Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any female window cleaners on here?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

At no point am I saying a woman couldn’t do the job. What I am saying is the average man would find the job easier than the average woman.

Yes stamina is important, however strength definitely comes into play. If you’re finding it easy to use the pole as opposed to slightly difficult, that will effect a person after a hard shift 
Women have the same ability to improve strength and stamina that men have, obviously it depends on the individual person, but they will adjust all the same as a man would to the demand of the job. If they are applying for the job, they have considered the physical demands of the job, a will likely have a good level of fitness.

You can't say all men are stronger than woman, that's stereotyping and not true, which is why its should be on the person's ability to do the job not there sex. 

There are plenty of jobs that are more physically demanding than window cleaning being performed by women all over the country. No reason what so ever they shouldn't get the same consideration for the job of window cleaning.

They did it during the war with wooden ladders and a shammy, and there shoulder bore the weight just fine.

images (1).jpeg

Women have the same ability to improve strength and stamina that men have, obviously it depends on the individual person, but they will adjust all the same as a man would to the demand of the job. If they are applying for the job, they have considered the physical demands of the job, a will likely have a good level of fitness.

You can't say all men are stronger than woman, that's stereotyping and not true, which is why its should be on the person's ability to do the job not there sex. 

There are plenty of jobs that are more physically demanding than window cleaning being performed by women all over the country. No reason what so ever they shouldn't get the same consideration for the job of window cleaning.

They did it during the war with wooden ladders and a shammy, and there shoulder bore the weight just fine.

View attachment 25471
Oh FFS!! I haven’t at any point said all men are stronger than women. Read the topic through properly before you comment 

Last edited by a moderator:
My original post was to hopefully hear from female cleaners not find out the opinion of female vs male window cleaners. 

I just wanted some input from female cleaners. My partner has given me some feedback and it sounds like it can be worked around given time.

Her main issue is strength, so she mentioned no ladders for access. I said it would come with time but it’s a guess at bet.  

I’m not going to take her money and wing it as that’s not how I work.  

I would love a trial but that’s going to cost her a few thousand to buy a franchise and actually quit her job. 

You legally can't take someone's sex into the equation when deciding if they are suited to a role. Considering there sex, sexuality, sexual identity, religion, ethnicity, in any way is discrimination.

An employee has to, of course, be able to do the job, male or female.

As long as the jobs physical demands are explained, in most cases the potentially employee won't apply for jobs they know won't be suited for.

A trial period should be used to give the employee a chance to get used to the job, and give the employer an opportunity to see if they are able to do the job to a reasonable standard.

The job itself should have reasonable expectations, that most people (male or female) would be capable of carrying out and if that's not the case maybe consider reviewing how much your trying to get out of your staff, and look to make the job physically less demanding. Better pricing, smaller targets, lighter tools and equipment, rest breaks, sharing the load of the heavy work between staff etc.
Mate I think the problem here is she’s won’t be a employee she will be a franchisee. Now, I’m sure Damo is happy to take her payment and set her up. However, he’s obviously worried about overselling it and her not getting out of it what was considered ‘promised’. I feel this is decent on his part. He isn’t trying not to take her on, he just doesn’t want to disappoint and wanted help gauging if he could offer her the same returns as he offers others. 

Mate I think the problem here is she’s won’t be a employee she will be a franchisee. Now, I’m sure Damo is happy to take her payment and set her up. However, he’s obviously worried about overselling it and her not getting out of it what was considered ‘promised’. I feel this is decent on his part. He isn’t trying not to take her on, he just doesn’t want to disappoint and wanted help gauging if he could offer her the same returns as he offers others. 

I would say give her a trial week or two working for him, to gauge for herself if she will enjoy the job and be able to meet the demands. 

But there can't be any suggestion its because she is a woman, or he could land himself in bother.

He shouldn't leave himself open to a potential allegation of discrimination, discrimination can be towards a customer i.e. franchisee as well as an employee.

I get he also means well by the way, I don't think for a second he hasn't given her fair consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh FFS!! I haven’t at any point said all men are stronger than women. Read the topic through properly before you comment 
I read through the comments. I am not having a go. 

You were making the point that on average most men will be stronger than women.

This though process leads to stereotyping, for example,

"Most young ones have no common sense" or

"Old people can't keep up with young ones, there too slow" or

"Woman are weak"

All discrimatory remarks, and can land an employer in hot water.

All I am saying is sex really shouldn't be an issue, only whether or not the indivual will be able to do the job.

Exactly ?

When I meet with anyone I ask them what the need to earn after EVERYTHING has been paid out. If the figures don’t work then I wouldn’t take them on. 

If she’s earning X amount of pounds now and quits her job because I say she can earn X amount of pounds then doesn’t hit targets then who’s she going to blame.

Exactly ?

When I meet with anyone I ask them what the need to earn after EVERYTHING has been paid out. If the figures don’t work then I wouldn’t take them on. 

If she’s earning X amount of pounds now and quits her job because I say she can earn X amount of pounds then doesn’t hit targets then who’s she going to blame.

You might be over thinking it on her behalf. You can prove what your Franchisees earn so it's up to her to decide if she is capable of doing what "the men" do. If she can't there is no comeback on you as long as you reiterate it's a very tiring physical job.

My wife helps me. She’s fairly fit and healthy. 
She was no different to most windows cleaners. 
The first time , she’d had it by lunchtime. 
But soon got used to it , and can work all day now. 
She only does the downstairs  though, and only works 2 days a week. 

