Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice with roof clean...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Am i missing something here Bernard ?

You used Hypo = Washed out appearance

You used PW no chems = Washed out appearance

You manually cleaned = Washed out appearance

What was staining the roof that you are now trying to avoid by looking for a non - staining moss killer?

Robster

Am i missing something here Bernard ?
You used Hypo = Washed out appearance

You used PW no chems = Washed out appearance

You manually cleaned = Washed out appearance

What was staining the roof that you are now trying to avoid by looking for a non - staining moss killer?

Robster
I'm going back next weekend I'll grab some photo's while I'm there...

More like this...

Hypo = Washed out

PW = Washed out

Manually cleaned = Not washed out... Except for one patch where the moss was heaviest (a small section of the roof in the photo).

I tried the UBIK 2000 on the guttering and Fascia's. It worked well. Those magic sponges took some marks away too, not all though. They didn't last long, seemed to fall apart after a minute or two. Maybe I was a bit rough with them.

Ok, its the "washed out" bit im getting lost with, what is the natural roof tile colour meant to be? Im guessing its not a grey concrete coloured roof tile? if it is whats the problem?

The magic sponges are supposed to fall apart

They do that as they do their job

I get through them quite easily

Ok, its the "washed out" bit im getting lost with, what is the natural roof tile colour meant to be? Im guessing its not a grey concrete coloured roof tile? if it is whats the problem?
There is a photo in my original post. I'm guessing the roof tiles were originally black. Now they're a slightly faded black. After hypo or a pressure clean they turn a concrete colour, totally grey stone looking.

If after pressure washing without hypo they go grey then surely that is their colour

Thay will be the same colour all the way through so blasting them with water won't actually change their proper colour

If after pressure washing without hypo they go grey then surely that is their colourThay will be the same colour all the way through so blasting them with water won't actually change their proper colour
I'm no expert so you maybe right.

This is what I thought though...The tiles are quite old 40+ years I'm guessing and are mainly a uniform black colour. Whatever black coating they had on to start with is worn, paper thin and hanging on with its finger nails. The hypo and pressure washing just took this remaining layer straight off. It just took the tiles back to the bare concrete they were made of. This looked far worse than an uncleaned/un-hypo'd tile.

They were black and slimy in pic with green moss

They should look grey and dry after a clean

Not sure what you mean by washed out

I'll get photo's at the weekend but until then I'll try give some pictures I've found on google as an example...

This is close to what they were probably like new on. Imagine this covered in moss and other growths and 40+ years later.

View attachment 7822

After a pressure wash or hypo they end up looking like pure concrete below. No uniform colour but a speckled, stone, concrete look.

View attachment 7823

Last edited by a moderator:
By 'washed out' I mean think of it like this... Imagine the dark orange section of the roof in the picture below is what I came to clean. Then when I applied hypo or the pressure washer the faded orange was the result.

View attachment 7824

Ok well obviously that guy is sealing that roof so bit different

Thing is mate the roof was minging ... You cleaned the **** off - your not painting it your cleaning it

What's customers opinion ?

Ok well obviously that guy is sealing that roof so bit differentThing is mate the roof was minging ... You cleaned the **** off - your not painting it your cleaning it

What's customers opinion ?
Customer was fine... I gave them the choice, I showed them the washed out patch where the moss had been after I hand cleaned a small section and asked which they preferred (you couldn't see the test patch I did from the ground). Like me, they didn't like the washed out look and rather I just cleaned the moss off.

Thing is Bernard,

From what your saying , that roof your talking about NEEDS to be sealed, that would be my advice to the customer, and since its a fairly easy roof to get about on, i would say its your chance of an upsell. If they say they dont want it resealed, then my advice would be dont clean it, walk away.

Thing is Bernard,
From what your saying , that roof your talking about NEEDS to be sealed, that would be my advice to the customer, and since its a fairly easy roof to get about on, i would say its your chance of an upsell. If they say they dont want it resealed, then my advice would be dont clean it, walk away.
Yes I agree this roof needed a clean and seal. This was a friends house they had just bought and only got it half renovated before running out of coin. I offered to clean their roof, they have done a lot for me in the past and I thought this would be a good way to repay that debt and gain some roof experience. I don't plan on doing roofs in the future. This was a one off.

Yes I agree this roof needed a clean and seal. This was a friends house they had just bought and only got it half renovated before running out of coin. I offered to clean their roof, they have done a lot for me in the past and I thought this would be a good way to repay that debt and gain some roof experience. I don't plan on doing roofs in the future. This was a one off.
Ah, ok Bernard, i understand.

The chances of the roof leaking had you cleaned it would be highly unlikely, but if it did then......... ?? .

Im thinking you probably did the right thing.

U need a roof ladder for ease of scraping it off . Then stay a mixture of hypo and other things on to wash it. If utouchnfor a rainy day til wash it down for lol. Don't apply it to dry roof wet before

And remember. The roof was probably in need of replacing if it was that old

U can reseal the tiles but as for the faded part. All hypo does is remove dirt and grime The colour it reverted back to would have been a original colour only older.

Back