Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employee van mishaps

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Shammy Davis Senior

I took someone on who started in September. He went out on his own in October. He’s not had 3 major damage incidents in his van plus two minor and got stuck in mud twice. 

What would you do?

Damage I estimate at £7,000 +.

041621D1-5AE8-459F-B6CA-2EE39DF23689.jpeg

78CB21D2-9EE6-4086-AE09-836D103840B6.jpeg

0428DF89-F846-409A-9416-D698CB293C85.jpeg

7D284819-E8A6-4CC6-9497-6617DDE51334.jpeg

One accident unlucky but fair enough, two is a PITA but within the realm of credibility, three ”accidents” starting to wonder if he's a mole from a competitor, four crashes without doubt a competitors plant committing sabotage.  crash 5 turned up that day in competitors uniform no doubt.

I would like my staff (if I had any) to have their own van. I believe when its your own van you take more care of it. I think that's why some delivery firms work so well. When its a works van they tend to get abused.

I would like my staff (if I had any) to have their own van. I believe when its your own van you take more care of it. I think that's why some delivery firms work so well. When its a works van they tend to get abused.
These are brand new vans too. I said to my wife they don’t know how lucky they are driving around in brand new vans. I just drove it back from the unit actually and they’re lovely. Drive like a car. Dispatch Professional. 

These are brand new vans too. I said to my wife they don’t know how lucky they are driving around in brand new vans. I just drove it back from the unit actually and they’re lovely. Drive like a car. Dispatch Professional. 

The problem I have found with young people, they lack respect and want things instantly. They don't understand how you have worked long hours to build a business. There's a different mindset now with young folk, their life revolves around their phones.

I took on a lad last summer, after a month I sent him out on his own. A week later he smashed the back of the van in to the tune of £600 worth of damage. 

Got rid of him shorty after not just for that reason but it was a factor. 

I would sack Mr bumpy, anyone can have an accident but that frequently is just negligence. 

Accidents do happen....but 5 means negligence which is dangerous...or he is a Jonah!! which means avoid being on same flight if you jet off on your hols

Blimey, that's not good with that many bumps his position did become untenable, fair play you must have been a good boss sticking with him.

It might be worth telling his successor why he was sacked, then it puts down a marker and that you won't put up with your motors being abused.

I couldn’t sleep last night. He’s not young, he’s 36! And a nice guy and his girlfriend has just found out she’s pregnant. He’s just a really bad driver! 

I’ve nothing to feel bad about. I bought another cheap van for him to use (O6 Combo) and was waiting a system being fitted.  He just needed to last another week but I’d given him a written warning and couldn’t back down. The last accident was only the week before last. If it was just a ding I’d have let it go but the doors badly dented and scraped. 

I have put dash cam in the van there using.
I know I should do this. 

I couldn’t sleep last night. He’s not young, he’s 36! And a nice guy and his girlfriend has just found out she’s pregnant. He’s just a really bad driver! 

I’ve nothing to feel bad about. I bought another cheap van for him to use (O6 Combo) and was waiting a system being fitted.  He just needed to last another week but I’d given him a written warning and couldn’t back down. The last accident was only the week before last. If it was just a ding I’d have let it go but the doors badly dented and scraped. 

It's horrible sacking someone, I have had to do this a good few times over the years. Never feels good even when you don't have a choice. But some times you have got to think how would say treat you if it was the other way around.

I know I should do this. 

Whats he been hitting other vehicles ? Gate posts? Or what ? I’ve never seen anything like that damage I dont care how nice the guy is he would have been up the road after the second one , that’s some serious damage not just a little rub in a tight place .

Latest Posts

Back