Am I being too greedy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by paulio, May 21, 2012.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. paulio

paulio Active Member

Hi guys, just been to quote a house, was a big 4 bedroom detached with French windows all over. I'm still newish to the game and wasn't sure what to charge as this is the first big house I've quoted. So tried guess how long it would take me (trad).

Reckoned it would take me hour - hour 1\2 so quoted £30 if she would like it on a regular basis. She then said I only want it done once or twice a year, which I replied in that case it will be £60 because it will be classed as a one off. She then just made me feel like a was ripping her off and it's mad me feel a bit Swear word!py.

Was I wrong to double the price coz she didn't want it done regular? I would of got the job if I had charged her £30 and now I feel like I've just let a job het away when I could use all the money I can get.

Advertisement
  2. Ryan

Ryan Guest

personally it may be a bit to much at the end of the day like you said its only going to take you a hr and half so £30 for that work and as your starting out just like myself i would of stuck to the £30-35 mark just because that job may lead to more job or try getting it every 3 months and arrange it like that.

i would of said we we agree to every 3 months at £30 would that be ok or even drop it to £25 if you have it done every 3 months she prob would have gone for it

£25-30 for hr and half work is good money imo and as we starting out we should try to get out there

i know loads of bigger boys say double the price but tbh id never double it around me as people wont pay it and just ring someone else wholl do it for a bit less but when u got 150+ customers u can up it a bit

3. Dodger

Dodger Hero

Absolutely agree!

4. cuzza

cuzza Member

2 times a year i would say no but if you are starting out you take most things.I would of said£40 min

5. Paul

Paul Guest

I done the same last week Paul they wanted a one off I think I priced to high didn't get it anyway, but you live and learn, you will know fir next time, these mistakes will happen but atleast your not undercutting yourself to get work.

6. paulio

paulio Active Member

Thanks for the replys guys, guess I'll have to chalk it up to a newbie mistake and learn from it.

Appreciate the responses.

Paul.

7. A.K WINDOWS

dont worry about it start as you mean to go on if they do like it fcuk em,i see what people are saying but you dont want one off cleans anyway once word gets around that you do them every custy will want a one off cleaner sack that

8. laddergarder

I don't do one off because if all my customers just wanted it done once or twice a year I doubt I would still be in business, and wouldn't be able to offer my service at all. So I try not to encourage this for that reason. I agree that if you include frame cleaning, then yeah that first clean should be a bit more. Would I double it if I was doing one offs... bearing in mind I don't do frames, only glass, no, it really does take that much longer, it is the same process. If I was doing frames, I would say yes.

I always say when a customer enquires that we only offer our service on a monthly basis, but to ensure you get a better response, make sure you say to the customer first, if its a one off its £60 due to the extra time first cleans take, but if you want it done each month, we can do it for £30. That way they think its a deal they are getting.

9. A.K WINDOWS

ladder do you ever do frames at all mate?

i do them but at value of the glass.

10. willywindows

willywindows Guest

I hear what your saying but custy might say ok and after first clean decide they don't want the service anymore as they only wanted 1 clean anyway - saved themselves £30 is how some would think
    !

Advertisement