Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning windows over an extension

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Struggle to maintain 3 points of contact, 2 feet and a knee doesn't count
Very few trad cleaners do have 3 points of contact I never did I had the squeegee in one hand and the scrim in the other ??? I cringe now when I look at some of the jobs I did off ladders one job was 4 storey and I used to stand on the top rung of the ladder and hold on to the window surround , I cannot believe I used to do it to be honest total madness but that’s how things were done years ago . 

I think everyone that's used ladders has at some time worked dangerously, including myself on gutter jobs.

Just can't really advise a newbie to do something the way we would. We're almost becoming the don't do as I did brigade ?
Thing is H&S has altered drastically in the last 20 odd years , back then ladders was the only way to do a lot of theses jobs , but times have changed I would never recommend anyone to use ladders theses days wfp if a far safer, easier method , better results , it’s a no brainier .

Thing is H&S has altered drastically in the last 20 odd years , back then ladders was the only way to do a lot of theses jobs , but times have changed I would never recommend anyone to use ladders theses days wfp if a far safer, easier method , better results , it’s a no brainier .
A lot of my customers have got rid of their wfp windys and want trad. I don’t mind the ladder, I believe it’s the way you use the ladder determines how safe you are.

A lot of my customers have got rid of their wfp windys and want trad. I don’t mind the ladder, I believe it’s the way you use the ladder determines how safe you are.
It's irrelevant what the customers want, it's not their lives at stake!

Give your council H&S team a call and ask them the legalities of working off a ladder!

If you really insist on working off ladders at minimum do a ladder safety course. You might think you know how to safely work off a ladder but a course will help keep you safe!! 

I think everyone that's used ladders has at some time worked dangerously, including myself on gutter jobs.

Just can't really advise a newbie to do something the way we would. We're almost becoming the don't do as I did brigade ?
I think we have a responsibility to dissuade the youngsters from doing the stupid things we may have done in the past.

Question is why did they get rid of them ??? Poor standard of work would be my guess , we pick up lots of work ware people say they want trad cleaner as the garden broom methods no good , I say I will clean your windows for free with my garden broom and walk away , every single one has phoned and asked us to do them regularly ,it’s down to water quality and technique , as others have said ladders are a useful tool for occasional jobs not working off them every day it’s a numbers game and one day you will have a fall , might just shake you up a bit and be up injured , could kill you , we have gone out to a number of falls from height ware they have received life changing injuries ,when a safer alternative exists it’s in everyone’s best interests to use it . The  HSE are  getting a lot tougher on the this , don’t become a statistic , it’s not a pleasant job having to visit there family and tell them that there father / brother is in hospital fighting for there life . 

Unless they're stuck in the mud, have a safety matrix or other safety gadget or footed they  can go from underneath you for no apparent reason. We aren't trying to scare  you off but trying to work out how to do windows, that are inaccessible from ladders, doesn't really make people feel that you are working that safely. 

For around £500 you can get kitted out to do these types of windows safely, the kit will last for years, and if your customers don't want you to do them this way and prefer you to risk your life then are they really the type of customer you want.

Ime in the Fireservice and instruct in the safe use of ladders , I had 2 falls whilst window cleaning both only resulted in me being shaken up and I only fell around 4-8 feet , but people have died or had serious injuries from falls like that , I was lucky .

Hi all, me again. 

What is your advise on cleaning this window using traditional? 

I won’t be able to get ‘nose to glass’ will I? 

View attachment 23084
Leaded windows over that roof the results will be poor with a trad pole and a cloth, the two jobs you have posted on here are wfp jobs all day long and are very easily and safely done,

If you let customers dictate to you and how you want to run your business then when hit a point when you need to go wfp are they all going to walk

Leaded windows over that roof the results will be poor with a trad pole and a cloth, the two jobs you have posted on here are wfp jobs all day long and are very easily and safely done,

If you let customers dictate to you and how you want to run your business then when hit a point when you need to go wfp are they all going to walk
Hello,

I’m not letting the customers dictate how to run my business, I would prefer to do trad rather than wfp. I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. I’m not saying in the future I may switch to wfp but for now I prefer the trad method. 

2. That window is the only window I cannot reach on the house. I will let the customer know that if I cannot reach the window safely then they can make the choice either find someone else or let me do every window apart from that one.

Hello,

I’m not letting the customers dictate how to run my business, I would prefer to do trad rather than wfp. I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. I’m not saying in the future I may switch to wfp but for now I prefer the trad method. 

2. That window is the only window I cannot reach on the house. I will let the customer know that if I cannot reach the window safely then they can make the choice either find someone else or let me do every window apart from that one.
Using the word dictate was maybe a tad harsh. 

I appreciate we all have to start off somewhere I was trad for over 8 years and I totally get what you are doing.

I used to do plenty of windows like that with trad method for years. I liked using ladders and had a lot of customers that had got rid of wfp method. To be honest I thought the wfp method must be rubbish based on customers I’d picked up. Then one day last year I was doing a really simple upstairs window and the next thing I knew I was hitting the floor, it really shook me up and hurt! Thankfully I’m ‘only’ 27 so I didn’t do too much damage but if I landed on my head it would be a different story.

My advice from my own experience is don’t use ladders unless you need to, For me personally I then started with a backpack on a trolley and only used it for any ‘dangerous windows’ or hard to reach like in your photo.. then I started using it for more and more upstairs windows. Recently I’ve gone van system and do ups and downs as I’ve realised wfp is brilliant, it’s faster and does a better job and all these customers that had moaned about it either had cowboys and now love it or turned out to be naf customers anyway.

obviously you might not be able to go straight into a van set up right now but I highly recommend considering how you can start using wfp according to your needs and current circumstances, it was the best thing I did

I used to do plenty of windows like that with trad method for years. I liked using ladders and had a lot of customers that had got rid of wfp method. To be honest I thought the wfp method must be rubbish based on customers I’d picked up.
We used to encounter some resistance 15+ years ago, I think it stemmed from cleaners from one or two larger companies who may well have had an industry leading logo on the side of their vans doing a poor job.

WFP is so common here that it hasn't been an issue for Donkeys years.

Latest Posts

Back