Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

£5 Per House ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Well, thank you very much Smurf, nothing like stating the obvious to gain a point. But it does make me wonder why have horrible customers. If you’re a sole trader, your customer base is going to be small. You might as well be a bit choosey.

Richard

Nothing wrong with letting the work clump together like that and you still end up with a rate of £33 per hour; window cleaning has potential :Image3: [/font 

Hi richard thanks for this.

When u have the same customer 10 years plus its not all about squeezing every penny out of them.

I dont ever collect and always get paid. Im more then happy with these prices , but in october these will be put up.

Im happy window cleaning and been doing it 20 years.

Some days I earn £120 some I earn £250. And I normally work between 5 and 6 hours a day.

Over the years I have found 50% of new customer are a wait of time and only get it done 2 or 3 times and then say can u leave it this month or u end up chaicing money.

Im happy with having good customer that I chat too and give me cupers then chaising new work and getting rid of customers ive had years cause they job is £1. Too cheap.......!

But you will get far more profit if you manage your round & prices together.

3 things you can do to improve things in your favour –

Reduce the average cleaning time down from 9 minutes – this doesn’t involve the customers.

But if you couple this with reducing the overall 3 hour cleaning time, by letting some customer go, or fewer cleans per year; your hourly rate will go up.

It’s quick and easy to do, just work out the necessary.

Richard

he might only want to earn £60 a day, there is a lot around here who are cheap, they live in council houses (cheap rent down here) run out of cars, no insurance, most are semi retired

say he wants to earn £100 per day, and works 8-5 that's £11 per hour, 2/3 houses an hour, not every one wants to earn £400 a day

£400 a day? Doing houses? You serious?

£400 a day? Doing houses? You serious?
If you are serious, you can earn a similar amount in a single day doing residential properties, its very good going to have a round where you can do it each day you work, and then getting it all done is a different matter.

It always looks an impossible number on forums, because a lot of prices mentioned are window cleaners doing work from £5-10 onwards. A lot of window cleaners won’t touch work priced so low.

You got to what you are doing; being able to clean windows isn’t enough, that’s just a window cleaning job.

Richard

Ive earnt 400 a day window cleaning and still can if I want to do a 12 hour shift.......

And yes I do houses at £5. To £30.

Im happy doing 5/6 hours a day and earning 120 to 250.

I think that what is appealing to most as you can earn as much or as little as you want to in this job.

The hardest part is getting enough quality work to make a good living out of it so pricing has always been a contentious issue. There wlll be always someone offering cheaper prices so thats when loyaty of customers, qualiy of work and good service plays a big part no matter how little or much you charge.

Does make me wonder why ppl still price houses so cheaply when the going rate around my way for example for 3 bed small terraced was £5 per 2 weekly window clean over 15 years ago.

I know some areas are more affluent than others but that price was for houses on council estates. :Image16:
...and how much do you think the pound has changed in 15 years Smurf ?The average rate of inflation over 15 years is around 45% which would make £5 back then, around £7.50 now and that is down south where everthing is much more expensive than the rest of the country. And what else has changed ? Well, 15 years ago every residential window cleaner was climbing ladders and using a squeegee or cloth but nowadays, the majority use a wfp making the job quicker and easier aswell as safer yet, this hasn't brought the price down like a custmoer should be able to expect.

I charge between £5 and £8 for my average 3 bed house which I feel is about right for this part of the country. I can't understand why others think it's ok to charge £15 £20 or even £25+ for the same work. No, I'm not gonna get rich at my prices but then I was never under any illusion I would plus, my round is in it's infancy and it's up to me to work hard like you're supposed to with any small business before I start making £30K+ per year.

I see so many people that think they should be making £30+ per hour from day one but then these are often the same people that continuelly post threads about how customers mess them about by asking 'can you leave mine this week' or how customers hide because they can't afford to pay their bill etc or text them saying their windows are streaky. I believe a customer should be able to fall 2 or 3 cleans behind and still be able to dip into their pocket to pay their window cleaning bill on the doorstep and not, have to take out a loan to do so.

The guy in question in the O/P might be cheap but I very much doubt he's doing just any house for a fiver and is probably telling people over the phone that his price is for an average house but even so, he might have his reasons....perhaps he's just starting out or is targetting a specific area. Maybe his missus is on 50K and he just wants to get off his ass and contribute a little. Either way, in my opinion he's doing alot less damage to the trade than those that seem intent on pushing the idea of affording a regular window cleaner away from the average tenant.

Mart.

I charge between £5 and £8 for my average 3 bed house which I feel is about right for this part of the country.

Mart.
Well doesnt sound like you are charging the industry standard of a £1 a window then.

...and how much do you think the pound has changed in 15 years Smurf ?

The average rate of inflation over 15 years is around 45% which would make £5 back then, around £7.50 now and that is down south where everthing is much more expensive than the rest of the country. And what else has changed ? Well, 15 years ago every residential window cleaner was climbing ladders and using a squeegee or cloth but nowadays, the majority use a wfp making the job quicker and easier aswell as safer yet, this hasn't brought the price down like a custmoer should be able to expect.

I charge between £5 and £8 for my average 3 bed house which I feel is about right for this part of the country. I can't understand why others think it's ok to charge £15 £20 or even £25+ for the same work. No, I'm not gonna get rich at my prices but then I was never under any illusion I would plus, my round is in it's infancy and it's up to me to work hard like you're supposed to with any small business before I start making £30K+ per year.

I see so many people that think they should be making £30+ per hour from day one but then these are often the same people that continuelly post threads about how customers mess them about by asking 'can you leave mine this week' or how customers hide because they can't afford to pay their bill etc or text them saying their windows are streaky. I believe a customer should be able to fall 2 or 3 cleans behind and still be able to dip into their pocket to pay their window cleaning bill on the doorstep and not, have to take out a loan to do so.

The guy in question in the O/P might be cheap but I very much doubt he's doing just any house for a fiver and is probably telling people over the phone that his price is for an average house but even so, he might have his reasons....perhaps he's just starting out or is targetting a specific area. Maybe his missus is on 50K and he just wants to get off his ass and contribute a little. Either way, in my opinion he's doing alot less damage to the trade than those that seem intent on pushing the idea of affording a regular window cleaner away from the average tenant.

Mart.
Well said .........

Well doesnt sound like you are charging the industry standard of a £1 a window then.
£1. A WINDOW AS STANDARD.

Where did u read that.

My house has 11 windows and French doors and upvc doors.

My area £8. Max. Most would be cheaper

FYI i price on time not per window.

I know how long x amount of time per window, etc etc etc.

Most houses i price i spot on for what i want.

FYI i price on time not per window.

I know how long x amount of time per window, etc etc etc.

Most houses i price i spot on for what i want.
I do the same. Always on time

So the question is damo

Are u a £30 an hour man or a £50 lol

I do the same. Always on timeSo the question is damo

Are u a £30 an hour man or a £50 lol
I can DO £50 an hour for about two days then I'm dead.

I think £25 is a nice number. But I usually aim for 3 £12 houses an hour.

I can DO £50 an hour for about two days then I'm dead.

I think £25 is a nice number. But I usually aim for 3 £12 houses an hour.
Same here.......ive got good paying work and some not so good paying work. But as an average its all good and all good customer.

£25. An hour including breaks is what im happy with working alone but most the time theres 2 of us so get lots more done

Latest Posts

Back