Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Broken Hand in Cast

WCF

Help Support WCF:

The Villan

Have just broken my hand and they are putting it in a cast this week. Has anyone had this happen? Could you work? It isn't my strongest hand. If not able to work can I get benefits of any sort?

Any help would be appreciated. 

Depends how you are feeling it’s always good to give the body  time to heal you don’t want to do further damage , I would ask the doctors treating you for their input , as for benefits no I dear but generally the self employed naff all , unless you have accident insurance policy .  

Couldn't help regarding benefits as never been unemployed or on the sick for the last 35 years.

You would have to ensure the cast doesn't get wet so putting a plastic bag over the top and then swinging a pole is doable but you won't be at full speed. Sometimes a broken hand doesn't take that long to fix, what have they said for recovery time.

Have just broken my hand and they are putting it in a cast this week. Has anyone had this happen? Could you work? It isn't my strongest hand. If not able to work can I get benefits of any sort?

I've broken more bones in one accident than you've had hot dinners.

You should of taken your pole into theatre with you to get them to set your grip so the cast fits perfectly for holding it. 

Get back to work tomorrow you'll be okay 

Have you not got any money tucked away in the bank to pay your bills while you recover?you really should have at least 6 months bill money tucked away in an easy access savings account ready to spring into action if needed....

If not then could you not crack on with your work with a little help from another window cleaner?

Have you not got any money tucked away in the bank to pay your bills while you recover?you really should have at least 6 months bill money tucked away in an easy access savings account ready to spring into action if needed....

If not then could you not crack on with your work with a little help from another window cleaner?
At least 6 months?! Flaming eck everytime this comes up it gets longer. I’ve seen 1 month, 3 month, what’s next ‘Ohh you don’t have a decade’s worth of cash squirrelled away? So bad with money! ?’  

In all seriousness, I do agree to have money put away, but 6 months seems excessive & probably unreachable for many. Personally I have income protection insurance that kicks in after a month. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s enough to cover the mortgage & other major bills. So between that & savings I’m pretty well covered. I calculated that if I’m not well enough to work then I’m not going to be out on the town or burning petrol going for weekend drives. ?

At least 6 months?! Flaming eck everytime this comes up it gets longer. I’ve seen 1 month, 3 month, what’s next ‘Ohh you don’t have a decade’s worth of cash squirrelled away? So bad with money! ?’  

In all seriousness, I do agree to have money put away, but 6 months seems excessive & probably unreachable for many. Personally I have income protection insurance that kicks in after a month. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s enough to cover the mortgage & other major bills. So between that & savings I’m pretty well covered. I calculated that if I’m not well enough to work then I’m not going to be out on the town or burning petrol going for weekend drives. ?
It's what I've learned over many years of being self employed....its imperative to have emergency money behind you,6 months bill money is not unreachable at all.....it might take 5 years but anything worth having takes time to build....personally I have over 20k in my emergency fund account and I keep adding to it every month....its took me years to build it up but I don't have to worry if the worst happens and I need to take a few months off work for whatever reason.....it brings financial peace of mind

It's what I've learned over many years of being self employed....its imperative to have emergency money behind you,6 months bill money is not unreachable at all.....it might take 5 years but anything worth having takes time to build....personally I have over 20k in my emergency fund account and I keep adding to it every month....its took me years to build it up but I don't have to worry if the worst happens and I need to take a few months off work for whatever reason.....it brings financial peace of mind
That’s a great idea in theory but may be unreachable for some. I have an insurance policy in place for anything over a month off. Anything under a month I just use my overdrafts/cred cards to see me through as they are great for short term use. I think if I was to be having 6 months+ off work then I would start looking at a more long term option such as employing a worker to cover me. 

That’s a great idea in theory but may be unreachable for some. I have an insurance policy in place for anything over a month off. Anything under a month I just use my overdrafts/cred cards to see me through as they are great for short term use. I think if I was to be having 6 months+ off work then I would start looking at a more long term option such as employing a worker to cover me. 
How are you building financial stability as you grow older?I used to be terrible with money in my 20s but I've learned lessons over the years(I'm 50 now)....if your self employed you should be putting money away every month in a emergency fund account IMO....even if it took you 10 years to build up it worth it for your own piece of mind

How are you building financial stability as you grow older?I used to be terrible with money in my 20s but I've learned lessons over the years(I'm 50 now)....if your self employed you should be putting money away every month in a emergency fund account IMO....even if it took you 10 years to build up it worth it for your own piece of mind
I know what you mean, trouble is nowdays, you save money up, and its decreasing in value at a terrific rate. Say you have 20k stashed, in a years time it will lose thousands. Back in the day it would increase with interest. So they arent encouraging us to save. No wonder people just give up and splurge etc. As for pensions, well, might be good for some. But for others wont they get out less than they paid in? Whats the point of that? I know its happened big time in the states. What do they call it? their 401 or something? many/most paid in say 400k for their retirement and been told they're only getting 250k or so. So all that money they wasted and would've been better off buying gold or something. Mind you, no doubt our civil servants will make sure they are ok, anyway, im waffling, but it is a concerning issue.

I've broken more bones in one accident than you've had hot dinners.

You should of taken your pole into theatre with you to get them to set your grip so the cast fits perfectly for holding it. 

Get back to work tomorrow you'll be okay 
I have worked with various broken bones lol

strap up and crack on

I know what you mean, trouble is nowdays, you save money up, and its decreasing in value at a terrific rate. Say you have 20k stashed, in a years time it will lose thousands. Back in the day it would increase with interest. So they arent encouraging us to save. No wonder people just give up and splurge etc. As for pensions, well, might be good for some. But for others wont they get out less than they paid in? Whats the point of that? I know its happened big time in the states. What do they call it? their 401 or something? many/most paid in say 400k for their retirement and been told they're only getting 250k or so. So all that money they wasted and would've been better off buying gold or something. Mind you, no doubt our civil servants will make sure they are ok, anyway, im waffling, but it is a concerning issue.
I’ve got a pension.. it’s called my 2 businesses

that’s what will pay for my retirement

never paid a pension in my life

How did you keep your cast dry? Having it fitted tomorrow. Any tips appreciated. 
Like said before plastic bag and rubber bands

I used to play rugby so couldn’t take time off work every time I got injured as I’d never work

Back