Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

"Can we leave it this month" AGAIN

WCF

Help Support WCF:

She's right, it is her decision. I think a lot of people forget that. All we can do is explain the service to the best of our ability but this doesn't mean they don't have the right to cancel. I have a lot of respect for a cleaner that is willing to say sorry i'm not going to be coming back because of X, Y or Z. I always do unless the customer stops responding. For example one text back to her reminder saying can she cancel tomorrow as she won't be home. She has no gates and it was only the second clean. I explained she didn't need to be home etc but got nothing back, that one I can bin without having the conversation.

On the other end of the scale a lady called up who had me clean for her in May last year. She had gutters fascias, soffits, conservatory roof. I was competing against another local windy who isn't a nice guy so I did her a bargain and booked her in on 8 weeks. At the end of the clean I said I'll see you in 8 weeks and she said ''We'll let you know about the next date''.... That is the abridged version. I told her I wouldn't be cleaning for her again, her price was based on 8 weekly and she cancelled. She started trying to negotiate me up to a proper price, I told her I've lost trust in her as a customer and therefore cannot carry on.

I love a good rant on here about these types but I am as respectful as possible face to face. It's an art form being able to have a confrontational conversation without showing emotion or making it confrontational ?
Yes it is her decision, but her decision to mess you about.

How would she like it if her boss said, ‘not this week love, don’t need you and your not getting paid’

Were not ‘on call’, just dump em and fill up the round with people that are happy to see you.

On the point of ‘I try to minimise contact with customers’, I also disagree with that.

I make sure I build a friendship with almost all my customers. They know my wife and sons names although they have never met them.

To them I’m Steve the window cleaner, not just the window cleaner.

This is why I rarely get cancellations, they don’t care if someone can do it for five pounds less as it’s me they want to see and do the work ?

How would she like it if her boss said, ‘not this week love, don’t need you and your not getting paid’

Were not ‘on call’, just dump em and fill up the round with people that are happy to see you.

On the point of ‘I try to minimise contact with customers’, I also disagree with that.

I make sure I build a friendship with almost all my customers. They know my wife and sons names although they have never met them.

This is why I rarely get cancellations, they don’t care if someone can do it for five pounds less as it’s me they want to see and do the work ?
Completely agree... But it's you're ??? Sorry mate, couldn't resist.

I know what your saying steve, some do become good friends and they build up trust etc. Unlike some of the bigger companies where they dont know if tom **** or harrys coming round. A lot of mine are quite elderly and I will miss them. Its just its a good job there are a lot who I never see, else that bit of chat time would chip away at the working day. I do always have time for the olduns as they often dont get to see many people in a day.

I know what your saying steve, some do become good friends and they build up trust etc. Unlike some of the bigger companies where they dont know if tom **** or harrys coming round. A lot of mine are quite elderly and I will miss them. Its just its a good job there are a lot who I never see, else that bit of chat time would chip away at the working day. I do always have time for the olduns as they often dont get to see many people in a day.
I reckon the people who use the bigger companies would love it if they sent a 4 star **** cleaner ? Seems the bigger the company the worse the service, often indicated by their reviews.

I think once you get beyond a certain size you loose that personal touch. As @steve garwood says, he gets less cancellations because his customers know him. I've been shot down for agreeing with this point before. Before people come out with it again I'm fully aware that the customer wants clean windows not a friend. This is the same respect when you employ someone, you want an employee not a friend, doesn't stop you making work mates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'll tell you what happened round here some years back. When i was in and out of work for a spell, I used to help one of our mates out doing gardening at this big house for a couple who were retired doctors. was ok, nice old couple etc, bit of part time work for me. anyway, cut it short,  I moved onto other things, my mate ended up being left 150 grand in their will about 4 years back when they died. Obviously thats exceptional, but what a strike of luck eh?

Also, I'll tell you what happened round here some years back. When i was in and out of work for a spell, I used to help one of our mates out doing gardening at this big house for a couple who were retired doctors. was ok, nice old couple etc, bit of part time work for me. anyway, cut it short,  I moved onto other things, my mate ended up being left 150 grand in their will about 4 years back when they died. Obviously thats exceptional, but what a strike of luck eh?
I've heard things like that before, do people a good turn and they will often give back... Maybe not to that extent but even so. Nowt wrong with being a nice person and wanting to do a good job.

My friend Kevin owns a pet shop. He had an old lady customer who regularly bought meal worms off him for the birds.

When she was made house bound, Kev delivered the worms to her on his way home from work as a nice favour.

She died a couple of years back and left him her bungalow (worth 390 grand) and 270 grand in her bank.

I hate him 
what a touch. you never know I guess. Biggest luck I had found a 20g of pure 999 fine gold ingot, south african company, found it on a car boot field at the end of the day. Girlfriend wanted it put on a chain but it ended up funding a lot of nice pub outings ?

Had a bad day yesterday on work I like it's compacted about 200 quids worth , Friday  I contacted my customers that needed to be contacted and got 3 texts back cancelling, then when I went out yesterday lady comes out and says "not today thankyou" after I'd walked to the house , she was sacked immediately 

Last edited by a moderator:
What info do people need of you to leave things in their will?

Just the window cleaner?

Might change my business name to my personal one... ?

Last edited:
Binned one yesterday (felt good too). I quoted her a few weeks back when doing a neighbors hse. She called me over and said her last window cleaner didn't do a very good job so wanted to try me. I know the firm she was referring to and there are lot of people who are unhappy with them. I pick up loads of work from their shortcomings.  Anyway I stressed to her at that point that I clean all year round, including in the rain (within reason) blah blah....and she said "that's fine". 

