Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Business please HELP!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Thank you for this. So do you advise hiring two staff members? 

If so, should I split hose or do 3 days for one person and 2 days another person? 

I think he does need me, but has shoulder problems because of the heavy workload. He gets paid £10 pH, plus tips I give him every week. Then he also worries about less hours in winter. So this is something I need to address going forward with all staff. Do you pay staff even if they can't work on winter? 

My staff get paid no matter what happens our business is set up to run to the same level all 12 months of the year, your problem is you staff member accounts for 100% of your working force on windows.
Any deviation has an impact.

Imho you treading a thin line and putting too much reliance on that one person.

Everyone in my business is replaceable including me

As it stands you would struggle to replace him on a whim and it not have a huge impact on you

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Hi. Yes I supply everything. I have already spoken to HMRC and have it recored that he can be self employed. I asked if I had to employee him or not and they told. Me it was my choice. 

Hi. Yes I supply everything. I have already spoken to HMRC and have it recored that he can be self employed. I asked if I had to employee him or not and they told. Me it was my choice. 

Short term take the reliance off him tell him you need to have 2 people on 4 days etc

Long term take a view on your business and staffing of
‘If I lost him today what would it mean’

I’m not being a **** just think as he is self employed you have no loyalty or contract with each other

What’s to stop me from knowing this info saying to him I’ll give him a salary a spare van and come and work for me, most of the customers would leave and your left with nowt

Any questions or support dm me

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Along with the fact that he is privy to your window cleaning business turnover and client list he maybe trying it on or not.

With respect never in a million years would I allow anyone to have access to my client list and turnover.

County Durham Lad

I personally wouldn't rely on information provided by a customer service agent of hmrc as they are reading of a computer and there information is not always up to date on their systems, I speak to a chartered accountant

County Durham Lad

You will run into difficulty. If you pay him and he does your work only he is classed as been employed by you. He isn't self employed. I would sort this out first before you consider another person. At HMRC a lot are call centre staff, you need some help and advice. Hope things work out for you

Thank you for this. So do you advise hiring two staff members? 

If so, should I split hose or do 3 days for one person and 2 days another person? 

I think he does need me, but has shoulder problems because of the heavy workload. He gets paid £10 pH, plus tips I give him every week. Then he also worries about less hours in winter. So this is something I need to address going forward with all staff. Do you pay staff even if they can't work on winter? 
If you have a decent genuine employee, then you need to address the equipment he is using as in lighter pole and brush, I started suffering quite badly with my shoulder 3 years ago and had to go to a physio and ultimately had to buy a series 2 Xtreme pole and the difference it has made over the years has been of a great benefit to me. 

Hi. Yes I have already spent alot of money on. Brand new pole for him. And the gutter vac is extremely light. He has always had problems with his shoulder and had an operation on it years ago that didn't go well app. I have told him I'll invest in a shoulder strap for him. 

I think if he wants to do just three days. Week. Then I'll find someone else for the other days. Maybe I'll go back out to work myself and find a nursery for my daughter. Thanks all. 

Back