Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Anyone use a temp hot water system in this freezing weather?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thinking about fitting a tube heater in van cheap to run and very low energy use . But if its going to be seriously cold then I just do bungalows trad don't want to leave water on paths want to keep my customers in one bit .

I bought one of those a while back to run my 1500 watt gutter vac. The cable is so small and 'flimsy' I'm not sure I would be happy running 13amps through it for any extended period of time. If I did I would certainly unwind the cable fully from the drum and lay it out in straight lengths on the floor.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2014/Electric_Cable_Reel_Alert/

In my power tool days I've seen a cable drum much worse than they have photos of. This cable was used without an RCD. The owner sent it in under warranty expecting a replacement FOC.

I have a 25 meter 16 amp hookup cable. Its much thicker in comparison (50% thicker) and I would be happy using this but again, only uncoiled. The cables inside are also much thicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 17th Edition course it said one can use 1.5mm as a spur for a socket as long as it is only one. I have seen 1mm extensions coming from abroad which overheat and begin to burn. The trading standards guy was in the station demonstrating it when he plugged in a kettle.

I bought one of those a while back to run my 1500 watt gutter vac. The cable is so small and 'flimsy' I'm not sure I would be happy running 13amps through it for any extended period of time. If I did I would certainly unwind the cable fully from the drum and lay it out in straight lengths on the floor.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Safety_Alerts/2014/Electric_Cable_Reel_Alert/

In my power tool days I've seen a cable drum much worse than they have photos of. This cable was used without an RCD. The owner sent it in under warranty expecting a replacement FOC.

I have a 25 meter 16 amp hookup cable. Its much thicker in comparison (50% thicker) and I would be happy using this but again, only uncoiled. The cables inside are also much thicker.

Could you post a link to a similar extension cable that you use?

My external sockets have an rcd which I’m very happy with...

Similiar to this https://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-13a-2g-rcd-switched-socket/91095?tc=DA1&ds_kid=92700019938272135&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1248154&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6ur8hNGX4AIVQ7DtCh201gjTEAQYAyABEgKgu_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's a good start having an RCD on your wall socket.

I bought this one

https://www.ropersleisure.co.uk/shop/electrical/12v-240v-spares/products/25mtr-mains-lead.html

for connecting the van up to the house electrics. This is to run a leisure battery charger, a backpack charger and an 800 watt heater. I don't have an electric element in my tank and it wouldn't be a route I would rush into. But that's me. I would always exaggerate the potential of things that could go wrong and make decisions based on those.

That's a good start having an RCD on your wall socket.

I bought this one

https://www.ropersleisure.co.uk/shop/electrical/12v-240v-spares/products/25mtr-mains-lead.html

for connecting the van up to the house electrics. This is to run a leisure battery charger, a backpack charger and an 800 watt heater. I don't have an electric element in my tank and it wouldn't be a route I would rush into. But that's me. I would always exaggerate the potential of things that could go wrong and make decisions based on those.

110v? Stupid word count is doing my head in

On my 17th Edition course it said one can use 1.5mm as a spur for a socket as long as it is only one. I have seen 1mm extensions coming from abroad which overheat and begin to burn. The trading standards guy was in the station demonstrating it when he plugged in a kettle.

This rating of cables has become a technical minefield. Just take a look at how the carrying amperage of the same size cable can change depending on the cables surrounding environment.

https://www.stroma.com/news/current-carrying-capacity-for-cables

Years ago in Africa we just had one cable that was sold for all electrical extension leads of 15amp, 2.0mm2 or 14 gauge. If you had a welder then you got a bigger cable, period.

I'm very much old school. The older electricians on their forums still debate wire sizes and current ratings and some aren't in agreement with how the industry is moving forward. The concern I always have is that on a forum such as this any advise has to be 100% correct.

If I recommended something and someone followed it and ended up electroculting themselves, then I carry the responsibility of their death due to my advice.  Many years ago there was a case involving a Bosch drilling machine. Bosch sold replacement cables that were not drill specific. This DIYer replaced the cable of his drill and in doing so cut the cable to suit. But when assembling his drill he had trapped the wire in the housing handle and pierced the cable with one of the retaining screws. It meant that the screw was 'live' and he electrocuted himself.

