Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Almost ready to take the plunge over to the darkside

WCF

Help Support WCF:

For one man 350 is plentyAnd if your DI is in van you can top up on job
Yeah that's what i am looking to do mate that would be ideal. I couldn't fill the tank from my flat i'd have to go to my sisters after work and fill it then if i need to top up at work just do it from a customers outside tap with a hose. Was thinking i probably wouldn't go through more than 500 or 600 litre on a good day just going by what i've seen other people saying

Someone said to me it's just something you fit in the van that makes it pure on site. A case of filling the tank up with water from the tap and that is it. Isn't doing it yourself bad for insurance purposes?
Insurance is going to be a grey area, yes i think to do it properly you would have to have an way of mounting the tank that is insurance approved.

me personally i have a 250 tank ratchet strapped in, its not declared as a mod as imo isnt a permanent fixture just goods in transit

many people will have views on the insurance implications and whats right or wrong, it depends what you are happy with i suppose

You would have to be going some to use 500+ litres of water, ive never used 250 yet but ive only done 15 houses max before in a day

Why not get a backpack, a pole and a trolley setup first?
Another alernative to a tank is to make a d.i.y trolley and leave it in the van and connect a reel of microbore to it, then you have a van mount and a trolley in one.

Buy 10+ barrels for cheap off ebay and away you go
I've thought about that in the past but i dont fancy all the carry on filling and changing barrels mate

Insurance is going to be a grey area, yes i think to do it properly you would have to have an way of mounting the tank that is insurance approved.
me personally i have a 250 tank ratchet strapped in, its not declared as a mod as imo isnt a permanent fixture just goods in transit

many people will have views on the insurance implications and whats right or wrong, it depends what you are happy with i suppose

You would have to be going some to use 500+ litres of water, ive never used 250 yet but ive only done 15 houses max before in a day
Yeah i'd need to have piece of mind that it was secure for insurance purposes and plus safety. I thought 350 litre would be ok and just top up if i ever needed to. Cheers

If you have the floorspace on the van, then 10 barrels is not much harder to fill up than a tank, just put the D.I by the van door, connect hose from custies tap to it and other side out into your barrels as you fill up.

put your trolley next to the barrels. get a y splitter on the pump inlet side so you can draw from two (or more) at a time and away you go, no van mods needed no insurance implications job done.

The bottom line is if you are set on having a cage and insurance approved fitting its going to cost you more, if you a bit dodgy and want cheap it can be done.

way i see it is you have to do what you have to do

Agree with adamangler. You can use ratchet straps, but get the industrial strength ones. Insurance isn't a problem as they are not a permanent fixture. Go for it kev, it will drive you insane the first couple of months with teething problems, but after that you will wonder how you managed without it

If you have the floorspace on the van, then 10 barrels is not much harder to fill up than a tank, just put the D.I by the van door, connect hose from custies tap to it and other side out into your barrels as you fill up.
put your trolley next to the barrels. get a y splitter on the pump inlet side so you can draw from two (or more) at a time and away you go, no van mods needed no insurance implications job done.
What would be the reason for drawing more water from two barrels at the same time mate?

The bottom line is if you are set on having a cage and insurance approved fitting its going to cost you more, if you a bit dodgy and want cheap it can be done.way i see it is you have to do what you have to do
I get you mate. Cool

Agree with adamangler. You can use ratchet straps, but get the industrial strength ones. Insurance isn't a problem as they are not a permanent fixture. Go for it kev, it will drive you insane the first couple of months with teething problems, but after that you will wonder how you managed without it
So is that the way it works because it isn't a permanent fixture?! What would the straps be strapped to?

