Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any other jobs like window cleaning?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tango

Hi guys.. i'm kinda looking at my options and was wondering if there is anything else like WC that is self employed on a flexible basis that anyone can think of?

Spotless water has closed the filling station in my area. That's left me in a pickle. Their next nearest filling point is 35 mins away and costs me a tenner in petrol each time. I have 6 barrels plus the back pack and the car is an auto so it's thirsty just going to fill up (plus health woes means the longer i drive the more physical pain i suffer). That and only just breaking even with the extra fuel on top is possibly going to finish me. I've also had a few other setbacks just lately along with custys messing about.. - another cancellation on the doorstep on Tuesday - literally had the text the night before (and an earlier reminder on saturday) and then claimed they'd forgotten i was coming. Now the missus also expects me not only to fit around her and our son but also her sister, her brother and other things that have become problematic since the sister was hospitalised. There's been other stuff too...

Anyway enough of my moaning, i need to re-evaluate my position as despite WC being far easier going than most jobs it seems stacked against me at the moment. Any ideas for other self employed avenues similar to window cleaning? - own hours, own rates, no qualifications etc.. i know it's probably a daft question seeing as we've all turned to WC lol but i thought i'd ask..

cheers,

Tango

(and no.. this doesn't mean i'm definitely giving up on WC, i'm just looking at options - no need to crack open the booze and celebrate just yet lol)

Sorry to hear things aren’t going well Tango. Maybe consider other add-one like gutters, soft washing, power washing etc also carpet cleaning. I do a bit of chimney sweeping as a side line; maybe look at this as it is good money, although fairly seasonal. Gardening is something I get asked for a fair bit, although I don’t do it. That would be a flexible job I would think as it tends to be that customers book you in for a certain amount of hours per week, and you rock up when you can and do those hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying pushing add on's also I would get some more container's and cheap 200ltr water butt to store more water and do less run's as for working around family even after almost 20 years my wife still thinks I can knock off early to work around something she needs to do

Dog walking seems to be a big thing , 10r an hour per dog , think you can take 3/4 with you at each time 
My wife set up her dog walking business a few years ago as it was ideal when the kids were growing up and did hours to suit,she only works to a 2 mile radius as its like this job where you don't earn while your driving. She does a maximum of 4 dogs and charges £6 for half hour or £10 per hour. Overheads are £160 p.a.for Public liability insurance. And that's about it.

Useful add on is dog boarding at £20 per day.

But, enough of all that, Is it not worth investing in making your own water and sticking with window cleaning? You're this far in and I'm sure you can make a success of it.

There are 1001 different self employed jobs out there. I have tried several business ideas and had family talk me out of window cleaning on a couple of occasions. I can confidently tell you I have never found a business idea like this that works so well. I'm not one to sit and boast on here about what you can earn but plenty do so you know the money is there. I had the benefit that the wife supported me the entire way despite thinking I was crazy. I think above all else you need to sit down and talk this out with your family. If you're being expected to work around people you will never make it a successful business, at least not full time. You need to remember why you started. When you're up to your ass in alligators it's difficult to remember you actually came to drain the swamp!

There is a ton of options out there. But how will any other job change your circumstances.

Is getting pure water is the only thing setting you back?

I really don't know what I would do if I wasn't cleaning windows. Its been my life since I was 22. But I have thought about it.

There is so many "self employed" jobs now with uber, uber eats, deliveroo, taxi deivers etc. But these things are just not self employed in my view. I like the be your own boss, set your own prices, working hours etc. 

There is, grass cutting, gardening, bin cleaning, domestic cleaning, mobile valeting, dog walking. I have a pal who has a dog waste removal service. All have frequency like window cleaning. 

All have there own set of obsticles. Its really what suits you best.

I have tried several business ideas and had family talk me out of window cleaning on a couple of occasions.

Exactly the same happened to me. My old window cleaner was retiring and I wanted to buy his round but my mum was having none of it. Then a few years later the new windy stopped cleaning my area. I decided to clean mine and my neighbour and it just grew from there. I have now found its better not to tell anyone about a business venture and just get on with it. ?

Hi guys.. i'm kinda looking at my options and was wondering if there is anything else like WC that is self employed on a flexible basis that anyone can think of?

