Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

When it’s time to break away

WCF

Help Support WCF:

All good advice.

I started in a december, had to get out of the job I was in, social work council job. It was the rainest winter for ages,  we survived, I dont really work in the rain either. I had bought some work that was worth around £1000 a month, very nerve racking saying goodbye to a decent paid job. I was  scared I wouldn't even be able to buy myself a coffee. Still ticking away, I'm certainly not rich, but plodding on n glad I don't work for anyone. Self employment does mess with the brain in this game, fretting about weather/money, getting behind in schedule, not having enough work, no holiday pay etc.

All the best with your decision.

I'd have a nice Christmas, then get January out of the way, hand in your notice the end of January and go full on Windows at the start of March.  You've only got to find another 700 quid a month to cover what you're getting from the factory.  Your tax bill for the window cleaning won't be due until January 2023, just keep doing what you've done so far and it will be a doddle.

Get ready for winter though, spring is 12 weeks away but winters not even started yet ?

I'd have a nice Christmas, then get January out of the way, hand in your notice the end of January and go full on Windows at the start of March.  You've only got to find another 700 quid a month to cover what you're getting from the factory.  Your tax bill for the window cleaning won't be due until January 2023, just keep doing what you've done so far and it will be a doddle.

Get ready for winter though, spring is 12 weeks away but winters not even started yet ?
Thankyou Chris 

Seven and a half years ago I made the final decision in the autumn to start the business in the following spring. The plan was to do the necessary research, intensely. Get the van which I already had, properly sign-written for the trade. I researched very thoroughly and decided on what I hoped would be the best DIY equipment with my very limited knowledge and total lack of experience. I practiced and practiced to get used to the equipment and technique. I aimed to start at the beginning of the following March. This is what I did and would recommend.

Once I made the decision on this career, I took the time to think of a business name that I felt I could be proud of. One that I hoped would stand out as professional and one which I also hoped would come across as slightly upmarket to be taken seriously. I then designed a logo to match, with the aim of it being vibrant but not gaudy. I had the business cards printed to match and did some practice on a friend's house. One or two hundred litres of water used each of the first few times and it's not a big house but I got better?.

Then I went canvassing, got a few, lost a few and kept a few. Lack of experience leading to spotting even though I was rinsing the life out of the windows. Lack of empathy to give me a chance to put it right from some customers. Respect and empathy to give me a chance starting out, from others, many of whom are still customers. All to be expected.

After about four years I was pretty much where I wanted to be as a business. More good customers, faster and more consistent with the quality, more compact with the jobs and more economical with the water. Much more confident at all aspects of the job.

It's out there if we get stuck in and make it happen. There will be some difficulties, that's to be expected but they can be got through.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, its hard if you have no one to guide you and you have to wing it. This forum was all I had and a mop & squeegee to get me going. At the start I enjoyed it bar climbing ladders which I feel is energy draining. The wfp is far easier but the high cost can put folk off. After 4 years it all comes together and you can make as much as you want because the customers appear when you are out working. At my mother's last night and a neighbour asked me to clean out his gutters due to my sign written van. Just realised it only says window cleaner but folk have come to realise that we clean gutters as well.

Aye, its hard if you have no one to guide you and you have to wing it. This forum was all I had and a mop & squeegee to get me going. At the start I enjoyed it bar climbing ladders which I feel is energy draining. The wfp is far easier but the high cost can put folk off. After 4 years it all comes together and you can make as much as you want because the customers appear when you are out working. At my mother's last night and a neighbour asked me to clean out his gutters due to my sign written van. Just realised it only says window cleaner but folk have come to realise that we clean gutters as well.
Yeah mate, you're right on the button. I was very much winging it when I started. I hadn't found the forum so took the advice of the equipment suppliers. Some of which was fairly sound but some less so. On their advice I started with fibreglass poles that were sold on reach height rather than actual length so weren't quite long enough, were heavy and bendy, and fragile especially with the Vikan brushes (bricks) that were supplied. I only ever did wfp, never was prepared to try trad, I knew it wasn't for me.

As for ladders ; my very first ladder job was a simple gutter empty on a two storey terraced house. I had never been up a proper ladder. I asked an experienced, retired builder friend to help me with advice and to foot the ladder on my first gutter empty. He came with me and footed the ladder while I went up. I kid you not, my knees were shaking so much with fear the ladder was shaking and rattling. Charlie said "For f..k sake Dave, do you want me to do it!?" I took him up on it and swapped places. Charlie was nearly eighty years old with knackered hips and knees when he separated the men from the boys (me) on that day☺️. I'm comfortable but extremely careful with ladders now.

I discovered the forum after several months in business and it changed everything : Gardiner poles and brushes is the first thing that comes to mind. A revelation! I learnt a lot of other stuff as well but Gardiner poles is still the first thing that comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I made the decision on this career, I took the time to think of a business name that I felt I could be proud of. One that I hoped would stand out as professional and one which I also hoped would come across as slightly upmarket to be taken seriously. I then designed a logo to match, with the aim of it being vibrant but not gaudy.
So how come you ended up with "Splashy Dashy window Cleaning" then? ?

Back