Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

what do you think of this backpack?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi I've recently bought a backpack and intend to use it on a trolley,I know it has a mode for variable flow rate but if i was to use it on full power mode and install an in line flow control so I  had it in hand it would work as intended? 
With the upmost respect and concern for your investment i strongly advise you not to even try to attempt this. 

Replacing the POT onto a loom is a ridiculous idea and the resistance would most likely kill the flow controller. 

If I am correct, You want to adjust the flow from a distance?

Variable resistors are not waterproof and they will stop working at the first drop of water or moisture.

Why is my answer as all of us running van mount and trolley systems do NOT adjust our flow on the fly unless we are doing something very different.

With the upmost respect and concern for your investment i strongly advise you not to even try to attempt this. 

Replacing the POT onto a loom is a ridiculous idea and the resistance would most likely kill the flow controller. 

If I am correct, You want to adjust the flow from a distance?

Variable resistors are not waterproof and they will stop working at the first drop of water or moisture.

Why is my answer as all of us running van mount and trolley systems do NOT adjust our flow on the fly unless we are doing something very different.
I was just going to add a manual push fit control valve on my pole hose , I'm not wiring anything up !

20201119_225901.jpg

I believe the pump has a pressure cut off so you can use an inline valve with it either in variable pressure mode (sw pos 1 I think) or full speed (sw pos 2). Be aware that gardiners recommend max of 20 meters of hose from backpack to brush. 

I believe the pump has a pressure cut off so you can use an inline valve with it either in variable pressure mode (sw pos 1 I think) or full speed (sw pos 2). Be aware that gardiners recommend max of 20 meters of hose from backpack to brush. 
Thank you, I only have 15 meters if hose its just i have the pack on a sack trolly and just wanted the flow control too hand that's all , thank you again 

I was just going to add a manual push fit control valve on my pole hose , I'm not wiring anything up !

View attachment 22425
Why didn't you just use the word tap or valve.

Apologies if my reply sounded like defensive mode. Just used to seeing so many odd worded posts and normally alarm bells ring.

I've never owned a backpack as I build my own trolley systems, I'm unsure what the average small diaphragm pump can handle under pressure and restricted flow on it switch when being activated. 

View attachment 22425
Totally fine using one of those but be warned if you stand on them, they do or at least used to break very easily the red push fits are what breaks as they were too me just cheap hard plastic so I would order some spares. 

If you run it flat out but restrict the flow you will almost certainly cause the pump to cycle (turn on and of rapidly). If you do this it will likely burn out the pressure switch in no time 

If you run it flat out but restrict the flow you will almost certainly cause the pump to cycle (turn on and of rapidly). If you do this it will likely burn out the pressure switch in no time 
Well it has 2 modes one for flat out one for flow control if I was to put it on flow control and open that right up but use an in-line one surely that would be the same as all I'm doing is using one to hand rather than having to keep going back to the pack and adjusting it ? 

It won't matter which setting it's on. If you mechanically restrict the flow it will possibly cause problems with  'cycling'.

The reason for this is that if you physically restrict the flow enough the pump will push the pressure up in the hose until it reaches the pre-set cut off, which if memory serves is quite low on those pumps (about 40 psi). When it gets there the pressure switch will shut off the pump until the pressure drops (which will only be a split second as long as the tap is open) and then fire it up again and so on until you shut off the tap. The only way to know if the pressure rises high enough to cause this problem will be to try it out.

It'll be cheap to try and you will know if the pump is cycling because it will start 'chattering' as it cuts in and out, and as mentioned earlier, if you run it like that it won't last long. 

Well it has 2 modes one for flat out one for flow control if I was to put it on flow control and open that right up but use an in-line one surely that would be the same as all I'm doing is using one to hand rather than having to keep going back to the pack and adjusting it ? 
This is the reasoning with regards to my first initial reply.

With respect, I don't think you have the basic understanding and functional operations of the equipment you own, which is therefore confusing yourself and you are overlooking the simple design features of a backpack.

I'd strongly suggest you get to grips with it's controls before adding any additional aftermarket valves or restrictive devices.

As mentioned, if you have the backpack running on flat out you will still restrict the pump regardless.

I don't intend to offend yourself by this reply but the basics need to be understood first and foremost.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the reasoning with regards to my first initial reply.

With respect, I don't think you have the basic understanding and functional operations of the equipment you own, which is therefore confusing yourself and you are overlooking the simple design features of a backpack.

I'd strongly suggest you get to grips with it's controls before adding any additional aftermarket valves or restrictive devices.

As mentioned, if you have the backpack running on flat out you will still restrict the pump regardless.

I don't intend to offend yourself by this reply but the basics need to be understood first and foremost.
I asked a question and I've understood the answers but don't worry I will send it all back as it looks like I've seriously offened you by wanting to clean my own windows ! 

