Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Do you get down, annoyed, dissapointed etc

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Reach For The Glass

Hi chaps

As above just curious to see how many people get the hump or annoyed even when they see another window cleaner in an area they were going to target.

I say this as I had my eye on 25 - 30 big houses. Detached extremely affluent area.

Now I'm not silly and I know they probably have window cleaners already.

But I did get a little feeling of b******s!

So does anyone else get the feeling of I'm not even going to bother all custys will be taken?

Not at all think of it as a challenge if I was to get down every time I saw another windy licker I'd have hung myself by now buddy

Think down was the wrong word here haha

Maybe slightly defeated in a certain area I wanted to get hold of.

Kind of puts you off canvassing certain streets etc

its a free enterprise canvass anywere you want!!I just don't under cut anyone.i had a conversation with a lady this week who had a window cleaner for six years.she cancelled him because he talked too much,another call because the previous window cleaner couldn't reach the dorma windows off a ladder.the list goes on.never be put off by other windies just do a good job & everthing falls into place.

One thing that gets me down is when I get sacked off, I know it's not the end of the world, but I do question myself when this happens, especially when I can't work out why they sacked me. I lost one about 2 weeks ago, the previous WFP cleaner left the windows with spotting. He charged £10. I said I would do them for £15 and I did a top notch job. The woman would even text me to tell me I was due to clean her windows that week. I suspect her husband had something to do with sacking me as he was there last time and probably a bit peed off at the time I was there. They've probably got someone for £10 and doing a :turd: job again.

were all human so these kind of things get you down.i had recommendation & cleaned a mom & daughters house.the previous windie was supposed to be unreliable etc.i did the 1st clean no probs.2nd clean sorry no money.3rd clean no answer even though tv on windows open etc.so I didn't clean it.these are messers who should be blacklisted.anyway im up early with cleaning shops so its no problem 4 me to get whats owed to me by parking across there drive b4 they go to work & I get it.

Hate it when a friendly, regular customer moves, especially if they are in the middle of two other customers houses. 8 times out of 10 you get the new people, but there's always that risk

I dont really care about other windies, there is plenty of work for all, atleast in my area. And if someone new is to come into the area i rely on my customers loyalty to me, thats wh i also always knock the door before i clean to say hi and keep the custys in mind who i am, and see that the money they pay insure i can make a living, its easier to turn down somone you dont have a face on rather than the opposite.

See, once again (this time Mark) it's saying 'dont undercut'

I dont understand this, there is no 'law' against it.

On a few occasions I have arrived at a quote when door knocking (and no i am not cheap) given a price only to find out i am a fiver or so cheaper than the previous chap but still my price is plenty for me.

I never ask what they are paying someone as that is none of my business and would have no reflection on my quote anyway.

I have also had plenty of the 'well the other fella charges x' and i tell em to stick with him then as i wont get outta bed for it and good luck.

But as Mark says people cancel or change for all sorts of reasons so always worth hitting every door on a street.

The only result of deliberate undercutting is you will end uo with an underpriced round full of the types of customer that as soon as you try to bring the prices up will drop you for the next cheapy that comes past.

Never interested what others charge when I quote, I give my price and stick to it.

I have also said as above best stick with your current guy then if they're a lot cheaper, but then do point out how much better I am than them /emoticons/tongue.png

Undercutting deliberately to get the job is naughty as in it drives down the prices all of us can charge if we all do it

Just quote your price and if it happens to be cheaper fine as you're just quoting what you normally would other houses you will be more expensive than the other guy

I just kept going and knocking doors in the new build area that I'm cleaning in, I knew that there was a windy in there already after the very first door I knocked, but 3 months later and I've got 9 houses out of I believe 30, some houses are not sold yet so I reckon a total of 22 houses with people in them. Just because a windy is there doesn't mean they have all the customers. My plan is to hopefully get every custy in the estate. I make a fair bit of noise (as recommended by another forum member) and my orange brand indicating my services stands out well on the back of my tshirt so I stand out. I collect my money personally after leaving a window call ticket and take the time to ask how the customers are and if their windows are ok. Word spreads quickly so one customer leads to another then to another.

Back