Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on build your own system

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I always do stuff myself. Last month I saved myself about £150 by decorating the baby’s room myself compared to getting it done by my mate(qualified p+d). He even gave me advise knowing that it’s usually somethin I’d get him him to do. He even borrowed me some of his equipment. Also save myself £40 every time I wash the car + van. Both take me around an hour but if I was to go the local car wash they would take the best part of two hours including waiting times, so really I save £40 plus an hour of my time. Also cutting the grass takes 10 mins but would cost me £25 to get it done for me. I consider myself to be on good money but not £25 for ten mins work.

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I think we are moving into an era where men are becoming more feminine with these things....

You have guys now who cant wire a plug, fix a flat tyre, hang a shelf, plumb in a washing machine etc....the basics of being a man

As a kid ive watched my dad build sheds/garages, concrete drives, knock walls through in the house to make an extension, replace a car engine, re tile a roof etc etc the list goes on.

Its passed onto me as theres not much i wont attempt, fencing, laying flooring, plastering, you name it ive probably done it. The only time i would consider calling in a professional is for gas and electric.

Building a van system is so basic to me i would just assume anyone can do it, its just logic....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are moving into an era where men are becoming more feminine with these things....
I think that to say you can wire a plug then you are somehow more masculine than someone who can't is a very strange claim to make. 

If you were brought up in a household where both parents worked and could afford to get someone in to do the jobs you watched your father do, to somehow claim you're more masculine is very strange, in my opinion. There are many people that are very intellectual and hopeless on the practical side. This doesn't make them less "manly"

Borrow a ladder from a neighbour (if you don't have one).

Get the missus to foot the ladder!

Get some deionised water from Sainsburys £5

and 3 microfibre cloths.

Clean the frames using some fairy liquid in water and 1 microfibre cloth.

Clean the glass using only deionised water and 2 cloths. Use one cloth to get the dirt off and the other to polish. 

Job done. Cheap as chips. 

PS. Trade Skills 4U is an excellent place, if you fancy learning to do your own home electrics!

Thanks for those of u who gave advice.  I’ve decided to go with a gardiner pole and brush linked straight into my outdoor tap.  Like some of u said the di vessel and resin could be not so cost effective. I will use Degreaser on first wash and connect a squeegee to the pole to finish off to get rid of water marks.

ive always got the option in future to purify water in future with second hand di vessels.

I prefer to carry out work myself these days people are unreliable and do a poor standard of work.  If u want a job done to ur standards do it yourself!! Some people on here need to accept window cleaning can be done by almost anyone; with YouTube showing the techniques required it is cost effective having ur own kit.  Before I posted I was 50 50 as to whether I’d go with a window cleaner or get some kit but after reading some of these responses I’d rather keep my money myself than pay a window cleaning if this is the attitude in the industry; trying to keep the game to yourselves and shut out the newcomers!

If your not going to do the job properly why buy a gardiner pole and use that with tap water ? You need pure water to clean windows with a pole. The results with just tap water will be awful ! Your better off cleaning them traditional. As you say window cleaning can be done by almost anyone ! You could also take up doing your own dental work as I'm sure there is info on You Tube and I'm sure your standards better. I think you have insulted a lot of PROFESSIONAL people on here. Part of me thinks this is just a pi$$ take [emoji52]

I think that to say you can wire a plug then you are somehow more masculine than someone who can't is a very strange claim to make. 
If you were brought up in a household where both parents worked and could afford to get someone in to do the jobs you watched your father do, to somehow claim you're more masculine is very strange, in my opinion. There are many people that are very intellectual and hopeless on the practical side. This doesn't make them less "manly"
It is a little feminist but true. Women are always a little cautious when it comes to these things. I couldn’t image calling out an electrician to replace a fuse etc but my misses would if I wasn’t there. Some people are cautious by nature and some revert back to their roots of survival. Sometimes it does backfire though as I found out last week. I tried to fix our dryer, found a few vids on YouTube and off I went. About half hour into it I nearly smashed the fecking thing up. Oh well. At least I tried. [emoji23][emoji23]

Like it or not, problem solving, fixing things etc are masculine traits.