Spotless water has closed the filling station in my area. That's left me in a pickle. Their next nearest filling point is 35 mins away and costs me a tenner in petrol each time. I have 6 barrels plus the back pack and the car is an auto so it's thirsty just going to fill up (plus health woes means the longer i drive the more physical pain i suffer). That and only just breaking even with the extra fuel on top is possibly going to finish me. I've also had a few other setbacks just lately along with custys messing about.. - another cancellation on the doorstep on Tuesday - literally had the text the night before (and an earlier reminder on saturday) and then claimed they'd forgotten i was coming. Now the missus also expects me not only to fit around her and our son but also her sister, her brother and other things that have become problematic since the sister was hospitalised. There's been other stuff too...

Anyway enough of my moaning, i need to re-evaluate my position as despite WC being far easier going than most jobs it seems stacked against me at the moment. Any ideas for other self employed avenues similar to window cleaning? - own hours, own rates, no qualifications etc.. i know it's probably a daft question seeing as we've all turned to WC lol but i thought i'd ask..

cheers,

Tango

(and no.. this doesn't mean i'm definitely giving up on WC, i'm just looking at options - no need to crack open the booze and celebrate just yet lol)
I’m not surprised they canceled the clean New Year’s Eve ,

Exactly the same happened to me. My old window cleaner was retiring and I wanted to buy his round but my mum was having none of it. Then a few years later the new windy stopped cleaning my area. I decided to clean mine and my neighbour and it just grew from there. I have now found its better not to tell anyone about a business venture and just get on with it. ?
Does ya mum still make ya bed aswell?

Dog walking seems to be a big thing , 10r an hour per dog , think you can take 3/4 with you at each time 
My friend does this and also has a big enclosed field she rents out per the hour to dog walkers. She makes 500 a week from this field, and all they have to do is cut the grass occasionally 

People pay for this safe area to walk animals, pups, group walks etc. 

Does ya mum still make ya bed aswell?

Just at weekends, she is what we call a control freak, my brothers and sister don't let her get involved in anything or she takes over. Every family usually has one. Anyway, my New Year Tip is to read a book called "The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod" I think its less than a tenner and I'm nearly finished it. The best tenner anyone will spend this year. ?

I forgot about this one which is really big in Japan. They call it a Budy service but here we call it a Befriender service. My old Aunti gets one every week in the care home it costs her £16 an hour and she loves it. The befriender also offers to take her out for a drive in her car if she wants to. All you need to be is a good story teller and I should probably be one with the stories I tell folk on the forum. ?

I hope you get sorted out ok , but if you cannot make a successful go of window cleaning which is the easiest job out there then I doubt you will make a go of anything else self employed, please don’t take offence at what I have said ,I know it’s hard starting up , just produce your own water it’s not difficult and once up and running you will be fine , working from a car is never going to be as easy and speedy as a van and fixed system , I think you really need to sit down and decide what you really want maybe you would be better suited being an employee rather than running your own buisness?. Some arnt cut out to do be there own boss it takes determination, will power and a get up and go attitude, I don’t know you and not saying you haven’t got what’s needed but I think you do need to look at all avenues and then make the right decision for you and your circumstances, hope you are able to sort things out Ime sure you could make a successful go of window cleaning just stick with it for a while would be my advice , I wouldn’t want to rely on any 3 rd party’s for the success of my Buisness that’s why I avoid the software programs, co cardless ,and spotless etc 

I forgot about this one which is really big in Japan. They call it a Budy service but here we call it a Befriender service. My old Aunti gets one every week in the care home it costs her £16 an hour and she loves it. The befriender also offers to take her out for a drive in her car if she wants to. All you need to be is a good story teller and I should probably be one with the stories I tell folk on the forum. ?
You’ve put my name on something tango has wrote ?

It’s called being a carer wher I’m from sunny north east of England 

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend does this and also has a big enclosed field she rents out per the hour to dog walkers. She makes 500 a week from this field, and all they have to do is cut the grass occasionally 

People pay for this safe area to walk animals, pups, group walks etc. 
maybe we are in the wrong game ? she should invest in a horse to cut the grass ?

cheers,

Tango

If I couldn’t access pure water for whatever reason I would still Clean windows traditionally 

Latest Posts

Back