Bosch was held responsible for this even although they maintained that it was the responsibility of the repairer to ensure that the drill was correctly repaired. I wasn't involved in this but a repair bulletin was circulated amongst all after sale service managers in Bosch's worldwide service departments warning us of the repercussions. When giving advise we have to be so careful that the advise can't be applied incorrectly.

Getting back to the Screwfix cable drum.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-hdct4513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-45m-cable-reel-240v/47295?tc=MT2&ds_kid=92700038547306716&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbids4-W4AIVSrDtCh1cnQ_vEAQYASABEgKf2fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

If someone asked if this would be suitable to run their gutter vac on my answer would be; "it all depends." Then I would have to clarify this. Yes, I would and do run my 1500 watt gutter vac on this drum, but I wouldn't run a large 3 motored gutter vac on it and I wouldn't advise anyone else to. This doesn't mean that it can't be used. For example, if the cable is fully unwound and lying on the cold ground then it will carry more load, but that same cable drum sitting in the boiling heat of Africa or middle America in mid summer won't.

What about heating on demand with gas. No problem, but you need to have a properly secured gas tank with outside venting and a exhaust vent through the roof. Yet we see people saying that's its fine to vent inside the van but just leave a door open. IMHO we can't offer that advise on a forum.

This rating of cables has become a technical minefield. Just take a look at how the carrying amperage of the same size cable can change depending on the cables surrounding environment.

https://www.stroma.com/news/current-carrying-capacity-for-cables

Years ago in Africa we just had one cable that was sold for all electrical extension leads of 15amp, 2.0mm2 or 14 gauge. If you had a welder then you got a bigger cable, period.

I'm very much old school. The older electricians on their forums still debate wire sizes and current ratings and some aren't in agreement with how the industry is moving forward. The concern I always have is that on a forum such as this any advise has to be 100% correct.

If I recommended something and someone followed it and ended up electroculting themselves, then I carry the responsibility of their death due to my advice.  Many years ago there was a case involving a Bosch drilling machine. Bosch sold replacement cables that were not drill specific. This DIYer replaced the cable of his drill and in doing so cut the cable to suit. But when assembling his drill he had trapped the wire in the housing handle and pierced the cable with one of the retaining screws. It meant that the screw was 'live' and he electrocuted himself.

Bosch was held responsible for this even although they maintained that it was the responsibility of the repairer to ensure that the drill was correctly repaired. I wasn't involved in this but a repair bulletin was circulated amongst all after sale service managers in Bosch's worldwide service departments warning us of the repercussions. When giving advise we have to be so careful that the advise can't be applied incorrectly.

Getting back to the Screwfix cable drum.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-hdct4513bq-4-xd-13a-4-gang-45m-cable-reel-240v/47295?tc=MT2&ds_kid=92700038547306716&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249401&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgbids4-W4AIVSrDtCh1cnQ_vEAQYASABEgKf2fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#product_additional_details_container

If someone asked if this would be suitable to run their gutter vac on my answer would be; "it all depends." Then I would have to clarify this. Yes, I would and do run my 1500 watt gutter vac on this drum, but I wouldn't run a large 3 motored gutter vac on it and I wouldn't advise anyone else to. This doesn't mean that it can't be used. For example, if the cable is fully unwound and lying on the cold ground then it will carry more load, but that same cable drum sitting in the boiling heat of Africa or middle America in mid summer won't.

What about heating on demand with gas. No problem, but you need to have a properly secured gas tank with outside venting and a exhaust vent through the roof. Yet we see people saying that's its fine to vent inside the van but just leave a door open. IMHO we can't offer that advise on a forum.
I've looked into the extension cable scenario as I've got a 110v and a 240v gutter vac and to run an extension cable, for any distance from my generator, it appears I require a 32a one.  

I've looked into the extension cable scenario as I've got a 110v and a 240v gutter vac and to run an extension cable, for any distance from my generator, it appears I require a 32a one.  

A 110v vac requires twice the amps a 220v vac does, hence the bigger size cable.

Latest Posts

Back