Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Christmas ‘drink’ tips

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Not sure about any of you guys but over the past few years I’ve noticed how Christmas tips have virtually ceased to exist ...

Not that I ever expect them in anyway but I can remember years ago when customers would hand you a £5 or £10 cash tip thanking you for the past years work ...

I think with the advent of BACS & the continuation of the dreaded cheque that cash may be a thing of the past in the next 10 years or so? ...

Ive had customers BACS me a tip which obviously goes against my taxable profits, whilst it’s appreciated none the less I can’t help feel that a cash tip sits better in the wallet!
most of my customers pay online these days but still give me a cash tip if their in when i clean before xmas,some also pay me a bit extra online too if i miss them...

i always say every year that i wont get many tips this xmas....i usually get £400-£500 and have done for 20+ years.....im up to £168 already and its only the 5th dec.....one elderly customer yesterday gave me a £12 tip on an £8 job!its a good feeling that im appreciated for working in all weathers all year round!

i do give all my customers a hand written xmas card too though.....its took me 6 hours to write out 280 cards(i have 342 customers but wont get round them all before xmas)...well worth it though......id be signing on if it wasnt for my great customer base!?

i think next xmas ill get a stamp made up instead of hand writing them out though!?

Write "Merry Xmas" on the invoices that you put through the door, if they're out. You'll be surprised at how many chuck a little extra on your BACS payment ?
I had someone today BACS me a tip ? , they'd already paid their bill previously......some nice folk out there......

That’s the one thing I wouldn’t do is give my customers Christmas cards.

I personally think it looks like sucking up to them.

Customers aren’t family or friends, they are customers.

Just my humble opinion ?‍??
your just a cynical old dog mate.....?...im genuinely grateful for every job/customer ive got on my books,without them i wouldnt have a business..i always write "thank you for your custom over the year" inside each and every card too....?

So far im on £45 a bottle of savigon blanc, and this little beauty that ill be sticking in a cupboard and forgetting for a few years.

Screenshot_20191204-195215_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20191204-195515_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191204-151015_Samsung Internet.jpg

That’s the one thing I wouldn’t do is give my customers Christmas cards.

I personally think it looks like sucking up to them.

Customers aren’t family or friends, they are customers.

Just my humble opinion ?‍??
I only give cards to customers who pass one on to me, usually about a dozen or so.

It's the time o year when most of us windies receive xmas tips.the question is.do we declair this to the dreaded tax man? Back in the day,my accounts at the time were a firm called PIGGOT & DODD and they advised me not to declair tips.right old pair these two! Btw they also advised me to pay as little tax as possible.lol.whats your view on this subject??

It's the time o year when most of us windies receive xmas tips.the question is.do we declair this to the dreaded tax man? Back in the day,my accounts at the time were a firm called PIGGOT & DODD and they advised me not to declair tips.right old pair these two! Btw they also advised me to pay as little tax as possible.lol.whats your view on this subject??

yes the bottom line is they should be declared, don’t know about the latest forms as my accountant deals with it but there used to be a specific section to enter tips . 

When i was a taxi driver, another driver git audited when they said youve not declared any tips, he told them he doesnt accept tips.

They called bullsh1t and added 15% of his total declared earnings as undeclared and he got fined for it.

I know taci driving isnt window cleaning but its a cash driven business and if nothings declared and you are unlucky enough to get audited they WILL pull you for it.

other than a bottle here & there, I don't even get tips! Most of mine are commercial anyway, but the few houses I do I make sure they pay me direct. Some occasionally want to give me the cash there and then, but that's rare, but that doesn't even go in my pocket - straight into the paying-in book, then banked!

Tips is not taxable. I never heard of anyone getting in trouble for 5-10 euro tip. If you hide 30k from the taxman, you might have a problem. But few euros for a beer here and there, is fine

We are doing a lot of window cleaning projects for a lot of people. Low income, middle & high income areas. Rich people never try to work with you and if there is 1 chance in a million to find a issue, they will find it. Just to don`t pay you. My lads are telling me that the best tips comes from low/middle class areas where people always prepare coffee or tea for my workers. Is that the same everywhere?

That s in UK, in Ireland is a grey area. Decency applies. So whatever you class as decent. If you make 10 euro tip, you are ok, if you make 100 you should declare it. But no one has ever been arested

Before starting window cleaning i was a Taxi driver for 17 years and its true poor people give you alot better tips. the rougest estate in Devon they would always tip you and not small amounts. 

Back