Yeah that's what i am looking to do mate that would be ideal. I couldn't fill the tank from my flat i'd have to go to my sisters after work and fill it then if i need to top up at work just do it from a customers outside tap with a hose. Was thinking i probably wouldn't go through more than 500 or 600 litre on a good day just going by what i've seen other people saying
I don't use more than 150l-200l in an average day and i am busy

I set myself up with a diy trolley for around 60 quid including trolley and pole off ebay for 110

A few 25ldrums from local car wash when they chuck em and away you go

I buy my water but if you only need di it won't add much more to the cost

You could be working wfp for 300 quid i reckon and then buy better bits as you go

Drums and trolley would do the job mounted in the van until you catch up enough to afford a tank

Then go for better pump, reel and flow controller and you will have both then so awkward houses you could whip the trolley out and off you go

What would be the reason for drawing more water from two barrels at the same time mate?
no other reason other than it save you running out mid job and getting an air lock, on a first clean you may well use 25 litres on a job..sometimes airlocks can be a ***** to clear slowing you down. Tip: bit of wire coiled around the end of the hose going into barrel to sink it right to the bottom.

Legally i wouldn't tell the insurance if tank isn't fixed as it is a load and vans are designed to carry loads

You wouldn't have to tell then if you had your ladders and bucket in the back so why a removable load??

I went wfp about 3 months ago after 26 years trad and never looked back

As for swapping customers over i just turned up as normal and cracked on

When customer went to pay i would quickly say don't worry about the water in the glass it's 100% pure and will dry crystal clear..sometimes it can leave the odd spot seeing as i have flushed all the dirt and years of soap out the frames and seals but any issues give me a shout and I'll pop past ony travels and sort it

Tbh i have had nobody with a problem with it and most are amazed at the quality of the job

Usually then they comment about how clean the frames look and that's that

I never explain before i do the job and if no one is in i never mention it

iv just set up my van mount. everything has cost me around 1500. thats an ro unit at home with a 500litre tank.sump pump to van.500 litre tank in van.shurflo pump,spring controller, one shot remote control.110a battery on a split chrger from van. gardiner slx 25, 100metre hose and reel. all plumbing bits and bobs and some spares. its working flawelsessly but i was able to save money as iv done everthing myself from plumbing at home to welding tank in van and wiring chargin system.

I don't use more than 150l-200l in an average day and i am busyI set myself up with a diy trolley for around 60 quid including trolley and pole off ebay for 110

A few 25ldrums from local car wash when they chuck em and away you go

I buy my water but if you only need di it won't add much more to the cost

You could be working wfp for 300 quid i reckon and then buy better bits as you go

Drums and trolley would do the job mounted in the van until you catch up enough to afford a tank

Then go for better pump, reel and flow controller and you will have both then so awkward houses you could whip the trolley out and off you go
Cheers for that davey it's something to think about

no other reason other than it save you running out mid job and getting an air lock, on a first clean you may well use 25 litres on a job..sometimes airlocks can be a ***** to clear slowing you down. Tip: bit of wire coiled around the end of the hose going into barrel to sink it right to the bottom.
I'd be looking to do 20 to 25 houses a day mate that's why i'm thinking loads of barrels would be hassle

Also i give a letter to every customer explaining how pure water cleaning works. some people disagree with this and say no need bbut its working very well with my customers.people accept things far better when they understand.i picked up workfrom people who have had wfp before but the cleaner has never bothered to explain whats happening and why are the windows wet.its a small effort that goes a long way.

iv just set up my van mount. everything has cost me around 1500. thats an ro unit at home with a 500litre tank.sump pump to van.500 litre tank in van.shurflo pump,spring controller, one shot remote control.110a battery on a split chrger from van. gardiner slx 25, 100metre hose and reel. all plumbing bits and bobs and some spares. its working flawelsessly but i was able to save money as iv done everthing myself from plumbing at home to welding tank in van and wiring chargin system.
It'd definitely be a lot less hassle welding it yourself mate

Also i give a letter to every customer explaining how pure water cleaning works. some people disagree with this and say no need bbut its working very well with my customers.people accept things far better when they understand.i picked up workfrom people who have had wfp before but the cleaner has never bothered to explain whats happening and why are the windows wet.its a small effort that goes a long way.
Yeah i can see you're point there mate but i'd speak my customers through it

Latest Posts

Back