Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Brickwork cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jamespf1

Hi all, 

what’s the best way to remove the surface salts from the brickwork? A customer wants her brickwork cleaned. The mortar is however very Sandy and will fall out of jetwashed. 

would hypo be a good answer to remove  the bottom row of algae?

thanks 

C8837671-75CF-4589-8925-9DD9A6AD7248.jpeg

hhhmmm, its one of those topics that no one really wants to reply to as in the wrong hands things, go really really bad within seconds.

what you have there is effevescence, or salt weeping out from the cement/brickwork, theres no permanant cure for this really just, more of a maintainance regime, its not on the bottom of the wall but streaming all the way down the wall looking at the photo.

i treated a similar wall four years ago as part of a pressure washing job to a block of apartments, i'm back there on friday to clean the copings prior to them being repaired (frost damage) so i'll check on the areas i treated just to see the progress of the salts,

i used muratic acid for that job, it needs to be treated with a lot of respect mate, hypo seems to be the cure all for all things on the forums for many years, hypo has its limits as to what, it will cure and, this is not one of them.

personally, as your still learning with modest equipment i'd decline the job until you've learned more about soft washing as things go really bad within seconds in the wrong or inexperienced hands and, no amount of insurance-if you have any will cover you for this.

sorry if i come across as being blunt but, i'm just trying to helpfull and maybe steering you away from a job that could cost you very dearly.

I think it comes from high content chlorine in the tap water they use to make the mortar. At the time its fine but fairly soon it all dries and the salt weeps out. You can clean it up with brick acid but fairly soon more weeps out.

Back