Thanks for those of u who gave advice.  I’ve decided to go with a gardiner pole and brush linked straight into my outdoor tap.  Like some of u said the di vessel and resin could be not so cost effective. I will use Degreaser on first wash and connect a squeegee to the pole to finish off to get rid of water marks.

ive always got the option in future to purify water in future with second hand di vessels.

I prefer to carry out work myself these days people are unreliable and do a poor standard of work.  If u want a job done to ur standards do it yourself!! Some people on here need to accept window cleaning can be done by almost anyone; with YouTube showing the techniques required it is cost effective having ur own kit.  Before I posted I was 50 50 as to whether I’d go with a window cleaner or get some kit but after reading some of these responses I’d rather keep my money myself than pay a window cleaning if this is the attitude in the industry; trying to keep the game to yourselves and shut out the newcomers!
Had all responses been positive then you would have bought the kit anyway, so either way it would have made no difference to the outcome.

"Some people on here need to accept window cleaning can be done by almost anyone" is a comment that will hopefully stand the test of time in your case. Yes, window cleaning can be done by just about anyone, but getting a streek free finish is a whole new story, especially as you are going to squeegee your windows with a pole with no previous experience.

I wish you the best with your efforts and hope they meet your high standards.

I had a customer once, complaining about the price I was charging for his bed and breakfast. Took me an hour and a half and charged him £50! Very reasonable. He decided he was gonna do them himself and asked what equipment he would need, I duly explained everything and he went out and spent a small fortune on a wfp system to do them himself.....he did them once and took him all day (three story old type of house, nearly all leaded, some very awkward windows from funny tight angles) had the job back a month later at £60 a clean [emoji23][emoji23] he still has all the gear sat in his garage [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums

If your not going to do the job properly why buy a gardiner pole and use that with tap water ? You need pure water to clean windows with a pole. The results with just tap water will be awful ! Your better off cleaning them traditional. As you say window cleaning can be done by almost anyone ! You could also take up doing your own dental work as I'm sure there is info on You Tube and I'm sure your standards better. I think you have insulted a lot of PROFESSIONAL people on here. Part of me thinks this is just a pi$$ take [emoji52]

At least he’s had the incentive to go out there and get professional advice. Having your windows cleaned domestically is a luxury that some can’t afford, especially with the crazy prices floating about these days. Back in the day fair dos as it was classed a danger money but with the stuff out these days it’s easier and cheaper to do it yourself. The thing is though people will pay it. Since coming on here my expectations of what you can charge have changed rapidly. I’ve put it into practice and been surprised. I don’t know if they are that desperate or what? Last month I picked up a new job, just a front of a terrace, one up one down and a door. It was a little way off my beaten track so I decided it wasn’t worth it so said it’s a tenner for all glass, frames, sills and door. She snatched my hand off on a monthly clean as the older guy was glass only for a fiver fortnightly. Wtf?? I put my prices up last year and went for broke on an estate were I clean 40 out of 44 houses on there. Four bed detached with a conny went from £7 to £9 which is still cheap compared to some. My response was, bloody hell thats some hike. Tight as cramp. I told him I’m running a business not a charity. I lost one and three went monthly so not bad. Best thing is I do a council estate full of three bed semis, they went up from £4.50 to £6 so pretty much the same rise in percentages. None cancelled and a few said I was still too cheap and was more than happy to pay. It’s all about who you know and not what you know. Last year I had a clutch and flywheel repaced on the family car. Normally it would have cost £2000 plus vat but one of the lads did it for £1600 all in. Now that’s a saving and I bet he still made a wedge. If someone’s after a bit of advice then give it to em. I can’t believe that again after all the stick cleaners get about living in the ninetys and guarding their “patches” and it’s anybody’s game that the same people will openly deny other people a small nugget of advice. When the boot fits[emoji106]

