Concentration of soap in the belt-hung spray bottle

Discussion in 'Traditional Window Cleaning' started by DannyB, Oct 2, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

#1 DannyB, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Hi everyone

I wonder what's the proven concentration of washing up liquid (or washing up liquid plus vinegar) in the belt-hung spray bottle that you would use while working on the ladder. Should the solution be so thick as in the bucket that stays on the ground level, or much thicker? And when it's appropriate to use the spray bottle, is it better to spray from the bottle directly on the window glass, or rather on the cloth or the applicator?

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Have a hard time figuring you out Danny, no offence. But dip the mop in the bucket, climb up the ladder, wash the window, climb down the ladder, move on to next window. Pretty straight forward!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

It's really very straightforward, Jacob. The bucket is certainly available not only for the ground work, but also for work on higher stories windows while you being on the ladder, and you can wet the mop before climbing on the ladder - it's quite clear even to me. Absolutely no-nonsensical.

But even in the world of so amazing possibilities, some people use belt-hung spray bottles, too - don't they? And especially when you're doing first clean and the windows are very dirty, you may even use a wet cloth on the glass before using a mop, and you may wet the cloth even more than once while being on the ladder, am I right? Really, if I didn't see the belt-hung spray bottles also on Polzn Bladz's belt, I don't think I would think about the belt-hung bottles at all...

4. boarcity

boarcity Guest

bottle on a belt is a timewaster in my opinion. i used one for about 6 months messing about filling it becomes a drag quickly

but if you had a prestige job ,it might look good on the belt -a showmans tool

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Sure, it's also a possibility to have it on the belt only to impress. But what about dirty sills? Wouldn't it at least make sense to use a bottle with some solution of Cif, and to wet a cloth or the sill itself from such bottle?

6. TolishAPurd

I have a bottle on my belt bit its just an old ecover bottle not a spray one. I use it when I'm working away from the bucket. Its a lifesaver when working in awkward spots when your applicator dries up. the stuff in the bottle is a stronger solution to whats in the bucket so if the window doesnt have enough suds then I give a little squirt and its good to go, but its still weak enough to use independantly from the bucket for some time before it get too claggy.

I usually give about 2 seconds squirt in the bucket, and about 1 second squirt in the bottle if that helps.

7. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Unless a first clean which if that dirty I'd waggle my stick at it to get the frames etc clean i exclusively use either a spray or bottle on my belt
    The spray i am not so keen on now after the breeze blowing wrong the other day and whichever side i did it blew on to the already cleaned ones and made them all spotty with a fine mist
    I have a 5l old virosol container in the motor filled with soap, vinegar and pure which i keep my bottle topped up from
    I use an old flash concentrate bottle (the huge one they do)
    Excellent as with the weird cap it won't let you squeeze out too much at once
    Now when i use my trolley i have the applicator and wagtail on top of the drum (gonna make a couple of holders for them tomorrow, pre mix bottle in my pocket and microfibre in the other pocket or over my shoulder..streamlined my kit big time

8. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

Many thanks, TolishAPurd and daveboy1. You both know very well what you're talking about.

9. Jacob

Jacob Guest

Agree less is more, specially when carring it on the waist all day.

10. DannyB

DannyB Active Member

But my granddad would say "better a kilo over than a gram less" ;)

Advertisement