So the day before, as with all my customers, (works well for me) I text her to say that I shall be with her in the morning to carry out her 1st clean. I even mentioned that drizzle was forecast but be reassured that it will have no effect on the outcome of the clean, in fact it will help me. She accepts that and says "see you tomorrow". Okay, I start the round next day and half way through the morning get a text from this woman who says, " Leave it today, its going to rain".  I text back reminding her of our original conversation and my text the previous evening about working in the rain, which she accepted. She said that it was her decision, she is the customer and that's that. I tell her that I am not a fair weather, once in a while window cleaner and that I can guarantee the result. She declines. 

Yes, I get that she is the customer but you cant let them mess you around. Everything was explained clearly to her at the start . I rearranged the whole round that day to accommodate her lengthy first clean and could have done several other jobs in her place had I known. 

So beware newbies, the odd ones are out there, waiting to mess with you for whatever reason.  You don't have to put up with it. 
I agree totally. Tough to hold your ground sometimes especially starting out, but you'll build a better, stronger business. 

Yep. My customers the same. Most haven't met my wife, but communicate with her by phone or text. She and I both have a rapport with most of them. ??

What info do people need of you to leave things in their will?

Just the window cleaner?

Might change my business name to my personal one... ?
Make sure you do the lottery too kiddo ?

Had a bad day yesterday on work I like it's compacted about 200 quids worth , Friday  I contacted my customers that needed to be contacted and got 3 texts back cancelling, then when I went out yesterday lady comes out and says "not today thankyou" after I'd walked to the house , she was sacked immediately 
That is the height of ignorance, cancelling on the day! I have 2 bungalows I do where the guy did that. Told me they had a wash the other day when it rained. I said whatever and did the neighbours. When I came the next month I did the neighbour first so he started to get nervy. I went and knocked the door and asked if he was having them cleaned this month. He doesn't get a text reminder so I lectured him and his missus on how they know the date i'm due and have to cancel before hand. I told them I normally charge full price when i'm turned away but this time I would let it slide.... Felt like a bit of a bully but it got the point through.

The only reason I kept it on is it takes me 6-7 minutes per bungalow, I can't really see i'm ''keeping space open'' for him.

She's right, it is her decision. I think a lot of people forget that. All we can do is explain the service to the best of our ability but this doesn't mean they don't have the right to cancel. I have a lot of respect for a cleaner that is willing to say sorry i'm not going to be coming back because of X, Y or Z. I always do unless the customer stops responding. For example one text back to her reminder saying can she cancel tomorrow as she won't be home. She has no gates and it was only the second clean. I explained she didn't need to be home etc but got nothing back, that one I can bin without having the conversation.

On the other end of the scale a lady called up who had me clean for her in May last year. She had gutters fascias, soffits, conservatory roof. I was competing against another local windy who isn't a nice guy so I did her a bargain and booked her in on 8 weeks. At the end of the clean I said I'll see you in 8 weeks and she said ''We'll let you know about the next date''.... That is the abridged version. I told her I wouldn't be cleaning for her again, her price was based on 8 weekly and she cancelled. She started trying to negotiate me up to a proper price, I told her I've lost trust in her as a customer and therefore cannot carry on.

I love a good rant on here about these types but I am as respectful as possible face to face. It's an art form being able to have a confrontational conversation without showing emotion or making it confrontational ?
If there is no gate how do you do them?

I disagree and prefer to have "minimal contact" but that I suppose suits my personality type. I couldnt build that type of relationship with them if I wanted to I'm just not an outgoing social person . Dont get me wrong I have certain customers I click with and chat to but it's only a handful who get more than a smile and a hello goodbye etc.

I just like to clean and get done and go home so chatting and getting to know people personally etc is just slowing me down.

window cleaning is just not that important for most people.....however if customers want a regular service they have to toe the line and fit into MY work schedule,NOT theirs,occasionally get their windows cleaned in the rain and pay me in a reasonable amount of time....THATS IT!....if they start to falter on any of these 3 things then its goodbye......

what some people dont realise is their domestic house job is easily replaceable with another similar job and it usually happens within a month...because we have lots of eggs in many different baskets it doesnt affect our earnings in general terms as theres always another job just around the corner....its not so easy for them to find a decent window cleaner who is reliable,trustworthy and does a good job year in/year out though....

most customers learn this over the years from having lots of different window cleaners and stick with a good one when they find them........and dont kick up a fuss if they turn up and clean in the rain,ive been cleaning in the rain for years,customers get used to it and most dont even mention it if their in when i clean....

im running a business...if i dont work im not earning...most customers understand this thank God!?

It's just open, you walk straight down the side and into the back garden, nothing for her to leave open as its already open. You must have some of these?
Yes but I also have a lot where access is an issue I used to book them in but it's become a pain from now on any new ones have to sign up with DD and the front gets done I do not go collecting as it's unpaid work. 

window cleaning is just not that important for most people.....however if customers want a regular service they have to toe the line and fit into MY work schedule,NOT theirs,occasionally get their windows cleaned in the rain and pay me in a reasonable amount of time....THATS IT!....if they start to falter on any of these 3 things then its goodbye......

what some people dont realise is their domestic house job is easily replaceable with another similar job and it usually happens within a month...because we have lots of eggs in many different baskets it doesnt affect our earnings in general terms as theres always another job just around the corner....its not so easy for them to find a decent window cleaner who is reliable,trustworthy and does a good job year in/year out though....

most customers learn this over the years from having lots of different window cleaners and stick with a good one when they find them........and dont kick up a fuss if they turn up and clean in the rain,ive been cleaning in the rain for years,customers get used to it and most dont even mention it if their in when i clean....

im running a business...if i dont work im not earning...most customers understand this thank God!?
Totally agree ! My policy as well! 

I was left £100 once by a customer.

Family sent me a letter with a cheque & that she wanted to me to have something for always being kind ?

Back