I had a customer once, complaining about the price I was charging for his bed and breakfast. Took me an hour and a half and charged him £50! Very reasonable. He decided he was gonna do them himself and asked what equipment he would need, I duly explained everything and he went out and spent a small fortune on a wfp system to do them himself.....he did them once and took him all day (three story old type of house, nearly all leaded, some very awkward windows from funny tight angles) had the job back a month later at £60 a clean
emoji23.png
emoji23.png
he still has all the gear sat in his garage
emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using Window Cleaning Forums
One of the local lads quoted a customer for a fascia and gutter clean. The customer's response was that the price was daylight robbery and he would do them himself. Sadly, whilst he was up there he fell from his ladder. He is paralysed and will be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

At least @justmyhouse1982 isn't going to use ladders.

There are many people that are very intellectual and hopeless on the practical side. This doesn't make them less "manly"

You should go for a pint with my daughters fella, or more likely with him a Sea Breeze!   Intellectual as hell, Manly?  Well f the usual suspects are Alan Carr, Graham Norton and Zippy from Rainbow then sure, he's 'Manly' !  ?

In his defence, he makes her happy and can afford any tradsemen needed at the house so fair play.  (I still don't like him) 

At least he’s had the incentive to go out there and get professional advice. Having your windows cleaned domestically is a luxury that some can’t afford, especially with the crazy prices floating about these days. Back in the day fair dos as it was classed a danger money but with the stuff out these days it’s easier and cheaper to do it yourself. The thing is though people will pay it. Since coming on here my expectations of what you can charge have changed rapidly. I’ve put it into practice and been surprised. I don’t know if they are that desperate or what? Last month I picked up a new job, just a front of a terrace, one up one down and a door. It was a little way off my beaten track so I decided it wasn’t worth it so said it’s a tenner for all glass, frames, sills and door. She snatched my hand off on a monthly clean as the older guy was glass only for a fiver fortnightly. Wtf?? I put my prices up last year and went for broke on an estate were I clean 40 out of 44 houses on there. Four bed detached with a conny went from £7 to £9 which is still cheap compared to some. My response was, bloody hell thats some hike. Tight as cramp. I told him I’m running a business not a charity. I lost one and three went monthly so not bad. Best thing is I do a council estate full of three bed semis, they went up from £4.50 to £6 so pretty much the same rise in percentages. None cancelled and a few said I was still too cheap and was more than happy to pay. It’s all about who you know and not what you know. Last year I had a clutch and flywheel repaced on the family car. Normally it would have cost £2000 plus vat but one of the lads did it for £1600 all in. Now that’s a saving and I bet he still made a wedge. If someone’s after a bit of advice then give it to em. I can’t believe that again after all the stick cleaners get about living in the ninetys and guarding their “patches” and it’s anybody’s game that the same people will openly deny other people a small nugget of advice. When the boot fits
emoji106.png

Pricing is all about what the market believes is a fair price for a given service. This price perception changes from one estate to another in the same town/city depending on people's disposable income.

They also are likely to compare what we charge for a 30 minute job against the minimum wage, forgetting that an employee earning the minimum wage is costing the employer a lot more than the minimum wage. They also most likely have no clue what expenses and running cost are running any business. Mr @justmyhouse1982 is going to find out how expensive a Gardiner pole (even a CLX) is to do a small job as and when required. For me each job I stop at costs me £4 on running costs before I've earnt a penny.

So for me charging £6 for a house is a no go.

Pricing is all about what the market believes is a fair price for a given service. This price perception changes from one estate to another in the same town/city depending on people's disposable income.

They also are likely to compare what we charge for a 30 minute job against the minimum wage, forgetting that an employee earning the minimum wage is costing the employer a lot more than the minimum wage. They also most likely have no clue what expenses and running cost are running any business. Mr [mention=6860]justmyhouse1982[/mention] is going to find out how expensive a Gardiner pole (even a CLX) is to do a small job as and when required. For me each job I stop at costs me £4 on running costs before I've earnt a penny.
So for me charging £6 for a house is a no go.

