Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best light ladder and customer service times

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Naqib

Hello I started traditional window cleaning in London. I am trying to work from sunrise until sunset in winter which is around 3:30pm. I haven’t got a car soon carry the ladder myself which is 6 metres and 40kg. Looking for lighter ladder but can extend to first floor windows.

So need advice on ladder, how to get customers from this times 7am to 3pm above as I don’t like working after sunset

Hello I started traditional window cleaning in London. I am trying to work from sunrise until sunset in winter which is around 3:30pm. I haven’t got a car soon carry the ladder myself which is 6 metres and 40kg. Looking for lighter ladder but can extend to first floor windows.

So need advice on ladder, how to get customers from this times 7am to 3pm above as I don’t like working after sunset
Try looking at Ramsey pointer window cleaning ladders , they are lightweight compared to others and very stable as the bottoms are splayed and go in sizes from 3 meters up to 5 meters so will cover all eventuality’s

I have Ramsey ladder too that extends but is heavy. How much is the one you suggested weight? Bear in mind I carry all this stuff

You want a 3.5 double extension ladder. Titan or lyte are good brands although most trade ladders are good enough. Stay away from the young man’s ones though as the square rungs aren’t very good on your knees and find they are a little flimsy. They will reach most stuff and are alot lighter than the extension pointers. I found them way too heavy for all day/every day use. Also if your on your own I would recommend a good set of spikes for extra safety.

You want a 3.5 double extension ladder. Titan or lyte are good brands although most trade ladders are good enough. Stay away from the young man’s ones though as the square rungs aren’t very good on your knees and find they are a little flimsy. They will reach most stuff and are alot lighter than the extension pointers. I found them way too heavy for all day/every day use. Also if you’re on your own I would recommend a good set of spikes for extra safety.
Lite ladders are very good but very chunky big section stiles and very prone to being affected by the wind I started off with them and changed to Ramsey as they are far more stable in wind and splayed bottoms makes them much better on uneven ground and you can pitch then into the corner of windows and they are far less likely to slip due to a single rubber pointer foot being the only top point of contact with the building. Also makes it much easier to get to the whole glass area as no other metal work in the way

What size ladder would you need ?
Up to 6 metres (usual upto first floor houses) where I can fold it and extend it. I have no car so something I can carry physically. Ideal for traditional window cleaning

You want a 3.5 double extension ladder. Titan or lyte are good brands although most trade ladders are good enough. Stay away from the young man’s ones though as the square rungs aren’t very good on your knees and find they are a little flimsy. They will reach most stuff and are alot lighter than the extension pointers. I found them way too heavy for all day/every day use. Also if you’re on your own I would recommend a good set of spikes for extra safety.
Thanks for the heads ups

Years ago carrying everything trad was the norm, I'm sure a few of us lads have done it and walked the streets all-day I used Youngman ladders when I started up in 2000 until 2008 and never had an issue with them but I couldn't comment on how good they are these days, I had suction cup feet on the bottom after a bad fall and used to carry a homemade spike board to put on wet lawns in case of the ladder slipped

I wouldn't be going anywhere near someone's house at 7 in the morning. Some people aren't to happy at 8, never mind throwing a ladder up at 7 in the morning.

We start domestic between 8-8:30 but if you have commercial or shops then a much earlier start is possible .
I used to walk the Edgware Road at 5am doing shop fronts with bucket, pole and squeegee and walk back at opening time after a cafe breakfast and do the odd inside and get paid from them all
That was over 20 years ago and would be a bit more iffy walking the streets of Kilburn at that time nowadays lol

What time is best to start?

I start at 9 but I think half 8 is ideal tbh, shouldn't get anyone saying anything to you at that time. Kids are all dressed and left for school and unless working from home the customers usually away too. No ones going to want you there at 7 in the morning when there in the skud getting ready.

I used to walk the Edgware Road at 5am doing shop fronts with bucket, pole and squeegee and walk back at opening time after a cafe breakfast and do the odd inside and get paid from them all
That was over 20 years ago and would be a bit more iffy walking the streets of Kilburn at that time nowadays lol
Are you sure it was only doing windows at that time of the morning

I know this thread is a bit old, but we are restricted in our use of ladders now for commercial work. We can't use residential light weight ladders any more, as they have to be to EN151 regulations with a 150kg weight limit.

I know this thread is a bit old, but we are restricted in our use of ladders now for commercial work. We can't use residential light weight ladders any more, as they have to be to EN151 regulations with a 150kg weight limit.
I only use trade rated ladders anyway
Madness not to
I cringe when I see trad guys with their b&q specials working round here

Latest Posts

Back