Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Another hot water thread

WCF

Help Support WCF:

One thing I have been thinking about is having the pole end of the hose reel connected back to the tank at the opposite end to the immersion element. Then have a timer to run the pump say 1 min every 15 mins. That way the water is circulated in the tank but the reel will also have nice warm water in so wont freeze?

Anyone see any issues with that?

The opposite side to the lid is where the largest volume of water is ? where the lid is there is a large cutaway where youcan have a DI vessel would take some photo and post I think a small aquarium pump air stone would probably help this obstacle TBH as it would flow the water from one side to the other ?
I cant say on that as I'm not familiar with any other tanks than Wyedale flat 400 and 650 litres.

I don't have a problem with water circulation in the tank. No circulation pump needed in my case. I can see it start circulating within a minute or two of switching on the immersion. Because the immersion is in the corner and near the bottom, as the water heats it rises to just below the filler opening and spreads out across the top. As it's always being followed by more heated water it has no option but to circulate down the opposite side of the tank. And so the process continues.

Once the heater is off and the water stops circulating, the greatest heat is near the top of the tank and the least heat is near the bottom where the outlet is. This means that we start work with the least heated water and as the day goes on the temperature at the brush increases as the more heated water gets lower down in the tank. It's still plenty hot when we finish even if it's down to a couple of inches.

I cant say on that as I'm not familiar with any other tanks than Wyedale flat 400 and 650 litres.

I don't have a problem with water circulation in the tank. No circulation pump needed in my case. I can see it start circulating within a minute or two of switching on the immersion. Because the immersion is in the corner and near the bottom, as the water heats it rises to just below the filler opening and spreads out across the top. As it's always being followed by more heated water it has no option but to circulate down the opposite side of the tank. And so the process continues.

Once the heater is off and the water stops circulating, the greatest heat is near the top of the tank and the least heat is near the bottom where the outlet is. This means that we start work with the least heated water and as the day goes on the temperature at the brush increases as the more heated water gets lower down in the tank. It's still plenty hot when we finish even if it's down to a couple of inches.
Noticed a few people have said there was cold spots in their tanks hence why they use the aquarium pump, my tank as a small cutaway where the controller pump strainer are hidden within the tank this is where the larger volume of water is athother cut out in the middle for the battery hidden within the tank and also the back where lid is large cut out for DI  and a baffle in them middle so circulation in my opinion would be minimal im no expert by any means lol.

One thing I have been thinking about is having the pole end of the hose reel connected back to the tank at the opposite end to the immersion element. Then have a timer to run the pump say 1 min every 15 mins. That way the water is circulated in the tank but the reel will also have nice warm water in so wont freeze?

No that will work well ?

The way a frost stat  works on a diesel heater is it senses when the water in the tank is 1 degree it will then fire the boiler up for 10 muinits and circulate hot water through the pumps and into the tank slightly increasing the tank temperature by a small amount . What you are proposing doing will do a very similar thing but doubt it would need a muinit every 15 muinits if the water in the tank is 2 degrees or warmer it should be fine without circulation obviously the hotter the water in the tank the better as it will radiate heat into the van and stop pumps filters etc from freezing. 

Debating whether to go hot water in the new van and reading old posts....

What brushes do you use with hot? Just checked gardiners website; my favourite 35 extreme is not suitable and no other 35cm option.

Anyone went back to using cold only in new van after years of uisng hot previously? Thanks

What brushes do you use with hot? Just checked gardiners website; my favourite 35 extreme is not suitable and no other 35cm option.

Anyone went back to using cold only in new van after years of uisng hot previously? Thanks
We use hot all the time and use the stiff supreame brushes I have just bought an extream stiff sill and normal extream to try as it says they are ok up to 75 degrees and @dazmond raves about them ???

On the odd occasion we use hot we put on a 35cm Ultimate Stiff Brush. You will notice the weight difference though. @Den , with his poorly little finger, will have probably found a lighter one though.
With hot (60 degree in tank) 45 degree brush  I'm currently use medium soft extreme sill. 

I do believe Gardiner will be bringing out a 35 extreme sill not sure which versions in the near future @Alex Gardiner if you need a tester lol. 

I’ve just changed back to cold only. Thought I’d give it a try for a week to see if it had much affect on my speed and quality of work. Nearly a month in and I don’t think I’ll go back to using it all the time. I did a restoration clean the other day and - again - didn’t see any difference. I’ll use it in winter purely so I can continue to work in cold weather. Other than that I’m happy to slum it with cold ? oh - and the benefit of not using hot is I’m saving around £100 a month on my electricity bill!

I’ve just changed back to cold only. Thought I’d give it a try for a week to see if it had much affect on my speed and quality of work. Nearly a month in and I don’t think I’ll go back to using it all the time. I did a restoration clean the other day and - again - didn’t see any difference. I’ll use it in winter purely so I can continue to work in cold weather. Other than that I’m happy to slum it with cold ? oh - and the benefit of not using hot is I’m saving around £100 a month on my electricity bill!
That's exactly what we do, winter, filthy FSG's / first cleans. 

PS you've got no chance of working with @Pjj now ?

I’m enjoying it at the moment purely because of the cold weather warm hands and hose management can’t see me using it even the weather breaks though. 

With hot (60 degree in tank) 45 degree brush  I'm currently use medium soft extreme sill. 

I do believe Gardiner will be bringing out a 35 extreme sill not sure which versions in the near future @Alex Gardiner if you need a tester lol. 
We hope to have the Xtreme Sill 35cm in stock by the beginning of April. Initially there will be a Single Trim Flocked and a DuPont TaperTec Hybrid version.

We hope to have the Xtreme Sill 35cm in stock by the beginning of April. Initially there will be a Single Trim Flocked and a DuPont TaperTec Hybrid version.
Are we able to put our email in for an alert when you get them in? I just bought a DuPont 35cm but was looking for- and meant to email to ask- if you were going to do a DuPont sill version. 

Hi i brought a very expensive hot water system 2 years ago after a few weeks use i had come to the conclusion i had wasted my money as far as clean faster or doing a better job .I have been a window cleaner for over 30 years and apart from being a really expensive pair of gloves in the winter it had 0 effect as far as being faster or doing a better job .

I have been using hot water for only a few weeks and to be honest apart from hoses/pole being nice a warm during the winter not wearing gloves and a more supple hose to work with,  the only other thing I have noticed is snail trails dissolve easier.

my hot system only costs £50 all in And for the extra approx £3 a day to run when needed for the luxury to the above in cold weather is worth in my opinion but not the thousand of pounds that some members have paid for the diesel alternative that’s my personal thoughts. 

I have been using hot water for only a few weeks and to be honest apart from hoses/pole being nice a warm during the winter not wearing gloves and a more supple hose to work with,  the only other thing I have noticed is snail trails dissolve easier.

my hot system only costs £50 all in And for the extra approx £3 a day to run when needed for the luxury to the above in cold weather is worth in my opinion but not the thousand of pounds that some members have paid for the diesel alternative that’s my personal thoughts. 
Its good advertising on your website and van. You don't need to use hot water in the summer.

Latest Posts

Back