off the window soaks you! 

See Im use to that flow running out only 2 pencil jets, so when I switched to 4 it seemed like nothing coming out of them. I’ve heard about the 1.4. I suppose with the new Gardiner system, if your using their brushes, it’s super easy to switch and try without having to involve hammers, lol!

Gardiners sell them in their Ultimate range

1:15 hours to clean 6 flats ??????? What are you doing we do a 2- 3 storey block with 48 flats and all internal communal windows in 2:5 hours ,the pictures below are about half of the building 

15AD03B7-7C1C-44CC-9E25-041808DC3D2A.jpeg

80E317F4-6186-48BE-8340-4FD8FB60AFED.jpeg

24A315CA-E288-4B23-BB76-9C7DDB3AE92A.jpeg

91D02C8F-33C1-460A-9C0A-BFE1F9766A1A.jpeg

05DD2B77-4E69-4F3D-8ABB-F0D14B10EFE2.jpeg

A4A5C141-AD52-448F-A058-EFCCA168C883.jpeg

1:15 hours to clean 6 flats ??????? What are you doing we do a 2- 3 storey block with 48 flats and all internal communal windows in 2:5 hours ,the pictures below are about half of the building 

View attachment 17764

View attachment 17765

View attachment 17766

View attachment 17767

View attachment 17768

View attachment 17769
When you say 'we' how many of you is that? And by the looks of your pictures access is pretty simple. When I do the back of these blocks I can only do some many then drop down due to the way the gardens are divided up. I'll put a picture below of the style of flat, I don't have any of the actual ones we do.

image.png

When you say 'we' how many of you is that? And by the looks of your pictures access is pretty simple. When I do the back of these blocks I can only do some many then drop down due to the way the gardens are divided up. I'll put a picture below of the style of flat, I don't have any of the actual ones we do.

View attachment 17770

Two people , access is good but have to join two hose reels together on the back of the property lots of small pains of glass slowes us down a bit we do another one with one big pain of glass top and one bottom we do that one in 1;5 hours we do a lot of work all over the country for this firm 

Two people , access is good but have to join two hose reels together on the back of the property lots of small pains of glass slowes us down a bit we do another one with one big pain of glass top and one bottom we do that one in 1;5 hours we do a lot of work all over the country for this firm 
Good work that. I'm just myself. Like I said, I spend more time moving the equipment than cleaning the windows. Once the equipment is in place I fly through them. The fronts are great, but the backs take ages pulling hose around. 

Good work that. I'm just myself. Like I said, I spend more time moving the equipment than cleaning the windows. Once the equipment is in place I fly through them. The fronts are great, but the backs take ages pulling hose around. 

I know what you mean , this company won’t allow loan working and the risk assessment dictates that there are two people , I have two per van on jobs like this it makes life so much easier on domestic it’s not so cost effective but Ime trying to expand the commercial work side to make it more profitable . We do a lot of this type of thing .

07F041E6-301B-493F-97BE-C10B3A686E40.jpeg

2EDDE989-AB0B-475D-AF3C-5896D9268676.jpeg

ECA50471-211C-4800-A3A6-E18CB29F452D.jpeg

DEFDB190-589F-4E86-83D1-52FE3305C610.jpeg

8A234F27-7F95-446E-BA1E-26105DC778BF.jpeg

29CA10A1-6ED3-4F9F-A273-31CD7C0FD47F.jpeg

Back