Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any people changed their mind

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Do you guys think customers will be ok with me aiming to come back June 1st, surely they will be ok until then? Just don’t want to lose customers but I’d rather go back then as things would of calmed down a lot.
Im aiming for 18th May IF there is a continued decline in deaths and published cases & government relax measures at the next announcment in 2.5weeks time.

If they dont then ill reassess depending on the numbers.

ive not had any time off at all.....out of 289 scheduled jobs since the lockdown was announced on 23rd march ive had....

6 skipped jobs at the customers request

3  jobs i skipped myself

1 suspended job until june

8 new jobs picked up(3 x add ons and 5 regular WC jobs)

all the rest were cleaned without issue...

This is my 3rd week back only had one job skip so far some others I have skipped because of custy's health and some of age and frailty, did a few oldies yesterday and they all left the money on the doorstep or window sill out the back, people of all ages have been pleased to see me back, 

Pretty sure I had a person videoing me yesterday next door neighbour of a job I saw someone out the corner of my eye and saw her with her phone pointing in my direction and heard her say can you see she must have been chatting to someone at the same time as soon as I turned and looked she turned on her heel ? people need to read the government guidance and not just go off what is said on tv or badly worded announcements/ads on the radio which is aimed at all the idiot's who clearly don't give toss 

This is my 3rd week back only had one job skip so far some others I have skipped because of custy's health and some of age and frailty, did a few oldies yesterday and they all left the money on the doorstep or window sill out the back, people of all ages have been pleased to see me back, 

Pretty sure I had a person videoing me yesterday next door neighbour of a job I saw someone out the corner of my eye and saw her with her phone pointing in my direction and heard her say can you see she must have been chatting to someone at the same time as soon as I turned and looked she turned on her heel ? people need to read the government guidance and not just go off what is said on tv or badly worded announcements/ads on the radio which is aimed at all the idiot's who clearly don't give toss 
ive also cleaned a few of my very elderly customers windows for free,no charge whatsoever.......i had a woman take a photo of my van the other day and thought she might want a window cleaner,no call yet though......maybe shes reporting me to the "authorities"...?

I would have given her a wave and smile ???

I'm getting more and more residential customers asking if I'm working, telling them 2nd week in May, 1st week is commercial, and they're all happy to wait. This will be first clean since end of Feb for my residential customers.

I'm getting more and more residential customers asking if I'm working, telling them 2nd week in May, 1st week is commercial, and they're all happy to wait. This will be first clean since end of Feb for my residential customers.
I think everyone's windows will be more than ready for cleaning right now, but we all do what we feel we need to and what is the right thing for each of us individually, I have spoken to a a good number of people even a nurse this morning who said what I was doing was totally fine with social distancing and she was aware of the steps I was taking spraying gate latches and so on, my custys know I ain't daft and I am been cautious and considerate in my working practices 

One of my last customers to get round to cleaning is tomorrow.  I left her till last as she is the most vulnerable out of mine.  I rang her and it turns out she had a fall outside two weeks ago and got a bad bash to the head.  A kind neighbour is walking the dog everyday for her.  Now I know it needs to be done but I bet the chance of infection is far higher from the neighbour than me cleaning the windows once every 8 weeks.  

I think we over think the risks coming from us as window cleaners.  They seem to get far more risk of infection from many many other sources.  So long as we don't have a brew, keep our distance and don't post anything to them then I would think the risk is absolutely minimal but the benefit to them seeing their window cleaner must be far greater.  Some of these old people will not live much longer, how sad would it be if they lived the rest of their lives without any contact.  

Could not believe what i saw today.

I was delivering shopping to a vulnerable customer that lives on an estate of bungalows 99% of which are lived in by pensioners.

A local windy was doing an inside clean on one of their neighbours!!

This is the idiocy we have to deal with in Norfolk!

One of my last customers to get round to cleaning is tomorrow.  I left her till last as she is the most vulnerable out of mine.  I rang her and it turns out she had a fall outside two weeks ago and got a bad bash to the head.  A kind neighbour is walking the dog everyday for her.  Now I know it needs to be done but I bet the chance of infection is far higher from the neighbour than me cleaning the windows once every 8 weeks.  

