Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rip Another One Bites The Dust

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Very sad.

It can happen so quickly.

Both guys died, it seems from the head injuries sustained. Is there a case maybe, for some sort of safety helmet for working on ladders??

I don't know of any particular solution, but this is a window cleaning forum. Designed to discuss serious and important issues related to our working environment. It's not just a case of bringing home the money, but also just about getting home safe and in one piece.

Can we, please, not have any condescending remarks like "that's why I don't use ladders" etc.

Very sad.
It can happen so quickly.

Both guys died, it seems from the head injuries sustained. Is there a case maybe, for some sort of safety helmet for working on ladders??

I don't know of any particular solution, but this is a window cleaning forum. Designed to discuss serious and important issues related to our working environment. It's not just a case of bringing home the money, but also just about getting home safe and in one piece.

Can we, please, not have any condescending remarks like "that's why I don't use ladders" etc.
But thats just the point, it is precisely why I don't use ladders. These accidents have been happening for years but have not been reported nationally because there were not any forums like this to spread the information wider that the local papers.

Its happened on my patch twice that I know of, I now clean the house where one man fell, apparantly getting back onto a ladder from a flat roof extension. Another called Gary I never knew but he broke his leg very badly so I'm told.

Many years ago I used to work with a man called John, his son was a junior footballer and a bit of a rising star. John as proud dad used to take him all over the place to play. Years later I heard the son was killed falling off a ladder while helping a mate paint a house.

These things do happen, when these things have been debated on "other forums" there has always been a lot of "nobody's telling me what to do" attitude which I have never really understood

Think most have experienced a near miss, actually fallen from a ladder or know ppl that have. I still do ladder work and as long as ppl follow simple rules on ladder safety, use best practice and fit safety devices to help stabilise the ladder then the risk is minimised.

And yes wearing head proctection I think is a good idea

Ladders do not kill but complacency can.

This is the sort of thing that we should show to customers when they moan about the cost of window cleaning and the changing to wfp .

I know people die in various trades year in year out but this day in age these accidents are preventable .

I come from a heavy engineering , fabrication , welding industry and I can say that in the engineering industry especially

Big companies that I have worked for H&S is not to be sniffed at .

The last company I was at there was zero tolerance it was do it by the book or not at all .

No ladders at all only mobile work platforms and hop ups .

Anyways that's enough rambling on .

I agree I think customers should be shown these type of news feeds I wonder how it would go down I might just try it...

When the ladders debate started a few years ago it caused furious arguments on CIU (which was the forum I was on then) and I never could see why. If it really was simply a matter of the cost to go to wfp then maybe. But wfp is actually quicker and less tiring so you earn money quicker. Plus many houses can't be done trad.

Helmets are not going to save you in all falls, maybe not even many falls, and there are worse things than getting killed believe me.

Think most have experienced a near miss, actually fallen from a ladder or know ppl that have. I still do ladder work and as long as ppl follow simple rules on ladder safety, use best practice and fit safety devices to help stabilise the ladder then the risk is minimised.
And yes wearing head proctection I think is a good idea

Ladders do not kill but complacency can.
Everybody who works with ladders has had a pants filler at some time. I have had several and thats enough for me.

Ill be buying a suitable helmet after new year as i do alot of gutter jobs ect that need ladders and id rather minimise the chance of dieing as head injuries are the most common killers in falls .. Fair enough i might look a bellend but ill be the bellend going home at night .

I presonally think when using ladders wearing a suitable helmet should become a standard part of ppe myself.

I presonally think when using ladders wearing a suitable helmet should become a standard part of ppe myself.
But a helmet is not going to save you in the vast majority of falls. What it might do is give you a false sense of confidence. One of the big killers from what I can gather is working on your own. You have a fall and there is nobody there to give you assistance in those vital first few minutes. I'm not entirely sure, perhaps somebody who is more clued up on HSE regulations can say, but I have heard it said that its not legal to work on your own at heights, which if its true would scupper a lot of window cleaners, roofers, aerial fixers etc
The other thing is its often not what you fall from its what you fall onto.

I'm glad to see this discussed. It's helping me in making a choice.

I'm mainly wfp, but I do use ladders very occasionally, maybe 4/5 times a week. I've followed some links posted to helmet sellers. My plan is to have one right where I put my ladder clamp so as to be sure to put one on.

Wfp minimizes risks but I can still go that bit extra. Wife and 4 children really forces the issue.

You have all got too see the video posted under heading "Very Sad" on the health and safety part of this forum.

I watched it last night. Truly shocking and thought provoking.

When the ladders debate started a few years ago it caused furious arguments on CIU (which was the forum I was on then) and I never could see why. If it really was simply a matter of the cost to go to wfp then maybe. But wfp is actually quicker and less tiring so you earn money quicker. Plus many houses can't be done trad.
Helmets are not going to save you in all falls, maybe not even many falls, and there are worse things than getting killed believe me.
I'm a lot less tired climbing my ladder then holding my pole all day. My arms ache after 15 mins. Can run up & down a ladder all day & to be honest would not say its always quicker. Most times but not all the time. I think it's cost a lot of the time. I still think if your sensible & take your time & use the saftey gadgets you can buy you should be ok but nothing is 100% safe unfortunately. Helmets are a good idea & will be getting one. Don't give a toss what I look like.

Back