Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When it’s time to break away

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davidpatrick1978

Hi guys bit of a personal serous one I’ve now got 80 customers and hoping to get 100 before Christmas lol 

I’m looking to break away from my 22 year old job by April my take home pay in the factory is not far off minimum wage of £9.88 with £365 a month shift pay which is absolutely pants my take home pay a month is £1630 

my income from 3 months window cleaning is £1000 which I’m super proud of i know it’s up to me when I leave but the advice I get here is real sound advice which I listen to like family my point is do I leave when I hit £1630 a month window cleaning 

or do I go past £2000 to be safe and leave factory job then I know at the minute im taking home £2600 a month which I’ve never had in my life just a bit stuck when to aim at and leave and glad to share my figures here hope u can help me thanks guys 

Hi guys bit of a personal serous one I’ve now got 80 customers and hoping to get 100 before Christmas lol 

I’m looking to break away from my 22 year old job by April my take home pay in the factory is not far off minimum wage of £9.88 with £365 a month shift pay which is absolutely pants my take home pay a month is £1630 

my income from 3 months window cleaning is £1000 which I’m super proud of i know it’s up to me when I leave but the advice I get here is real sound advice which I listen to like family my point is do I leave when I hit £1630 a month window cleaning 

or do I go past £2000 to be safe and leave factory job then I know at the minute im taking home £2600 a month which I’ve never had in my life just a bit stuck when to aim at and leave and glad to share my figures here hope u can help me thanks guys 
Hard for us to say really, but what would I do…? Yeah once I hit the same pay as you’re on, I’d leave and concentrate hard on leafleting & canvassing in the spare time. 2-3 months of good advertising (and any additional advertising you can afford) and you’ll be well on your way. Spring starts in 12 weeks, great time to start. 

When you cant do both comfortably its time to give one up.

Sounds like your moving along nicely.

Once the factory work starts hindering the progress of the windows then its time to evaluate, if you can speak to the bosses and see if you can go part time, i was lucky my boss was really understanding and supportative when i was transitioning.

I realise this will be frustrating not to mention tiring having to do 2 jobs but I would say keep doing both till you have at least a couple of months savings in the bank. Reason being, having seen and experienced how people can slip through any government help schemes plus if you injured yourself - god forbid then you really do need a backup fund. I slipped through by £6 and I have been self employed for 15 years and received £0 help!!!!

Also on your pay packet look at the pay before any tax, national insurance, pensions as if you are taking home £1630 your 'starting pay' will be 20-30% higher. So more like £2300 a month - that's the sort of figure you need as an income to match your current take home!!!! Remember that being self employed you still have to pay income tax and national insurance on your profits!!!! Just so you know remember this tax year you will have to declare your self employment income and be taxed on profits as your tax allowance will have been used up on your factory job so keep some money aside!

Also remember being self employed you don't get holiday or sickness pay so you need to set some aside for that!

I'm not trying to put a damper on your plans just giving you some info to think about. You are doing well, keep it up any you will be very successful. 

Hard for us to say really, but what would I do…? Yeah once I hit the same pay as you’re on, I’d leave and concentrate hard on leafleting & canvassing in the spare time. 2-3 months of good advertising (and any additional advertising you can afford) and you’ll be well on your way. Spring starts in 12 weeks, great time to start. 
Thank you I’ve been canvassing I like it too I’m on yell for a year ang in a local magazine plus a app called next door which has made me 25 customers plus hundreds of business cards I’m well on my way will be scared to leave cause I’m on my own but this is my life’s path 

I realise this will be frustrating not to mention tiring having to do 2 jobs but I would say keep doing both till you have at least a couple of months savings in the bank. Reason being, having seen and experienced how people can slip through any government help schemes plus if you injured yourself - god forbid then you really do need a backup fund. I slipped through by £6 and I have been self employed for 15 years and received £0 help!!!!

Also on your pay packet look at the pay before any tax, national insurance, pensions as if you are taking home £1630 your 'starting pay' will be 20-30% higher. So more like £2300 a month - that's the sort of figure you need as an income to match your current take home!!!! Remember that being self employed you still have to pay income tax and national insurance on your profits!!!! Just so you know remember this tax year you will have to declare your self employment income and be taxed on profits as your tax allowance will have been used up on your factory job so keep some money aside!

Also remember being self employed you don't get holiday or sickness pay so you need to set some aside for that!

I'm not trying to put a damper on your plans just giving you some info to think about. You are doing well, keep it up any you will be very successful. 
Thankyou

When you cant do both comfortably its time to give one up.

Sounds like your moving along nicely.

Once the factory work starts hindering the progress of the windows then its time to evaluate, if you can speak to the bosses and see if you can go part time, i was lucky my boss was really understanding and supportative when i was transitioning.
I don’t want part time I’ve done 22 years of 12 hour shifts and the company are horrible sooner I’m out the better ?

