Advice On Buying A Round

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by Hedwerk, Feb 28, 2013.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. Hedwerk

Hedwerk Guest

Hi guys,

After a bit of advice on buying a round, on whether this seems a decent price or not. Having cleaned windows traditionally for a few years with a group I've come across a man who is due to sell around August this year (retiring) with the majority of the customers having bungalows :) and I've been keen to go it alone for a while now, building up work myself to do outside of my normal working week.

I've been told the round has been established for over 10 years, traditionally cleaned and it is relatively compact on some days, spread out on others - I have been given all the details of where/frequency and prices etc and have said that when he is ready to pass on that I would like to work the round with him or meet his customers and that a notice letter could be sent out as a way of introduction. The round is a 6 week round that yeilds approx 860 pcm and he does this in three days a week.

The only downside I can see is that the round is made up from elderly people - sorry if I come across as ageist - and looking through his books for the last year he lost 8 though gained a couple. I would hope that a bout of bad flu would not wipe half the round out!

He is asking for £4000 ono, does that sound a realistic price?

Thanks for your help.

Quick edit: no gear/equipment is supplied.

Advertisement
  2. JDMW

JDMW Guru

i thought the going rate is norm 3x the round price. so EG 1000 quid round pcm would cost you 3000-4000.

3. mr shine

mr shine Guru

does he work 18 days to clean the 6 week round for 1290 pounds, if so thats only 71 pounds per day ,if that is the case the work might be underpriced , so 4k would be to much imo

4. M.K Cleaners.co.uk

M.K Cleaners.co.uk Grand Master

Old customers are the best in my opinion, only downside there a bugger to put the price up on.

I could have this worked out worn but it seems severely under priced

5. OoO

OoO Guest

I had just been messing around with figures and came up with £71.

Ask him what he earns per day. If he says £60-£80 then you know the score, if he starts saying "over a 100 is easy" walk away!

6. beaver0_15

beaver0_15 Active Member

It would have to be very cheap to buy if its only earning 70 quid a day then try ur luck doubling the prices.

7. adyspurs

adyspurs Guru

Please don't buy this round,be patient and build your own work and invest the money wisely,believe me it will pay of.

8. JDMW

JDMW Guru

yeh i wouldnt either. best to build ya own mate in all honesty. business is business, id say im interested and go round with him and then after flyer the place, he wont sell so it will be untouched.

9. Doo

Doo Well-Known Member

I bought work worth £1000 per month for £4000 already added customers, listen I have had alot of great advice on the forums, but when I said I was starting in Jan this year alot of guys said don't wait till march , I started in Jan & have all my work upto date ...trust yourself I would say.

Ask plenty of questions of the seller.

Why are they selling
    Are there other windies on the round & do they know it;s being sold
    When was the last price increase
    How long does it take to do the work
    Are the custys good payers
    how do the custys pay

10. instrength

instrength Well-Known Member

Have to say I agree with above.. When I started I bought supposedly £650 monthly work and didn't ask the right questions. In short half he hadn't done and were so cheap not worth doing and the rest was just a pain. He had just touted for the work at a cheap price then sold the work.

Go with your gut if it feels wrong walk away!!

Good luck... :)

PS out of all the work I purchased I've let them all go!

Advertisement