Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on Pumps Controllers Poles for new starter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Hi Guys money is limited but looking at what would be ok for starting off.

Looking at Gardiner slx22 pole

shurflo pump 100psi. Controllers unsure of  daft question can I get one that links to 

van battery. Going to be using a berlingo van also best place to source around  a 350-400 litre baffled tank. 

would you guys recommend other makes best places to source,

All advice appreciated 

For tanks www.ecosure.co.uk and scroll right down to baffled water tanks.

If you live anywhere near royston you can collect and save delivery costs also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Controller a Spring V16 seems to be best out there - lots of companies brand it their own but look for 'V16' .

As for connecting to your van battery you might be OK and it will work but there are a couple of issues. First is you will flatten it too much and after a couple of days you might find it wont start the van. Secondly a vans battery isn't designed for that sort of current drain so you will kill it over quite a short time. Best to get a leisure battery and either mains charge each night or depending on year of van Split charge relay or Battery to Battery charger but then you need to do a good few miles a day to keep it charged. 

As for a tank Wydale seem to be the 'standard' but the critical thing is mounting it. Don't be tempted to just strap it in as the tie downs are normally rated at about 50kg each. In the event of an accident the weight of a tank can increase to 5 to 10 times it's weight!!! So you need a decent frame and it to be bolted through the floor with spreader plates. 

If your Berlingo is the 850kg load one you should be fine with 400 litres but if its 625kg then once you add you, your kit and a full fuel tank with a 400lts tank you will be overloaded!!! 

shurflo pump 100psi. Controllers unsure of  daft question can I get one that links to 

van battery. Going to be using a berlingo van also best place to source around  a 350-400 litre baffled tank. 

All advice appreciated 
I'd read the forum and take notes. Everything you ask has unfortunately been asked a million times before. 

Doing your homework helps learn about the trade you wish to venture into 

Thanks guys  yeah the van is the 850kg, a 2011 plate, so know I’m limited on litre size, agree  tank and fittings most important  will look for someone in north east, seen a few vans where they just ratchet strapped ?, will look out for  a decent controller ,  and yes I need to do more research,  I. Learning all the time,  just been a delay as needed to pass me test , and getting a theory and practical booked wasn’t that easy with covid , then sorting insurances out ,it’s a minefield

Thanks guys  yeah the van is the 850kg, a 2011 plate, so know I’m limited on litre size, agree  tank and fittings most important  will look for someone in north east, seen a few vans where they just ratchet strapped ?, will look out for  a decent controller ,  and yes I need to do more research,  I. Learning all the time,  just been a delay as needed to pass me test , and getting a theory and practical booked wasn’t that easy with covid , then sorting insurances out ,it’s a minefield
Depends where in the NE you are, there's a place in Dunston Newcastle, that will fit the system and speedline the floor or there's a place in Grimsby that will supply and fit the equipment.

I would personally recommend you pass your test first.

I've known a few with big ambitions and dreams of being self employed and getting a pass is the biggest hurdle.

Don't buy, size up or stockpile any equipment until you have your licence in your hand.

Affordable vans are becoming harder to find. Insurance isn't cheap.

I don't mean to sound harsh but start off logically and work up.

I've known a few with big ambitions and dreams of being self employed and getting a pass is the biggest hurdle.

Don't buy, size up or stockpile any equipment until you have your licence in your hand.

Affordable vans are becoming harder to find. Insurance isn't cheap.

I don't mean to sound harsh but start off logically and work up.
When I worked in the motor trade, I sold a brand new C15 van to a couple of youngsters who started up a painting business. The C15 was on run-out for £4995 + VAT + delivery + road fund licence.

The cheapest fully comprehensive insurance they were quoted was around £2500 per year with a high excess. I managed to get cover for them through Citroën at £2000. They nearly bit my hand off with that price.

Over the years, I occasionally think about their situation back then and wonder what happened to them - did they succeed with their business or not?

When I worked in the motor trade, I sold a brand new C15 van to a couple of youngsters who started up a painting business. The C15 was on run-out for £4995 + VAT + delivery + road fund licence.

The cheapest fully comprehensive insurance they were quoted was around £2500 per year with a high excess. I managed to get cover for them through Citroën at £2000. They nearly bit my hand off with that price.

Over the years, I occasionally think about their situation back then and wonder what happened to them - did they succeed with their business or not?
It's an expensive luxury to drive. When I past my test 2 weeks after my 17th birthday my insurance 3rd party fire & theft on a MG Metro was £498pa with a £350 excess 

I now pay less than half of that for my van 

Age is a massive factor that comes into play. Also passing a car test now days doesn't if I'm correct give you the automatic right to drive a van so costing will need tweaking 

All advice appreciated 
Might pay to get a pre wired pump and controller on a board have a look at pure freedoms web site all you have to do then is connect it to the leisure battery and  tank . 

Affordable vans are becoming harder to find. Insurance isn't 

I have past me not , luckily for me I’m not 17? plus side of being older, got good deal on insurance, which was a shock as some prices crazt, and had to travel to bottom of country for van, prices of 2nd hand vans crazy,

one owner  and it’s going in for timing belt next week.

on another note been ringing around for a leisure battery guy at sales suggested  by a mobility battery  AGM said a leisure battery loses its warranty for this type of work, but said people still buy them, 

I have past me not , luckily for me I’m not 17? plus side of being older, got good deal on insurance, which was a shock as some prices crazt, and had to travel to bottom of country for van, prices of 2nd hand vans crazy,

one owner  and it’s going in for timing belt next week.

on another note been ringing around for a leisure battery guy at sales suggested  by a mobility battery  AGM said a leisure battery loses its warranty for this type of work, but said people still buy them, 
If you get a quality leisure battery from Euro car parts there is no capping of use or no warranty related issues with window cleaning use 

Where in the country are you 

Need to try and work out size  then euro parts it will be , now looking to see what controller is best  and whether to get the one set up from pure freedom or go for a spring v16

Need to try and work out size  then euro parts it will be , now looking to see what controller is best  and whether to get the one set up from pure freedom or go for a spring v16
I personally have 2x lion 110Ah batteries. One for my window cleaning equipment and another as an auxiliary battery for beacons

So great cost saving deals at Euro car parts at the moment.

They only stock new production batteries and as opposed to buying a random battery online there's always a store close to you if any issues occur

DA Components 

Blade right 

Wintecs 

All stock Spring Europe Ltd V16' and Shurflo ready to use pump boards.

Much appreciated going to for a exude leisure battery at europarts   Remeber when got a battery for car told Lion Cheap and nasty and that was by guy at ECP

Didn’t mean to offend I just had to return car battery and guy said Lion nightmare 

Latest Posts

Back