Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice Greatly Appreciated

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Status
Not open for further replies.
They same way the Sky fitters do, they now drill and hook the wall before strapping the ladders to the eye hook. I'll also wager that people never inspect their ladders before use and keep a record of the inspection - under PUWER this is a legal requirement.

You drill holes in peoples walls like sky, do they not work of their ladder? If so are they breaking the law? I applaud good H+S practices however back to the original question IT IS NOT BREAKING THE LAW TO USE A LADDER WINDOW CLEANING

I don't drill the wall as I don't use my ladders as a work platform. It's not illegal but it's going to be in the near future as the HSE clamp down on them because as per the regs you shouldn't use them when there is a practicable alternative (that also works better than trad)

So

They same way the Sky fitters do, they now drill and hook the wall before strapping the ladders to the eye hook. I'll also wager that people never inspect their ladders before use and keep a record of the inspection - under PUWER this is a legal requirement.
Think my time on this topic is up mate.I have enjoyed discussing with you Eclipse but dont want carry it on as I need a break from it. HE HE maybe somebody else can take it up.Take er eeezy

When you climb off your ladder and feet are on the ground risk factor is over.You can not fall off a ladder unless you are on it so you are wrong.
Ok, lets take one of the most researched risks out there as a comparison - driving your car.

When you look around for insurance quotes you're always asked what you average annual mileage is - the more miles you drive, the higher your premium is because you're considered a higher risk.

Isn't it strange that the most experienced & practiced drivers are considered more at risk of accident? Do you think telling the insurer "Its ok mate - I stop every 10 miles for a break, so I'm still low risk" would do any good?

Low risk short duration work quickly becomes a high risk occupation when this risk is carried out repeatedly day after day - its statistics 101.

Ok, lets take one of the most researched risks out there as a comparison - driving your car.

When you look around for insurance quotes you're always asked what you average annual mileage is - the more miles you drive, the higher your premium is because you're considered a higher risk.

Isn't it strange that the most experienced & practiced drivers are considered more at risk of accident? Do you think telling the insurer "Its ok mate - I stop every 10 miles for a break, so I'm still low risk" would do any good?

Low risk short duration work quickly becomes a high risk occupation when this risk is carried out repeatedly day after day - its statistics 101.
Hi Njones as I said to Eclipse I am leaving this topic mate I have enjoyed our chat and moving on but I will reply to ya this last time.Your thinking is flawed you have to factor in 3rd party ie other drivers in car. No 3rd party using ladders its all up to you in regards of safety.

Take er eezy mate cuz I am finished on this topic

Who wants to use a ladder if you don't have to. Scaffolders are going to struggle with a ladder ban, it's ridiculous to think they are banned. A quick Google search or a call to your local HSE will confirm this.

Every so often this crops up on CIU. It is the same old debate, ie wfp users will always try to decry or prevent the use of ladders whether lawful or not. Ladders are not illegal nor will ever be so. the wfp gang try and interpet the law in a way that suits them best as they know full well trad gives better results. Wfp has its place but it is not the b all and end all of window cleaning. We use gleaming for our employers and third party insurance, they know EXACTLY how we operate and are more than happy to cover us, We have a wfp set up which is only used on jobs where ladder access is immpossible,

Regards to all, Steve

PS I thought this was a trad forum??!!

^^ Which is the correct use for them, and you'll notice they are tied or otherwise secured at the top to prevent them moving.

Trad gives better results? I don't think so.... Not only is WFP faster and safer it's also much more thorough and stays cleaner longer.

Every so often this crops up on CIU. It is the same old debate, ie wfp users will always try to decry or prevent the use of ladders whether lawful or not. Ladders are not illegal nor will ever be so. the wfp gang try and interpet the law in a way that suits them best as they know full well trad gives better results. Wfp has its place but it is not the b all and end all of window cleaning. We use gleaming for our employers and third party insurance, they know EXACTLY how we operate and are more than happy to cover us, We have a wfp set up which is only used on jobs where ladder access is immpossible,

Regards to all, Steve

PS I thought this was a trad forum??!!

Trad gives better results? I don't think so.... Not only is WFP faster and safer it's also much more thorough and stays cleaner longer.
In your opinion not my customers!!

Well said dodg. The original question was are ladders banned. NO they are not. Some comments have made me laugh. Screwing ladder to a wall? & you cannot reach ALL windows with a pole. Most wfp guys carry ladders. I got houses where I could not clean with a pole. No ones encouraging a newbie to use ladders. He asked a question & the answer is no. Simple. And remember not all of us wanna be full time wfp.

Was talking to a lawyer mate today, We are now legally obliged to use an alternative and make sure that when possible you MUST work from the ground. It does not cost much to get a wfp system.

Was talking to a lawyer mate today, We are now legally obliged to use an alternative and make sure that when possible you MUST work from the ground. It does not cost much to get a wfp system.
To a lot of people it does cost a lot that's why they go trad. So much easier & cheaper to set up

No, ladders are not banned.

The advice from HSE indicates that window cleaners should take all steps to minimise risk in using ladders. There are restrictions on when & where they can be used, and the max height they can be used, before needing to be secured to a buliding.

The HSE also acknowledges that whilst alternatives are available, cost implications may mean they are not within the reach of every window cleaner - and ladder use is therefore acceptable, as long as risk kept to a minimum etc.

As a matter of interest, the HSE also limits the use of WFP - mainly to do with weather conditions & hazards to public (cold weather & ice).

And yes, I do know what I am talking about - I did PL insurance for nearly 20 years prior to starting my cleaning firm, which encompased a great deal of H&S waffle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back