I think we over think the risks coming from us as window cleaners.  They seem to get far more risk of infection from many many other sources.  So long as we don't have a brew, keep our distance and don't post anything to them then I would think the risk is absolutely minimal but the benefit to them seeing their window cleaner must be far greater.  Some of these old people will not live much longer, how sad would it be if they lived the rest of their lives without any contact.  
Thats a very good point. Not intending to sound insensitive, but a lot of those dying would have died in the next year maybe, and those who it may be their last year or two, are they expected to spend maybe their last year of life alone??? unable to make peace with their nearest and dearest??? A lot of them were lonely anyway, and this will be the cr@ppy icing on the cake.

ive also cleaned a few of my very elderly customers windows for free,no charge whatsoever.......i had a woman take a photo of my van the other day and thought she might want a window cleaner,no call yet though......maybe shes reporting me to the "authorities"...?
Why would you clean pensioners windows fretof charge. There income hasn’t dropped at all . In fact they have been the most generous lately . Cos there not going out and spending owt. 

.i had a woman take a photo of my van the other day and thought she might want a window cleaner,no call yet though......maybe shes reporting me to the "authorities"...?
I had someone do that the other week, I had my back to her and she shouted up to say she was taking a photo of my van and was going to ring me for a quote still no phone call from anyone, but people usually contact me via fb and i have turned down quite a few jobs lately and passed them on to a mate. 

Well I'm not sure how to feel now , today was my first day back I have printed a slip saying I'm back to work I won't come in social distancing etc etc

My plan was to post these to all customers this morning then start at the beginning and get cleaning .

8th customer i get too I park up and as I do so does an ambulance , I walk up the steps to see wife sat next to husband in recovery position and the ambulance is for him ..... I feel sick and actually really upset .

I felt like if I was offering the customers the chance to opt out and following social distance guidelines then it wouldn't bother me working but I'm not sure I can in good consciouns now. 

I want to go to work and am seeing and hearing about loads of windows out working and I felt now was a fair time to return but this has really hit me hard , 

Can I ask what you guys think ? 

TIA

Well I'm not sure how to feel now , today was my first day back I have printed a slip saying I'm back to work I won't come in social distancing etc etc

My plan was to post these to all customers this morning then start at the beginning and get cleaning .

8th customer i get too I park up and as I do so does an ambulance , I walk up the steps to see wife sat next to husband in recovery position and the ambulance is for him ..... I feel sick and actually really upset .

I felt like if I was offering the customers the chance to opt out and following social distance guidelines then it wouldn't bother me working but I'm not sure I can in good consciouns now. 

I want to go to work and am seeing and hearing about loads of windows out working and I felt now was a fair time to return but this has really hit me hard , 

TIA
That's really sad, Ash. I don't know what to suggest. I'm hoping to go back to work next week or soon after. I'm finding it difficult being at home for the past month.

There seems to be no end in sight to this crisis. We're going to have to face trying to get back to as near normal as possible at some point or the economy will collapse.

This is an unknown quantity. They might develop a vaccine or cure but what if they can't? What if it keeps spreading or mutating around treatments faster than the scientists can keep up with it?

I try to be positive in life, but this is a serious challenge.

Good luck whatever you decide.

TIA
Not a good start back mate tbf and after finding one of my customers sprawled out a few months ago i knkw how you feel.

Im going back on 11th May unless the gov announcment on the 7th is horrendous, but tbf i think (fingers crossed) there will be some relaxation on restrictions.

TIA
By the sounds of it the old boy has had a stroke or heart attack and not the dreaded virus. Yesterday afternoon an ambulance pulled up 2 doors up from me and my neighbour of 25 years was took into hospital. He had stents put in about 10 years ago and had had a bad turn. These things happen and whilst not nice to witness but unfortunately is life.

If this was corona related then I would have to think twice but as it appears, to me, nothing to do with the current crisis I'd carry on the way you started back.

TIA
What happened hear isn’t your fault it’s just one of those things I have been back now three weeks and done a few hundred customers and not had a single complaint every customer has been over the moon to see me , just keep going , obviously if there are ones in the garden or no parking available just leave them but Ime sure 99% will be happy you are there , if ones see me coming up the path  I just ask are you ok with me doing the windows just to be polite , I doubt you will have a problem .i would just carry on as normal by doing the work that’s due ,

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your replies, I took abit of time to have a think and called some family for a whine . I decided at the least to post the leaflets and then play it by ear knowing I'd made contact and could always say I'd re considered if I decided to stop again. On my way round I ended up speaking to 3 or 4 of the next 10 customers I went too and all of them were happy to see me and encouraging me to be out working also saw another windy who has been out the whole time everyone was positive.  I have just put it down to really poor timing and bad luck. Iv made a start with the windows now and am pleased Iv been out and met a few of my customers on the way round .

Back