Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Detailing

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It's amazing how we all wash our scrims & dry them differently. Or even like me don't even use them. I myself use a paragon microfibre. Fantastic cloth.

yep they can leave fluff especially in the sun and its attracted by static...i switch to damp scrim when that happens...detailing has been a pain of late as this warm air drys it before i can get to it.../emoticons/smile.png microfibre is on my shopping list

gota dissagree there tuffers tumble dry gets them super soft, rad or close line them an there like card board just my view tho :hiding:
Tumble drying them fluffs them up, which leaves fluff when detailing I find. Air dryed scrim is rougher and less likely to leave leave fluff in my experience.

im thinking that by detailing all the way round you are dragging the water around hence leaving a trail

i only detail 1 edge .

I'm still newish but if it helps at all my technique is as follows. detail in one direction with one swipe only if possible, do top edge followed by each side (working top down), put your finger in a dry bit of cloth for each swipe/edge. if there is a lot of water on bottom edge wipe this with a separate damp/cill cloth first, leave a few seconds (why you detail the top and sides of the next pain, weather permitting, dont let the damp cloth mark dry fully on glass) and then finish off the bottom with your dry scrim or micro.

There are some good tips on you tube on ways to modify your squeegee to minimise the amount of detailing needed, look up wagga and polesnbladz who seem to have it down to a fine art!

take care with windows that have a 90 degree angle where glass meets the frame, it can be a pain to mop up lots of water from the tight edges, i find it better to not run up tight to the edge with the mop when soaping the glass, leaving about 1cm gap of dry glass on these types of windows, doing that totally eliminates the need to detail the top and sides, you still need to the bottom edge though.

hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
Tuffers I may very well start excluding the bottom edge myself, i recon it will save me loads of time, i guess you have never been pulled up on it?

oh its getting boring but ....ditto tuffers...well sometimes....if i see a few bits and the custy is fussy...i stopped it a while back as i was dragging the black stain all over the white frames...

i am forced to stay in spoons for two hours as a taxi service to the daughter....nice chicken korma.../emoticons/biggrin.png

Tuffers I may very well start excluding the bottom edge myself, i recon it will save me loads of time, i guess you have never been pulled up on it?
Never been pulled up on it, plus your cloths are going to get wetter faster with the amount of water left on the bottom. The water will only drain downwards anyway :thumbsup:

Chaps could I have a bit of adviceWhat is best to use for detailing at moment I detail with scrim but find that about a minute or so later I have to wipe round again with a microfibre cloth as water marks have been left when the detailing with scrim so I seem to have to detail twice which is ok but seems a bit silly

I know it's probly a stupid ? But it's starting to annoy me a little bit now so should I just use a microfibre but I've watched other windys and they just seem to use scrim to detail and that's it done but if I did just that I would have a water mark around the edges

Any help appreciated

Thanks lads

Tony
There is really no need to detail. Have your squeegee dog-eared with a good (new) blade, and don't put loads of water on the glass. Then it's just a matter of blading (fanning) it right. I would say that I have never detailed, but the only time I do is when I do a first clean...

Thanks for that rugbywolf

I'm going to give it a try I've seen a lot of stuff on youtube and people talking about it on here aswell

I'm suprised one of the manufacturers doesn't have one already cut on the market as it seems very popular thing to do and is all the rage

very good point MillerBHA it is about time they made one....and also an inline ankalad fitted to the ladder and a ladder standoff fitted at the top that shuts in line ....gav go tell em..../emoticons/smile.png

I use my sill cloth to wipe the frame and sill before detailing with the scrim. By doing this it removes most of the water so you don't drag the scrim through it. It keeps your scrim dryer for longer.

now sill clothes are what i am running out of...all worn out...being cheap as i am i tried a sample of hessian...bit too hairy..good for scrubbing but no absorption...any ideas out there...?

now sill clothes are what i am running out of...all worn out...being cheap as i am i tried a sample of hessian...bit too hairy..good for scrubbing but no absorption...any ideas out there...?
Poundland microfibres for sills :thumbsup:

I also like using micros for sill cloths. I think I bought a load quite cheaply from tescos and they are holding up well.

ta lads must send wifey out...i did end up using my fake leather chamois type thing and it was really good....looks very similar to the microfibre...i will of course tell her to ask at the till how much it is...he he he ....the old uns are the best..../emoticons/smile.png

only used scrim from starting window cleaning about a year ago but bought paragen blue micro cloth fish scale and after using them a few times scrim are going to be my back up cloths know i think

Very true cnc....they can catch on wooden frames though. Paragons large fine weaves are equally as good. For the price, its worth getting a couple of each. The regular fine weaves get better after loads of hammer and plenty of washes.

Latest Posts

Back