Before posting a new topic please use the search feature. Duplicate posts may be removed or merged with others.

Start new topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smurf

Progutter Pro-G Box Set

Dodger

Like I said before each to their own dodger but those tools are well built and most importantly help me to earn loads of dosh so I'm defo a happy bunny.

yep that's what life's really about smurf.

Smurf

They are not as flimsy as ppl may think they are so yes paying £12.95 each I think is extremly good value myself.

[ATTACH]4049.IPB[/ATTACH]

IMG_5744.JPG.430e6d8f2eaf1d59ba38d1200f37d37b.JPG

Advertisement

mufcglen

i used mine again today and had a monster blocked gutter, not been done for 6-7 yrs the lady said, was brilliant but three issues!

1 they was that full when i was scraping them they had that much **** in them it was dropping over the sides and splatting on floor lol.

2 some of the roof tiles had come forward and i had to turn the tool sideways and scrape them out.

3 and finally the house i was doing was a massive 5 bed detatched with a big ground floor extension running across the front and as i could'nt get up at the front i had to go to each end and extend my unger pole as far as i could down the gutter line and pull it back to the end of the house but there was a bit in the middle of the house i couldnt reach but i told the lady and said i'll go back when i worked out how to get up there, what do you guys do with jobs like this as the ladders would reach the roof line but because of the ground floor stuck out with its own roof like a porch all the way across the ladders would be dangerously leaning back, i know a stand off would'nt be any good either so all i can think of is getting a bigger pole and stretching further down the gutter line from the end or getting one of those adjustable adaptors and trying from the ground reaching up?

none of these faults are from the progutter tools though, the gutters i had where the tiles wasnt protruding was a piece of cake and rattled off in no time!

Smurf

Do you mean something like this?

[ATTACH]4050.IPB[/ATTACH]

If so this is how I do it by hand

[ATTACH]4051.IPB[/ATTACH]

IMG_4328.JPG.98891b48d49692f9b510cad83f602d26.JPG

IMG_4326.JPG.76fb6f7e9d841b8b210b778fa59393dd.JPG

mufcglen

thats exactly what im talking about except it runs the full length of the house!

thing is i only have a set of double ladders as ive never fancied going any higher!

Smurf

Best advice I can give is don't ever put yourself at unnecessary risk just trying to earn a few quid.

Smurf

I've experimented with a half round pro-g tool on a 25ft wfp from the ground on a 2.5 -3 storey height hipped gutter run last week and it worked a treat. But all depends I suppose of the gap to work with, shape of guttering and how bad the gutter run is if it would work on other jobs.

This is the one I cleared from the ground if anyone is interested.

[ATTACH]4056.IPB[/ATTACH]

I just pushed the **** along to the end cap and hooked it out onto the floor using the same pro-g half round gutter tool.

MVI_5735_0001.jpg.aad67abbc1dac4f28730f11dffe2cb40.jpg

Guest The Gutter Goblin

Glenandem, sometimes if you have room you can use a corner stay for your ladder like the one in this pic although there are very often downpipes and satellite dishes (in)conveniently in the way!

[ATTACH]4057.IPB[/ATTACH]

Was awkward to do because of the roof tile guard. Couldn't use Pro gutter either, had to use a drop scraper attached to a Harris pole.

It was further complicated by having wet slippery decking to set the ladder on! Used decking grippers and ladder spurs to be safe.

Hey Smurf, if you are reading this, I would be interested to know how you would do this job using your microlite system?

No access to next door either way, and could only bring a multipurpose ladder and all equipment though the house!

5915c9fba4f43_IMG_0124LargeWebview.jpg.3d962840ac4ab62cec185bafe009696f.jpg

Smurf

Guttervac would be my first option on that one

But last resort could also set my gutter clearing ladder setup on the corner with ankalad outriggers deployed as the microlite standoff can be set on corners too.

I also can't belive you are using that type of fold up ladder for gutter clearing even when using ladder spurs. I would not trust those joints for sure :Image3:

Advertisement

norm

Best advice I can give is don't ever put yourself at unnecessary risk just trying to earn a few quid.

+1

Guest The Gutter Goblin

Guttervac wouldn't lift those sods out (and swallow it)!

Ladder joints are absolutely solid - I have used it as a platform regularly. Couldn't be sold if it was iffy.

It was the only ladder option with this job as I couldn't get my normal ladder through the house.

Sorry, I didn't appreciate the microlite could be used on a corner! Have you a pic?

Guttervac would be my first option on that one

But last resort could also set my gutter clearing ladder setup on the corner with ankalad outriggers deployed as the microlite standoff can be set on corners too.

I also can't belive you are using that type of fold up ladder for gutter clearing even when using ladder spurs. I would not trust those joints for sure :Image3:

Guest The Gutter Goblin

How about this for an awkward gutter clear! Also, seamless gutters with internal brackets every 300mm. Aaagghh!

While I was looking at this job the window cleaner came along put his ladder against the conservatory guttering, climbed up on to the conservatory roof and walked all over it to clean the windows!

Unbelievable! :Image4:

[ATTACH]4058.IPB[/ATTACH]

DSC00254.jpg.9927378bf0460d92e206c4f246e485f9.jpg

Smurf

Good luck with that one :Image3:

Guttervacs tend to suck but not swallow (sods)

Example pic

[ATTACH]4062.IPB[/ATTACH]

IMG_5441.JPG.2ca87f5ce1497d9f8879452cbecb5339.JPG

Smurf

Did you do a gutter cam survey to see how badly blocked it was?

Again that would be a guttervac job as I did one similar to that in pic below a while back without any major issues. Mind you the gutter crud thank god was not very bad. Only difference is you will need to make sure you suck the **** out from under each internal gutter bracket aswell which is going to be a real pain in the ****. Alternately you could jet the **** out of it but will make a hell of a mess.

