Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best vans and pics ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mercedes Benz Vito gets my vote. I've had years of super-reliable service from them. I don't know what the payload is. I have a 650ltr flat tank, two operators, two reels, two heavy leisure batteries, a backpack permanently strapped to an alloy sack truck, short double ladder inside, heavy duty tele ladder also inside and a large double ladder on the roof. Lots of other equipment also permanently carried inside. The Vito walks away with it, no problem.

View attachment 20619
Nicehome you have there Davy ? my neighbour as one he loves it, also some 5.0l Merc plus a porsche only ever as German cars.

Thanks PT. 109 CDI. Payload 924 kg from what I can tell. We're running close to our legal limit for sure, I reckon. I must weigh it one day.
Bloody hell thats over 75kg less than my little van, thought that it would have held more TBH.

I got offered a transit custom as few weeks ago for a good price but the payload on that was approx 850 can’t remember exactly but it was terrible payload. 

Bloody hell thats over 75kg less than my little van, thought that it would have held more TBH.

I got offered a transit custom as few weeks ago for a good price but the payload on that was approx 850 can’t remember exactly but it was terrible payload. 
Yeah! Probably a modest enough payload in the scheme of things. But just walks away with everything I ask of it. I've had Vito's for years. I wouldn't think of a different make or model.

Still working out of a car myself, but hired a new-ish shape Transit Connect for a week last year, was lovely, would be nice to get one in the future maybe.

Still working out of a car myself, but hired a new-ish shape Transit Connect for a week last year, was lovely, would be nice to get one in the future maybe.
Set your mind to it mate. Tell yourself "I'm going to make it happen!" You can do it. ??

I have the Vw caddy maxi (ex British Gas one) I can only speak from experience and say it’s been fantastic, first they look absolutely gorgeous imo. Blue is my favourite colour, and after speaking to a British Gas worker he said they’re well looked after. Had mine 4&half years now. It’s a 2010 plate. But I’m looking to trade is in/sell it next year, as I want something slightly bigger & bigger payload. The caddy maxi only has 800kg payload. Another 150-200kg and it would be the perfect van for me. If you do get one, you won’t regret it. 

Hey all thinking of getting another van soon but wondered what the best vans are for realiability and price, I'm a vw fan anyway and currently looking into the ex British gas caddy maxi vans, pics and recommendations greatly appreciated, cheers guys
No van is bad van these days says me who knows nowt about motors ? it's about payload to suit and price you'll only find out if it's been ragged around after you buy it, as for dpf all newer vans have them just buy Catclean and shot it in every 3-6 months I have had my 64 plate combo 2 years now and only had the dpf light come on once last week after not getting around to putting some in when I should of. 

I'm surprised some Vito's have payloads as little as 884 kg. (My Peugeot Partner is 850kg). It seems with these the larger the van, the less the payload with many.

PSA group do diesels for:

Mercedes
Nissan
Peugeot
Renault
Citroen
Ford
and probably soon Vauxhall after the takeover. Theres probably a couple I've missed too!
You missed Volvo, my V50 estate has the same engine as my Peugeot partner.

It irks me when I come to tax the van as it costs £260p.a. wheras Volvo is only £20p.a.??

Hmm that must have been an entry level iteration - the 'modern' versions ('13 onwards) get class leading payloads reviews...one of the reason I went for mine - which is...just shy of 1,400kg (L2H1) - they do a lot options with varying payloads - so a bit of research is need before taking the plunge - but I rate my transit custom ?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-pickups/best/medium-vans-for-payload/  

I have the Vw caddy maxi (ex British Gas one) I can only speak from experience and say it’s been fantastic, first they look absolutely gorgeous imo. Blue is my favourite colour, and after speaking to a British Gas worker he said they’re well looked after. Had mine 4&half years now. It’s a 2010 plate. But I’m looking to trade is in/sell it next year, as I want something slightly bigger & bigger payload. The caddy maxi only has 800kg payload. Another 150-200kg and it would be the perfect van for me. If you do get one, you won’t regret it. 
I used to work for a contractor for British Gas. I was the contractor "pleb" working with a direct employee. We had a BG van. The slightest fault and it was in for repair. So yes! Certainly at that time (twenty years ago) they were very well maintained. I'd expect it's the same now. They don't get the same stop, start wear and tear as say, a postie's van either.

I used to work for a contractor for British Gas. I was the contractor "pleb" working with a direct employee. We had a BG van. The slightest fault and it was in for repair. So yes! Certainly at that time (twenty years ago) they were very well maintained. I'd expect it's the same now. They don't get the same stop, start wear and tear as say, a postie's van either.
Even better now with them all trackered.

No van is bad van these days says me who knows nowt about motors ? it's about payload to suit and price you'll only find out if it's been ragged around after you buy it, as for dpf all newer vans have them just buy Catclean and shot it in every 3-6 months I have had my 64 plate combo 2 years now and only had the dpf light come on once last week after not getting around to putting some in when I should of. 
My mechanic says the same. When It came time to replace my original Mk 1 Vito, I asked him what was the best van. "There all good now Dave", he said. I went on a mission to get another Vito as that one had been so tough and reliable and was like a car to drive.

It's very difficult to recommend a vehicle, as what works out well for one might not work out for someone else. Anyone can be caught with a dud, and there's big money involved. .

Even better now with them all trackered.
Good point. ?

My mechanic says the same. When It came time to replace my original Mk 1 Vito, I asked him what was the best van. "There all good now Dave", he said. I went on a mission to get another Vito as that one had been so tough and reliable and was like a car to drive.

It's very difficult to recommend a vehicle, as what works out well for one might not work out for someone else. Anyone can be caught with a dud, and there's big money involved. .

Good point. ?
I agree with you also, unless you are buying a fairly new or brand new van with all the bells and whistles they look like van drive like a van and are basic with a cheap interior, getting on in my years at 45 yrs old I'd sooner have a cheap van that I spend limited time in on the whole over a working day as I am busy grafting so a bells and whistles van no longer appeals to me, blowing all my spare money on the allotment, I really do sound older than my years ?

I agree with you also, unless you are buying a fairly new or brand new van with all the bells and whistles they look like van drive like a van and are basic with a cheap interior, getting on in my years at 45 yrs old I'd sooner have a cheap van that I spend limited time in on the whole over a working day as I am busy grafting so a bells and whistles van no longer appeals to me, blowing all my spare money on the allotment, I really do sound older than my years ?
Mate! As a very good buddy of mine said to me thirty years ago when I was in my thirties and used to ask his advice on how to do tricky construction jobs I wasn't sure of but he had bags of experience of as a sole worker. "it's no good getting older if we don't get wiser with it."  He's still a great buddy. He's now in his eightees and I'm an old duffer too. I still value that advice. ?

If you want a small van that will hold a 375 litre system then you can't go wrong with a bipper.

I have 2 now and parking is so easy with a small van.

Perfect in built up areas.

15904838748866819828961026023004.jpg

Back