I asked a question and I've understood the answers but don't worry I will send it all back as it looks like I've seriously offened you by wanting to clean my own windows ! 
Please don't get your bum in your hand.

when others like myself spend valuable time trying to aid yourself with honest opinions answers and tried and tested methods that work. 

Clarity avoids confusion 

How were you going to get your purified water? It would also help us if you'd actually said you were just looking to clean your own windows as we could probably told you a far cheaper option, depending on where you live and type of water you have.

Please don't get your bum in your hand.

when others like myself spend valuable time trying to aid yourself with honest opinions answers and tried and tested methods that work. 

Clarity avoids confusion 
One person has said it ok, another has said it could cause problems and I could try it to see if the pump cycles, all you have done its tell me that firstly I've used the wrong terminology because I called it a flow control and not a valve and then you've jumped back on to tell me that I'm basically an idiot and dont have the understanding to use the stuff I've bought !! I came on here to ask advice, because I wanted to know if instead of using the one built in as its in an awkward location I could use one in a more convenient place that's all ! At no point did I say I was going to do it , it was a simple question, if I was that much of an idiot I wouldn't of asked I would of just gone ahead and done it anyway! But thank you for your input its appreciated ! 

How were you going to get your purified water? It would also help us if you'd actually said you were just looking to clean your own windows as we could probably told you a far cheaper option, depending on where you live and type of water you have.
I was given an streamline ntech pole with a new head and jets, all I bought was a new 15m hose and the backpack cost £120 in total , I have a place near me that sells purified water and 4 x 25l containers 

One person has said it ok, another has said it could cause problems and I could try it to see if the pump cycles
Just to clarify, it is OK to put a tap/valve in the pole hose but it will reduce the life of the pump. Reason being is that it will go to max pressure then cut off and restart when pressure drops. It's a bit like using the rev limit on a car as an indication when to change gear. ? 

If it's for your own windows it should last years but if you were using it to put food on your table then there are better ways to control the flow.

Just so you are aware most people are window cleaning for a living here, so you might get strange response unless we know you were doing your own windows as it's a bit different. ? 

Just to clarify, it is OK to put a tap/valve in the pole hose but it will reduce the life of the pump. Reason being is that it will go to max pressure then cut off and restart when pressure drops. It's a bit like using the rev limit on a car as an indication when to change gear. ? 

If it's for your own windows it should last years but if you were using it to put food on your table then there are better ways to control the flow.

Just so you are aware most people are window cleaning for a living here, so you might get strange response unless we know you were doing your own windows as it's a bit different. ? 
Thank you, yeah No problem, i'm not stealing anyones round , I have a lot of windows and a big conservatory thats all , I'm in a village and the local guy with ladders and a bucket wouldnt do the windows above the conservatory or the roof of it and charges £25 and wasn't the best of jobs but he decided to climb over my fence a few weeks ago to get in , broke the lock getting out and came round at 10.30 the next night for his money ! So parted ways and the other chap from the city has a pole but wants £50 for windows and 20 for the conservatory and it's just a bit much that's all 

Thank you, yeah No problem, i'm not stealing anyones round ,
No problem mate, I don't think anyone thought you were trying to steal anyone's round, sorry if I gave that impression. This is one of the most helpful trade forums I have ever come across. 

It's great you are having a go yourself. You never know you might like it and want to clean windows full time ? 

Hi,
I am new here, thank you in advance for any assistance and feedback.
We are looking to purchase equipment to allow me to clean windows via a water fed system which offers portability.
I only have one client where we look after their portfolio and carryout deep cleans to interiors but I am always disappointed after doing an amazing job it's ruined by the exterior windows, I am also looking to clean my own windows ?

So first of all I am in South Wales and need a supplier? 
What would be the recommended trolley system to purchase and pole?

I was going to purchase this https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/backpack-starter-kits/products/facelift®-bigboy-2-backpack-starter-kit-ultra-30ft but they are not open to visit or view equipement and I thought it would be a better option to ask the profeesionals so here goes.......

Thank You

Hi,
I am new here, thank you in advance for any assistance and feedback.
We are looking to purchase equipment to allow me to clean windows via a water fed system which offers portability.
I only have one client where we look after their portfolio and carryout deep cleans to interiors but I am always disappointed after doing an amazing job it's ruined by the exterior windows, I am also looking to clean my own windows ?

So first of all I am in South Wales and need a supplier? 
What would be the recommended trolley system to purchase and pole?

I was going to purchase this https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/collections/backpack-starter-kits/products/facelift®-bigboy-2-backpack-starter-kit-ultra-30ft but they are not open to visit or view equipement and I thought it would be a better option to ask the profeesionals so here goes.......

Thank You

Read this post as there has being multiple posts about backpacks recently which have now all been merged 

Latest Posts

Back