Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning windows over an extension

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I understand that but I see how much the local people charge and feel I have to match that! Yeah I have insurance.

the aim is to start this as a new career as I do genuinely enjoy it!
If you are charging 'the local going rate' then that's fine. It's just that £8 seemed very very cheap for Essex. When quoting if you look professional and come across as professional you will do well. If you win 100% of your quotes you may be too cheap, aim for winning about 80% of quotes.

Great to hear you are going for it. 

Keep coming back and let us know how you get on. We are generally a friendly bunch.

I feel like I have to charge less as I am a newbie 
Do you tell potential customers you're new and just learning? As long as you're diligent you will do just as good of a job as an old hat. The only difference is you'll take longer, doesn't mean you have to be cheaper though.

You're in a relatively strong position, doing it part time, so your pricing should be mid range not bottom end.

Ultimately it's your business and up to you what you charge and how you do it. There are some succesful windies on this site, the majority of whom, have started from scratch like you. Listening to them will help you get to where you want to be.

All you have to do is all of the hard work.

I understand that but I see how much the local people charge and feel I have to match that! Yeah I have insurance.

the aim is to start this as a new career as I do genuinely enjoy it!
May I ask how you know how much the local people charge? As if its coming from the customers its probably either a) 20 years out of date or b) them trying to get it cheap. I know a few window cleaners in essex, and going by the rough size of that house you would be looking more at £18-25 I would think. Of course, that does depend whereabouts in Essex you are, but it wouldn't be far out.

As the others have said, go in confidently, no 'discounts' because you're new to the job. Or you will end up with lots of customers, but no time or money! Being new doesn't mean you're not good at it. I've only been window cleaning as my main job for 1 year, I recently bought a round off someone who had been window cleaning 20 years, and if it weren't for the list of addresses, Id have never thought the customers had ever had a window cleaner going by how much of a mess the windows were in!

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask how you know how much the local people charge? As if its coming from the customers its probably either a) 20 years out of date or b) them trying to get it cheap. I know a few window cleaners in essex, and going by the rough size of that house you would be looking more at £18-25 I would think. Of course, that does depend whereabouts in Essex you are, but it wouldn't be far out.

As the others have said, go in confidently, no 'discounts' because you're new to the job. Or you will end up with lots of customers, but no time or money! Being new doesn't mean you're not good at it. I've only been window cleaning as my main job for 1 year, I recently bought a round off someone who had been window cleaning 20 years, and if it weren't for the list of addresses, Id have never thought the customers had ever had a window cleaner going by how much of a mess the windows were in!
I’m going of what my neighbours and friends pay their windys.

I will be looking to charge more, need to have faith in myself haha! Thanks for you help!

If you are charging 'the local going rate' then that's fine. It's just that £8 seemed very very cheap for Essex. When quoting if you look professional and come across as professional you will do well. If you win 100% of your quotes you may be too cheap, aim for winning about 80% of quotes.

Great to hear you are going for it. 

Keep coming back and let us know how you get on. We are generally a friendly bunch.
Will do ? Thankyou ? 

Hi all,

I am new to this and have just started my own business! I have a question regarding traditional window cleaning.. How can u clean the windows above an extension like the picture attached?

View attachment 23033
The only way you are going to do that trad is to stand on a ladder above the door and use a zero degree swivel squeegee on a trad pole and use a cloth around the edges where you left excess. 

I’m going of what my neighbours and friends pay their windys.

I will be looking to charge more, need to have faith in myself haha! Thanks for you help!

Hi all, me again. 

What is your advise on cleaning this window using traditional? 

I won’t be able to get ‘nose to glass’ will I? 

6409BEE2-082B-4F6E-9A5F-30A43342A7F4.jpeg

Hi all, me again. 

What is your advise on cleaning this window using traditional? 

I won’t be able to get ‘nose to glass’ will I? 

View attachment 23084
So long as the glass is a single sheet with nothing to obstruct a squeegy then a Moerman Excelerator on a pole would do it, not so sure about doing that from a ladder though, H&S issue?

Have a look at Trad Man on YouTube.

So long as the glass is a single sheet with nothing to obstruct a squeegy then a Moerman Excelerator on a pole would do it, not so sure about doing that from a ladder though, H&S issue?

Have a look at Trad Man on YouTube.
Most trad cleaners use ladders to do upstairs windows what’s the difference with doing that off a ladder you wouldn’t need to be up that high ??? 

Most trad cleaners use ladders to do upstairs windows what’s the difference with doing that off a ladder you wouldn’t need to be up that high ??? 
The difference in my mind is standing on a ladder and using a pole is not ideal, not saying that I haven't done it but better if you can hold the ladder with one hand at all times.

It's not far to fall but if you smack your head it might be the last thing you ever do.

The difference in my mind is standing on a ladder and using a pole is not ideal, not saying that I haven't done it but better if you can hold the ladder with one hand at all times.

It's not far to fall but if you smack your head it might be the last thing you ever do.
I see what you are saying , it might be able to be done from the ground using a longer pole , I always did them off a ladder when I was trad as I found it easier using a shorter pole??

A neighbour where I stay has built an extension and they are not happy with their Trad windy cleaner. He's walking all over their new roof tiles to clean the upstairs windows. I guess i will get a shout to do them when the tiles begin to break because he's not a lightweight. ?

A neighbour where I stay has built an extension and they are not happy with their Trad windy cleaner. He's walking all over their new roof tiles to clean the upstairs windows. I guess i will get a shout to do them when the tiles begin to break because he's not a lightweight. ?
See I could get away with climbing onto the roof to get to the windows as I’m not the heaviest lol!

I could get away with climbing onto the roof
You could but you could also fall off and die!!!! Is it worth it? Either don't do the house or get wfp. You are young but not indestructible!!!!

Just think about your statement! 'I could get away with xyz', you realise it's risky but are prepared to take the risk for a few quid?????

I know I'm risk averse and maybe too much but using a ladder is dangerous enough but without being able to hold on is madness. Ladders should be used for access not for working from.

Latest Posts

Back