I don’t want part time I’ve done 22 years of 12 hour shifts and the company are horrible sooner I’m out the better ?
Its not a case of what we want, its generally a case of whats best for that moment in time. 

You dont want the ft job but at the moment your not in a position to not have it, but soon you will be. ??

You cant jump from the top of a ladder and expect to be ok when you hit the ground, you have to come down the ladder slowly and hit the ground softly ??

Its not a case of what we want, its generally a case of whats best for that moment in time. 

You dont want the ft job but at the moment your not in a position to not have it, but soon you will be. ??

You cant jump from the top of a ladder and expect to be ok when you hit the ground, you have to come down the ladder slowly and hit the ground softly ??
A very good friend of mine fell two storeys from the top of a ladder a year ago. It was his very first ladder job and he was wearing silly boots with no arch.
He brought the ladder with him as he fell and landed in a tangled heap wrapped round the ladder unconscious on the patio. He was looking up at the air ambulance coming to get him when he regained consciousness.

He fractured his back and his knee. He's now in constant pain, can only shuffle short distances. He will never fully recover and will be lucky if he can eventually be able to do a driving job. His wife runs a small shop and does ironing for people between customers to pay the bills for them and their family.

So yes, for heaven's sake be careful fellas. Try and come down slowly and in full control. Fast on the pole by all means but slowly and carefully on the ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
A very good friend of mine fell two storeys from the top of a ladder a year ago. It was his very first ladder job and he was wearing silly boots with no arch.
He brought the ladder with him as he fell and landed in a tangled heap wrapped round the ladder unconscious on the patio. Looking up at the air ambulance coming to get him when he regained consciousness.

He fractured his back and his knee. He's now in constant pain, can only shuffle short distances. He will never fully recover and will be lucky if he can eventually be able to do a driving job. His wife runs a small shop and does ironing for people between customers to pay the bills for them and their family.

So yes, for heaven's sake be careful fellas. Try and come down slowly and in full control. Fast on the pole but slowly and carefully on the ladder.
That is a true horror story mate, hope your friend gets better over time, my ladder comments where more of a 'dont run b4 you can walk' type scenario but yes your bang on the money, ladders are literally the most dangerous bit of equipment in our arsenal and deserve the upmost respect when being used 

That is a true horror story mate, hope your friend gets better over time, my ladder comments where more of a 'dont run b4 you can walk' type scenario but yes your bang on the money, ladders are literally the most dangerous bit of equipment in our arsenal and deserve the upmost respect when being used 
Thanks mate, I knew your ladder comments were a warning to be careful to be properly ready before jumping from a fully paid job.

I kind of hijacked it as the time is right to give a one year update on my friend's accident and a reminder of the potential seriousness of us getting it wrong to all of us.

Apologies, but I knew for sure you wouldn't mind. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
He brought the ladder with him as he fell and landed in a tangled heap wrapped round the ladder unconscious on the patio. He was looking up at the air ambulance coming to get him when he regained consciousness.

So yes, for heaven's sake be careful fellas. Try and come down slowly and in full control. Fast on the pole by all means but slowly and carefully on the ladder.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was wondering the other day how he was doing , I couldn't find the original post you mentioned it, to ask how he was.

Ladder safety is a must.

This is only a decision you can make , the factory job is a safety net at the moment , but could also be holding you back , sleigh g time I would expect your customer base to grow dramatically so that might be the right time to leave ??? Ime sure you will make a success of it just try to make this situation work to your advantage and leave when it suites you . 

I had a few thoughts when I read the initial post, mostly covered by other members but worth reiterating.

You need to factor in tax and NI.  Public liability insurance. (Hopefully you already have that)

The weather, anything can happen for the next three to four months.

The unexpected such as my recent accident where my van was rendered unusable by a marauding Range Rover, could you cope with losing your vehicle?

You need to be ready and have a good margin for the unexpected.

When I started my business I had a day job and took on an evening job for a couple of years as well.

You will get there but don't run before you are ready.

The way I see it, a minimum wage factory job is nothing to cling onto. You can find them easily so I would be tempted to go for it as you still have the safety net of being able to return if/when funds run low.

Personal view,

Do both till you can't take any more work on.

Then ask for part time, fill this time up.

Then jump when you have only 2-3 days money to fill.

The extra money you can use as a safety net etc.

Jack the factory job in at the end of February. With the extra time you have by not doing factory work, canvas canvas canvas! You know the work is out there, and in my opinion the beginning of march is when to move. Yes it's a big move, but each and every one of us on here has had to do it! There's work to be canvassed even in the middle of December !!

Jack the factory job in at the end of February. With the extra time you have by not doing factory work, canvas canvas canvas! You know the work is out there, and in my opinion the beginning of march is when to move. Yes it's a big move, but each and every one of us on here has had to do it! There's work to be canvassed even in the middle of December !!
Thanks that is exactly what I’m thinking end of February march 

Back