Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Chemical use

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Just came across this on Amazon thought it was interesting as some have said that sodium hypochlorite is not allowed to be used for cleaning buildings and paths , as it’s not approved for that purpose , think this shows that it is approved for that type of use by the content of the advert .

Attachments

• IMG_0351.png
    IMG_0351.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Be so careful with chems . In the recent past i have heard of a guy who died from spraying weedkillers [he wore all the protective gear too ] and someone else i know got early dementia who was in the habit of adding a dash of bleach into his buckets [often ]

Interesting.
On their website (https://jovs.co.uk/product/sodium-hypochlorite-liquid-chlorine-garden-patio/) they even give instructions for cleaning a patio!
And they don't mention about killing grass etc but put a caveat at the bottom of the page, I wonder why??

"PLEASE NOTE: It is the responsibility of the user to obtain registration for formulations based on Sodium Hypochlorite appropriate to its recommended application and the country or territory in which it will be used."

This isn't the worst of it a few months ago I'd have video adverts popping up on Facebook about a hypo-based product the person in the advert was wearing jeans and a t-shirt no ppe whatsoever and not a single mention of the risks of using their products

We have a large independent retailer here in Barnstaple which is similar yet smaller than Trago Mills which is currently selling a path and patio cleaner which has lots of friendly safe key words on the front label yet the rear label and its small print mentions all the nasty words like toxic, dangerous to wildlife, aquatic life, pets children, adults, vegetation and the environment

I really don't under why these types of biocides are so easy to buy without a care for anything

People are buying it by the case load but no one reads the rear labels

Attachments

• 61ULCtNPO1L.jpg
    61ULCtNPO1L.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
We have a large independent retailer here in Barnstaple which is similar yet smaller than Trago Mills which is currently selling a path and patio cleaner which has lots of friendly safe key words on the front label yet the rear label and its small print mentions all the nasty words like toxic, dangerous to wildlife, aquatic life, pets children, adults, vegetation and the environment

I really don't under why these types of biocides are so easy to buy without a care for anything

People are buying it by the case load but no one reads the rear labels
To be fair most of the professional products are the same read all the sheets for Benz stuff , pure seal, Bonnymans they are all the same , the key is in using the correct dilution for the job in hand , and not using theses products near rivers or water ways and using the minimum amount of product to do the job , then thoroughly dilute and run off or waist . Truth be told a lot of there’s so called bio products are worse than hypo with potential damage to plant, and aquatic life , I have a large koi pond with fish a meter long and every year softwash up to the edge of the pond and never have an issue but that’s due to knowing how to use the hypo safely in that environment, many just spray it everywhere and haven’t got a clue , I was talking to a customer the other week who lives right on a river with lots of fish in he he was explaining in great detail how he puts 8 drums of hypo all over his drive then washes it into the drain that goes into the river I asked what dilution rate he used he looked very puzzled and said no I use it neat are you supposed to dilute it !!! This is the type of person who will do huge amounts of damage to the environment by behaving in this manner .

To be fair most of the professional products are the same read all the sheets for Benz stuff , pure seal, Bonnymans they are all the same , the key is in using the correct dilution for the job in hand , and not using theses products near rivers or water ways and using the minimum amount of product to do the job , then thoroughly dilute and run off or waist . Truth be told a lot of there’s so called bio products are worse than hypo with potential damage to plant, and aquatic life , I have a large koi pond with fish a meter long and every year softwash up to the edge of the pond and never have an issue but that’s due to knowing how to use the hypo safely in that environment, many just spray it everywhere and haven’t got a clue , I was talking to a customer the other week who lives right on a river with lots of fish in he he was explaining in great detail how he puts 8 drums of hypo all over his drive then washes it into the drain that goes into the river I asked what dilution rate he used he looked very puzzled and said no I use it neat are you supposed to dilute it !!! This is the type of person who will do huge amounts of damage to the environment by behaving in this manner .
Yes, I'm fully aware of how bad biocides are. It's the diy Sunday Gardiners that need watching. Splish splashing it around like it's water is the worrying part

looking from the suppliers side, the second you buy one of their products, their responsibility stops there.
they will provide the sds if you ask or it may be available online from their website.
you buy the product and you should know how to use it, it really is as simple as that.
sh is a hard surface cleaner and should be used as such with the correct knowledge or, at least common sense you should be fine i guess.
for the record i always use benz, i have used hypo in the past when i have had no benz in stock and it was a small job and not worth ordering even a sample of benz.
you can certainly tell the difference between them both.

If you guys are looking for a Bio friendly chemical to clean UPVC, Rhino Goo has one.
Check out the reviews on Amazon from people who have used it.
Also it is pet friendly and definitely not caustic.
It’s an amazing friendly cleaner.
Rhino Goo, UPVC Cleaner.

If you guys are looking for a Bio friendly chemical to clean UPVC, Rhino Goo has one.
Check out the reviews on Amazon from people who have used it.
Also it is pet friendly and definitely not caustic.
It’s an amazing friendly cleaner.
Rhino Goo, UPVC Cleaner.
Having just looked this up it says it’s a water repellent, so what effect does this have on the glass ? Does it stop the water sheeting when you rinse like hydrophobic glass does ?

Having just looked this up it says it’s a water repellent, so what effect does this have on the glass ? Does it stop the water sheeting when you rinse like hydrophobic glass does ?
No, not at all.
Obviously spray on the product on the frames and give it a good scrub and then rinse off, making sure that all the chemicals suds are all off and job done.
Amazing stuff.
EBay is cheaper than Amazon.

No, not at all, it’s amazing stuff and it don’t make your pole slippery like other products.
Obviously spray on the product on the frames and give it a good scrub and then rinse off, making sure that all the chemicals suds are all off and job done.
Amazing stuff.
EBay is cheaper than Amazon.

Back