[ATTACH]4061.IPB[/ATTACH]

IMG_4202.JPG.50bf49409d8417cdf76dfeb912eaf3ae.JPG

Guest The Gutter Goblin

When I did the job in the first pic I only had a single motor vac - it has never been able to lift awkward sods out so it was a straight scrape and drag job.

However, even though I now have a triple motor vac, I would still drag it out as it is easier and much less set up etc.

The house in the second pic I did last summer and got really lucky as there was only small amounts of moss up to about 2/3rds along and nothing in the corner - phew!

I have a camera but find it a right faff to use and far prefer to go up a ladder and have a look.

I have a unique set up that allows me to vacuum up to 6-7m of gutters from the top of my ladder which was great for that type of job, although it doesn't suit every situation.

Brackets are a tw4t but I can usually get underneath them.

Did the same with this one below:

[ATTACH]4063.IPB[/ATTACH]

IMG_0006.jpg.49dc6a07531b8e44a961d953c19053f5.jpg

Smurf

For me it depends how awkward jobs are to be able to work from the roofline height safely or not which methods I decide to use.

When giving quotes I like to have a look to see how bad the gutters and downspouts are. Be it from a ladder taking still photos or using a camera in video mode fixed to a wfp pole. Which the latter to be honest I find quicker and easier to do rather than keep taking ladders on/off my van. At least that way I can see how bad they are also size of gap etc so have a better idea what I will be up against so can price accordingly.

I win loads of work conducting guttercam surveys on a quote as mostly is done for my own benefit but can also show how bad they are and any issues found with the roofline which customers like to see.

For easy access jobs I've found using pro-g tools very handy indeed.

DanielT

That endoscope arrived. I need to test it and am hoping I can connect it to my phone, but whipping out a laptop and camera is going to look quite pro to the customer.

Advertisement

KFH19

I've got a new camera for my gutter vac system, from Streamline.

However it only lasts about an hour from a full overnight charge. Does anyone know whether this is the norm or have I got a dodgey one?

Smurf

Now all I use for taking photo's or video clips when conducting a guttering/roofline inspection on a quote as it's realiable is an old canon g7 either fixed to a wfp or when up a ladder. All the photos I have posted on this forum have been taken by that camera either taken as stills or edited from a video clip.

As for using a so say guttercam whilst working from the ground you can also use a mirror to check the guttering is clear or by going up a ladder.

Mark has also recently posted a cheap method of attaching a smart phone to a pole for roofline inspections on here too.

KFH19

Yeah it's the same Smurf, and yeah I did pay more than that!

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to clear the gutter 'blind' with the vac because of the poor battery life.

I do pop up the ladder to check. The main reason I felt let down by it was I had 6 quotes in the same day ( good leaflet response for once!) the customers love looking at the monitor....but the last job the camera battery died, after about an hour.

Advertisement

Smurf

Example photo's taken from video clips from my old g7 camera mounted on a wfp whilst on a quote.

[ATTACH]4067.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4068.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4069.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4070.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4071.IPB[/ATTACH]

So you can see the importance of doing a camera survey on quotes as even when you get back to base can get a better understanding what the job is going to be like when you come to do it.

MVI_5657_0001.jpg.28680043f393a1f1e69ed759c2b384c9.jpg

MVI_5658_0001.jpg.682ac6e7a4db96436d8c0fbf89eab047.jpg

MVI_5655_0003.jpg.678de450a91832f1fa104835586bd8ee.jpg

MVI_5655_0001.jpg.b046d061226423431e23c0d41f16bdf1.jpg

MVI_5655_0002.jpg.50e223deb7e0dc770d0934627c1815bd.jpg

Smurf

One thing that pees me off big-time is most suppliers sell so say guttercams (baby monitors) at a ridiculous high price for what they are and the battery life is pants as you have found out to your cost.

May I ask how much you paid for yours?

Yeah it's the same Smurf, and yeah I did pay more than that!

I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to clear the gutter 'blind' with the vac because of the poor battery life.

I do pop up the ladder to check. The main reason I felt let down by it was I had 6 quotes in the same day ( good leaflet response for once!) the customers love looking at the monitor....but the last job the camera battery died, after about an hour.

KFH19

One pound short of £200.

I had a different system last year, 1400w vac and a silly pole to send the vac pipe up. I tried to be ingenious with the camera, I went for a endoscope off of eBay and hooked up to a old laptop.....rubbish results. So I took the plunge on

this system 3k vac, full carbon poles and the camera/monitor. To be fair all of it is excellent apart from camera battery life....which Streamline state is 2 hours.

Ps, On your recommendation I brought off of EBay a never been used Ankalad £26.55 and used Microlite standoff for £36...happy with that!

DanielT

I tried to be ingenious with the camera, I went for a endoscope off of eBay and hooked up to a old laptop.....rubbish results.

Oops

Smurf

The answer would be to carry more wireless camera's charged up in the van and when the monitor gets low carry spare batteries for that too or run it through the chargers if it works like that. Still all seems a lot of faffing about to me.

I've tried wireless also hard wire bullet cams and to be honest I can't be arsed with them now.

One pound short of £200.

I had a different system last year, 1400w vac and a silly pole to send the vac pipe up. I tried to be ingenious with the camera, I went for a endoscope off of eBay and hooked up to a old laptop.....rubbish results. So I took the plunge on

this system 3k vac, full carbon poles and the camera/monitor. To be fair all of it is excellent apart from camera battery life....which Streamline state is 2 hours.

Ps, On your recommendation I brought off of EBay a never been used Ankalad £26.55 and used Microlite standoff for £36...happy with that!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.