Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp versus traditional methods

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Victor meldrew lol funny that that's what my lads call me when I want them to work hard!lazy gits
Haha, they dont know what hard work is these days mate lol i remember when i was a spring chicken i done 40 £4.50 shots in one day and 30 odds was a regular days work, that kinda work would break most of the bitches i call them today haha

Haha, they dont know what hard work is these days mate lol i remember when i was a spring chicken i done 40 £4.50 shots in one day and 30 odds was a regular days work, that kinda work would break most of the bitches i call them today haha
i started when I was 16 and I'm 34 now mate doin the exact same worked for same same guy 7 years started on 20squid a day 10hour days lol

7 years later bought the business of him and never looked back

Always tell my lads I've worked to get were I am they think everything is handed to you on a plate

i started when I was 16 and I'm 34 now mate doin the exact same worked for same same guy 7 years started on 20squid a day 10hour days lol7 years later bought the business of him and never looked back

Always tell my lads I've worked to get were I am they think everything is handed to you on a plate
That's uncanny lol, i started when i was about 18, done it for years on and off then bought the business off my mate a couple of years ago, he's into IT now, used to give him half of the earnings when he went to college then eventually £60 a week, then he sold it to me, i've expanded it now by doing canvassing, but i still want to expand more and get a couple of good hard workers, i need a reliable number two, but we shall see how it goes

I am 39 and been doing it since 16

Had a few moments where i stopped and worked in another field but always kept some good custys since the old days

Realised that i can't work for others and am now building a very good business for my son to join in a couple of years

Worked on 2012 olympics as stock and systems administrator which was very well paid and still not happy

Only happy when out cleaning

Hi green, just meant i dont do frames as part of the job, if they want frames done i charge them the same price as i would for doing the windows, with the wfp they would get it all done included in the price, i do do the sills though, i charge extra if the want doors done too, just 50p to a pound extra depending on how much glass
I really struggle with this mentality in window cleaning, perhaps it was the way I was originally trained, Do the windows, frames sills and doors. Not to do the frame is like washing the car and not bothering to do the wheels.

We know that out of all the local window cleaners on our 'turf' we are the most expensive but we get the custom left and right because we do the whole job.

Someone mentioned to say you get a better service wfp frames sills glass etc but that is coz u have to!!!

My traditional customers usually have there frames cleaned twice a year and I charge double

If I do a frame restoration for new customer using solvents and sealants I charge anywhere from 150 to ££££,and I'm sorry there is no way you can get them that clean using just a brush and pure h20!!!!!!

I've tried!!!!

Best methods have there good points and used right are effective but what I hate is some newbie wfp window cleaner slating traditional as they do when they carnt even use a squeegee or own a ladder

The honest truth is I've never lost a customer to wfp but probably picked up 50 or so houses over last couple year of wfp cleaners and me be able to both I'm winning!

So my advice do both methods assess the task and go from there don't set out with a one track mind
Yeah we also class that as PVC restoration Stevie and we start at £20 per frame up. When I say we do the frames sills ect that is removing all the surface **** and crud obviously not all the ingrained stuff. However once the customers have seen a quick demo of what PVC restoration can give them they usually book it in for the spring clean.

As long as you give them the training and as business owner assess risks etc you are covered as with any job that involves certain risks as long as there employer has given them training of the equipment there using etc etc and not taking risks it's fineEverybody be sueing there bosses lol

It is scary tho
You are right as long as you abide by the laws and health and safety guidelines laid out you are pretty much covered. But should an employee want to try to sue that's what your liability insurances are for. By law if you have an employee you have to have employee liability insurance.

However if the job is so dodgy you are not willing to do it yourself you shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place and you are going to make an employee do something you wouldn't do well then you are just a pussy! (That last part is just my opinion)

I was always taught that a window includes sill and frame as the whole unit is called a window

It bugs me these guys who don't clean them

Especially when there is competition and we need to do a standout job to get recommendations

60% of my work is from recommendations so i have to do a 100% job each time

I was always taught that a window includes sill and frame as the whole unit is called a windowIt bugs me these guys who don't clean them

Especially when there is competition and we need to do a standout job to get recommendations

60% of my work is from recommendations so i have to do a 100% job each time
I always did the frames when I was trad, and on the odd couple of jobs I still do trad I do it without giving it consideration.

It takes seconds on a regular clean

Soap up glass

Wipe frames over with sill rag

Also this removes excess water off frame which might run on glass

Squeegee window

Probably takes 20 seconds more on a standard unit (2 windows plus opener)

Than just doing the glass

I am 39 and been doing it since 16Had a few moments where i stopped and worked in another field but always kept some good custys since the old days

Realised that i can't work for others and am now building a very good business for my son to join in a couple of years

Worked on 2012 olympics as stock and systems administrator which was very well paid and still not happy

Only happy when out cleaning
That's dedication for you mate. I worked on building sites in between window cleaning, but eventually done the windows full time as it wasn't permanent work in the construction industry

It takes seconds on a regular cleanSoap up glass

Wipe frames over with sill rag

Also this removes excess water off frame which might run on glass

Squeegee window

Probably takes 20 seconds more on a standard unit (2 windows plus opener)

Than just doing the glass
I charge extra from frames, it isn't standard, if somebody asked me to do frames i would soap them with applicator, then wipe them off with wet cloth

I find it baffleling that people can leave the frames dirty.

I have a mate who's a windy & he's always boasting how quick he is. He wipes no ails or frames. Saw him just before Xmas. He'd bought a round off a mutal friend of ours & reckoned he'd lost at least £200 a month in the 2 years he's had it. I've got a few of his customers. The reason why they told me was because he did not wipe the frames & left sills dripping. He also never detailed. All he was worried about was finishing as quick as poss.

You obviously have to cloth the windows, that's what we call it, and do the sills, but no, we all charge extra for frames, and my customers wouldn't wear that if i included it in the price, i've done them for years, but all areas have different practices, the way i see it, it is window cleaning not frame cleaning lol, you want frames done it's extra

When i soap up a window i deliberately get it on the frame as i go right to the edge of the glass

Am i supposed to leave my soapy water on the frames to make a mess or wipe it off?

That quick wipe round the frames before you squeegee takes 2 secs but is enough to keep the frames sparkling and the custys happy

Also that is why I constantly have people messaging me on facebook or phone calls due to happy custys recommending me

I wonder if they would if i did half a job and left dirty frames

I also pick up work locally due to a couple of locals who don't wipe anything

I enjoy the look on the custys face when they see a proper job and are happy to see it all clean

When i soap up a window i deliberately get it on the frame as i go right to the edge of the glassAm i supposed to leave my soapy water on the frames to make a mess or wipe it off?

That quick wipe round the frames before you squeegee takes 2 secs but is enough to keep the frames sparkling and the custys happy

Also that is why I constantly have people messaging me on facebook or phone calls due to happy custys recommending me

I wonder if they would if i did half a job and left dirty frames
Fair enough mate, i'm all for being meticulous but i have never had a customer pulling me up for it out of 370 houses, it drys it, as i say people have different methods, a bit like customers prefer traditional to wfp or vice versa for whatever reasons, but if it works keep doing it, that's what i say

Back