Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

3mm pencil jets hydrophobic

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I accidentally used the 3mm pencil heya without realising when they were all new out. I wondered why my flow seemed slower, whacked my pump flow up to 65, rather than the usual 35-40 I had it on. I did one large £35 house, came back to the van and used about a 1/4 of my 500L tank ???  it was then I worked out I had wrong jets. Not for me lol. 
I have seen a chart noting psi and flow and it said higher psi lower the flow? I don’t use a controller never have so wouldn’t know what less flow seems like. All I know is it comes out of my pencils like when your absolutely bosting for a wee and goes up above your head and hits the floor probably 15ft away ??

I have come to a similar conclusion. In that you don't need that much flow when scrubbing/washing but when rinsing, within reason, the more flow the faster the rinse goes.  

I'm considering modifying my backpack so I can remotely switch between low flow (using the speed controller) and high flow using the full 12v to the pump giving max speed. Think I will have a play to see if I can manually try this on a few windows this week. 

Nice to see it's not just me (noob) who sees that less water is needed in washing/scrubbing phase than in rinsing phase.
Spring Europe added a dual speed radio controlled controller to their range. I thought it would be a fast seller, but there wasn't any up-take. I imagine trying to press buttons on a controller fob a couple of times at each window didn't float many cleaner's 'boats'. If it was voice activated, then that would have changed the game.

Spring Europe added a dual speed radio controlled controller to their range. I thought it would be a fast seller, but there wasn't any up-take. I imagine trying to press buttons on a controller fob a couple of times at each window didn't float many cleaner's 'boats'. If it was voice activated, then that would have changed the game.
I think their current wfp link controller can be configured to have 2 different pump speeds on different fob buttons. If/when I get a van I might push the boat out and get one as I like the remote fob round my neck. 

I’ve got one of those still in the box lol in-line tap was a much easier method until the univalves/gardeners twist valves came about

I think their current wfp link controller can be configured to have 2 different pump speeds on different fob buttons. If/when I get a van I might push the boat out and get one as I like the remote fob round my neck. 
I didn't know that. Thanks

As much as I'm immersed in electronics I just use a univalve now days, the best innovation to hit the industry by far

I didn't know that. Thanks
I believe you use the app to configure the fob buttons to do what you want. I believe you can even have multiple cal setting for different poles or hot and cold etc. There are 4 buttons so lots of config options I think. There might be some config limitations but not played with one. 

I’m the opposite, I use a very high flow when scrubbing. 
this means I barely have to rinse at all. 
it’s more of a quick check over than a rinse. 
I use the same amount of water as I did before, but I’m loads quicker, at least an extra house a day. ??

If your serious about being a pro window cleaner, eventually you’ll need a set up, where the amount of water you use isn’t an issue. If you need it you’ve got it. 

This doesn’t necessarily apply when your starting out though, conserving water may important if your buying it in or struggling to carry enough. 
Yeah that's what I've been doing, having so much flow of water means that rinsing is not really necessary.  If you get the technique right then rinsing is overkill and actually wastes water and time.

It's taken me a long time to be brave enough to try it but on quite a few houses I do I'm not rinsing.  It's trial and error as some windows I find the finish isn't quite right so needs a rinse but most of the windows are fine, if not better for some reason.  In particular the self cleaning glass, not rinsing seems to give a better finish like it's more gloss like the finish.

I believe you use the app to configure the fob buttons to do what you want. I believe you can even have multiple cal setting for different poles or hot and cold etc. There are 4 buttons so lots of config options I think. There might be some config limitations but not played with one. 
Although I understand the idea and the reasoning behind it I suspect in practise it's not fast enough to switch between the two.  Like with it being electronic I would expect there to be maybe a 1 second delay in changing the flow rate, well that delay will seem like an age when you're on the job.  I find that anything that interrupts my rhythm has a tendency to slow me down.  It's easier to work really fast with a really good flow.

Could be handy for other types of cleaning though, like conservatory roofs, fascias etc.

Although I understand the idea and the reasoning behind it I suspect in practise it's not fast enough to switch between the two.  Like with it being electronic I would expect there to be maybe a 1 second delay in changing the flow rate, well that delay will seem like an age when you're on the job.  I find that anything that interrupts my rhythm has a tendency to slow me down.  It's easier to work really fast with a really good flow.

Could be handy for other types of cleaning though, like conservatory roofs, fascias etc.
I use the wfp link and univalve together, it’s not just a stop start flow controller like a univalve, tap.

you can on/off water flow like the univalve also pause on/off the pump which is useful if you stop for a quick chat with a customer plus turn flow up/down which is useful when doing veluxes. 

When cleaning above three storey buildings it’s much safer to use than the univalve and a lot easier. 

I normally start cleaning houses from the rear and work back to the front Tap the fob just before I start to extend my pole when you get used to using one it with save battery also save time as you know when it’s easier to tap the fob or pull the univalve. 

I have three brand new univalves and suspect they will now last my for many years as now I’m using both. 

Yeah that's what I've been doing, having so much flow of water means that rinsing is not really necessary.  If you get the technique right then rinsing is overkill and actually wastes water and time.

It's taken me a long time to be brave enough to try it but on quite a few houses I do I'm not rinsing.  It's trial and error as some windows I find the finish isn't quite right so needs a rinse but most of the windows are fine, if not better for some reason.  In particular the self cleaning glass, not rinsing seems to give a better finish like it's more gloss like the finish.
I think that where you are does play a part in a no separate rinse technique.

We are on the north coast. Due to the salt air we have to spend more time washing and need a following rinse. I have also tried this wash and go technique on numerous windows and it doesn't leave a satisfactory result.

However, many years ago I helped a fellow Windie whose van was off the road with a broken injector. His round was well inland and not affected by the salt air. Washing and rinsing was much easier and quicker. I could possibly have got away with just washing on a high flow rate if the windows were done 4 weekly. But that's just my opinion.

I think that where you are does play a part in a no separate rinse technique.

We are on the north coast. Due to the salt air we have to spend more time washing and need a following rinse. I have also tried this wash and go technique on numerous windows and it doesn't leave a satisfactory result.

However, many years ago I helped a fellow Windie whose van was off the road with a broken injector. His round was well inland and not affected by the salt air. Washing and rinsing was much easier and quicker. I could possibly have got away with just washing on a high flow rate if the windows were done 4 weekly. But that's just my opinion.
We literally do windows country wide and all work in the south are, mostly, quarterly with some 6 monthly. The quarterly in the south are no dirtier than the monthly up here.

Back