My wife helps me. She’s fairly fit and healthy. 
She was no different to most windows cleaners. 
The first time , she’d had it by lunchtime. 
But soon got used to it , and can work all day now. 
She only does the downstairs  though, and only works 2 days a week. 
Begs the question though. Could she handle a solo franchise if put to it? Saying that, I have met and kayaked with some remarkable women, some of the toughest and most capable you wouldn't pick out of a crowd as being anything special. 

Hard to know without a proper trial. I think as long as this is explained properly to the prospect and the reality is not sugar coated, a weeks trial will tell a lot to both parties and the results would need to be agreed to be accepted by the prospect in advance, I'd say.

Begs the question though. Could she handle a solo franchise if put to it? Saying that, I have met and kayaked with some remarkable women, some of the toughest and most capable you wouldn't pick out of a crowd as being anything special. 

Hard to know without a proper trial. I think as long as this is explained properly to the prospect and the reality is not sugar coated, a weeks trial will tell a lot to both parties and the results would need to be agreed to be accepted by the prospect in advance, I'd say.
Yes she could I think. Although she finds it spirit crushing dull. 
I’d imagine most people, male and female would find 7 hrs a day ,5 days a week very arduous to start with until they built up the required strength and stamina. 
There are A pair of female window cleaners in my area. They are very successful at getting work, but rather slow. 

Hi @Damo

I’m a new female Windy - I only started 3 weeks ago & loving it so far! I was relatively active anyway & enjoy keeping fit, so finishing work & feeling like I’ve had a good workout is a bonus! 

Thanks to everyone who have provided me with advice so far, this forum is awesome & your wisdom much appreciated. 

I’m using an XLine cold water system with SLX Gardiner poles & an electric reel. I’m building up my clients at a steady pace too - so I agree with prior advice on this feed, that it’s the same as anyone, just be sensible & build up at a pace that works for you. I did a fascia & soffit clean the other day & was aching lots after that but a bit of Ibruprofen & rest worked a treat! 

I resigned as an Assistant Headteacher this summer, after 17 years in education, working 11-12 hour days regularly & struggling to find time to fit my fitness in. So really enjoying my career change so far! Hope it continues in the colder weather! 

Good on you @Damo for encouraging females into the profession! ????‍♀️ Watch out guys! ?

Thanks for the reply. 

I’m meeting her and her gf next week and will see what she thinks. 

It may not even get past the first meeting but fingers crossed.  

I did a fascia & soffit clean the other day & was aching lots after that but a bit of Ibruprofen & rest worked a treat! 

I resigned as an Assistant Headteacher this summer, after 17 years in education, working 11-12 hour days regularly & struggling to find time to fit my fitness in. So really enjoying my career change so far! Hope it continues in the colder weather! 
As a fellow noob, can I just say well done. I keep ducking gfs cleans as I don't think my arms are up to it yet (14 weeks in). I have never been fit and have a small frame (bigish beer belly) and I was fine for a while then last week my forearms have been aching at the end of the day so I suppose that's progress ? 

Always great to hear how people are getting on.

Thanks for the reply. 

I’m meeting her and her gf next week and will see what she thinks. 

It may not even get past the first meeting but fingers crossed.  
Let us know how you all get on. 

You legally can't take someone's sex into the equation when deciding if they are suited to a role. Considering there sex, sexuality, sexual identity, religion, ethnicity, in any way is discrimination.

An employee has to, of course, be able to do the job, male or female.

As long as the jobs physical demands are explained, in most cases the potentially employee won't apply for jobs they know won't be suited for.

A trial period should be used to give the employee a chance to get used to the job, and give the employer an opportunity to see if they are able to do the job to a reasonable standard.

The job itself should have reasonable expectations, that most people (male or female) would be capable of carrying out and if that's not the case maybe consider reviewing how much your trying to get out of your staff, and look to make the job physically less demanding. Better pricing, smaller targets, lighter tools and equipment, rest breaks, sharing the load of the heavy work between staff etc.
You are right in what you are saying , but it’s difficult for women to to certain jobs due to upper body strength we have had quite a few women apply for the fire service but they cannot pass  the strength tests , this isn’t discrimination just a fact that they cannot do the required lifting due to there physiological make up , we also get quite a few guys that also cannot do it , if they cannot lass the tests then they don’t get the job it’s nothing to do  with male/ female sex . 

Been talking to a female window cleaner who is a friend who has had a few bad experiences with a couple of male window cleaners in her area trying to pinch her work and making semi threatening comments, and nosing in her van and claiming that she works for them . Come on guys this isn’t acceptable and trying to bully a woman is bang out of order leave her alone and let her run her business and you concentrate  on your work there is plenty to go round . Don’t know if this would affect a female franchise or not as I assume the franchiser should keep an eye on what’s going on . 

Hi @Damo

I’m a new female Windy - I only started 3 weeks ago & loving it so far! I was relatively active anyway & enjoy keeping fit, so finishing work & feeling like I’ve had a good workout is a bonus! 

Thanks to everyone who have provided me with advice so far, this forum is awesome & your wisdom much appreciated. 

I’m using an XLine cold water system with SLX Gardiner poles & an electric reel. I’m building up my clients at a steady pace too - so I agree with prior advice on this feed, that it’s the same as anyone, just be sensible & build up at a pace that works for you. I did a fascia & soffit clean the other day & was aching lots after that but a bit of Ibruprofen & rest worked a treat! 

Good on you @Damo for encouraging females into the profession! ????‍♀️ Watch out guys! ?
If were assistant head teacher, then you are clearly a driven person with the will to succeed and that's what is needed to make a business and for it to continue to be successful for years to come, well done to you for making the leap of faith. 

Back