I think Mrjustmyhouse should just pay his £15 a month to have a quality, freindly, fully insured service to his Window Cleaning needs........or his he one of those customers we just know is going to be a PITA...mmmmmmmm...

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

You said that as if you were talking about a bunch of employees for one company. The bulk of people just gave you advice. Every person on this forum represents themselves and their own thoughts and feelings so you will get some you don't agree with. As someone who started out just over a year ago I can assure you they do not withhold information from newcomers, I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of a lot of people on the forum.

With regards to spending hundreds on a gardeners pole to clean with tap water I genuinely wouldn't waste your money. For less than £50 on eBay you can find a water fed brush that plugs into your tap. If you plan to squeegee it off anyway then you will get the same finish.

Personally, in your position, I would just dip into your pocket. Get a few quotes and go for 2 monthly cleans instead of monthly. You may end up paying £20 for a 2 monthly clean as most people charge more than they do for monthly. You want a good quality finish but you don't wanna pay £15 a month....£3.75 a week. If the job takes you 2 hours then ask yourself are you worth more than £7.50 an hour.

I have a gardener that has come for the last few months and mowed my lawn for £12.50 every 2 weeks, bargain, thats 2 hours I get back every every fortnight to spend with my family,  focus on my business or just sit and plat computer games, it doesn't really matter but I know I am worth more than £6.25 an hour! Some people spend £4 a day on coffee... Some even more. They could buy a professional coffee machine for £500 and make their own... You are also paying for someone to take the hassle away from you. Life is short and you only get one crack at it, too short to be spending spare time doing something we can pay a professional a reasonable rate to do for us.

You said that as if you were talking about a bunch of employees for one company. The bulk of people just gave you advice. Every person on this forum represents themselves and their own thoughts and feelings so you will get some you don't agree with. As someone who started out just over a year ago I can assure you they do not withhold information from newcomers, I wouldn't be where I am today without the support of a lot of people on the forum.

With regards to spending hundreds on a gardeners pole to clean with tap water I genuinely wouldn't waste your money. For less than £50 on eBay you can find a water fed brush that plugs into your tap. If you plan to squeegee it off anyway then you will get the same finish.

Personally, in your position, I would just dip into your pocket. Get a few quotes and go for 2 monthly cleans instead of monthly. You may end up paying £20 for a 2 monthly clean as most people charge more than they do for monthly. You want a good quality finish but you don't wanna pay £15 a month....£3.75 a week. If the job takes you 2 hours then ask yourself are you worth more than £7.50 an hour.

I have a gardener that has come for the last few months and mowed my lawn for £12.50 every 2 weeks, bargain, thats 2 hours I get back every every fortnight to spend with my family,  focus on my business or just sit and plat computer games, it doesn't really matter but I know I am worth more than £6.25 an hour! Some people spend £4 a day on coffee... Some even more. They could buy a professional coffee machine for £500 and make their own... You are also paying for someone to take the hassle away from you. Life is short and you only get one crack at it, too short to be spending spare time doing something we can pay a professional a reasonable rate to do for us.
Agree with all the above.

I’ve mentioned this several times over the years on here, but I’ve had a Window cleaner for the 14 years that I’ve lived in my current house.

He charges less than I would, and has mentioned above, my leisure time is precious.

I love my weekends and the thought of getting my gear out to clean my own windows feels me with dread ?

Some people spend £4 a day on coffee... Some even more. They could buy a professional coffee machine for £500 and make their own... 
£500 I nearly spat my coffee out that I made in my £15 cafetiere, Its the quality of the product not the trash they put in it at these coffee places, tastes like swamp water ?

some people enjoy doing D.I.Y though, its a hobby as much as a need...

for this guy cleaning his windows is something to do, others might prefer to be down the pub, me i prefer to be out on my bike, each to their own.

most of us will pay someone else to do something we dont want to do. 

Back