Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DI resin vessel or buy pure water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I agree. We are also in a soft water area according to this site. In actuality we are in a slightly hard water area so this site is wrong again.

So the answer is as @ched999uk says in response to the op: buy a quality tds meter from Daqua.
Just checked a postcode for Hartlepool the linked site says its soft water below 60ppm, I can testify it ain't I tried drinking water once at a friends house 🤢

The irony to these replies is beyond funny. Both of you guys, well meaning I'm sure, are criticising a very regular poster, that offers regular advice, without advising the OP.
Shouldn't you be advising them and then criticising @Pjj
Wasn’t really criticising anyone. Was just pointing out that the search bar can be hard work.
If new guys come on that are asking new questions to them then why not just post the question. And yes it’s probably been asked lots of times but does it matter if it’s asked again. If someone doesn’t want to answer a question then just skip past it.
No need to start accusing everyone of being lazy etc. weren’t we all ‘new’ once and clueless?
As for advising the op. It was suggested early on that the first thing should be test the tds. That’s what I was going to suggest but it had already been said. My next one was spotless water as a suggestion but it was said by someone else.

Just checked a postcode for Hartlepool the linked site says its soft water below 60ppm, I can testify it ain't I tried drinking water once at a friends house 🤢
Many years ago, a poster on another forum who lived in Hartlepool advised it was 550ppm. The council draw their water from boreholes, as the piped water from Kielder is too expensive.

I worked in Hartlepool for about 8 months. Hardly anyone in the dealership drank coffee or tea, as it tasted revolting. A rumour that circulated 25 years ago was that a local council in that region was trying to attract a Walker's Crisp factory into the area. Walkers wanted a soft water supply for their factory, so the council put up in a filtration plant for the industrial estate. Not wanting to waste the waste water from the filtration process, they returned that to the water supply, which further increased the tap water's tds. I don't know how true that was, though.

Many years ago, a poster on another forum who lived in Hartlepool advised it was 550ppm. The council draw their water from boreholes, as the piped water from Kielder is too expensive.

I worked in Hartlepool for about 8 months. Hardly anyone in the dealership drank coffee or tea, as it tasted revolting. A rumour that circulated 25 years ago was that a local council in that region was trying to attract a Walker's Crisp factory into the area. Walkers wanted a soft water supply for their factory, so the council put up in a filtration plant for the industrial estate. Not wanting to waste the waste water from the filtration process, they returned that to the water supply, which further increased the tap water's tds. I don't know how true that was, though.
I think anything is possible with councils.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire here, but personally I quite often come on and read for motivation as well as knowledge. I quite enjoy the new posts because I've learnt a lot from the more experienced guys about different set ups that I don't know anything about, for example trolley set-ups or some of the more technical stuff about RO membranes.

On the other hand the more specific questions are better. I can understand that if you've been on the forums for years, the same old questions can get repetitive. Like a lot of the stuff on here, it's subjective, just a matter of personal opinion.

I don't want to add fuel to the fire here, but personally I quite often come on and read for motivation as well as knowledge. I quite enjoy the new posts because I've learnt a lot from the more experienced guys about different set ups that I don't know anything about, for example trolley set-ups or some of the more technical stuff about RO membranes.

On the other hand the more specific questions are better. I can understand that if you've been on the forums for years, the same old questions can get repetitive. Like a lot of the stuff on here, it's subjective, just a matter of personal opinion.
I'm not having a pop at you at all and this is just my thoughts:

To start a business you need to have determination, enthusiasm and most of all be willing to work hard. To me part of that is putting a bit of effort in to gain the knowledge you need. If someone can't even be bothered to spend a few hours searching and reading stuff on here then are they really serious about starting a business?

Once people have a basic understanding then specific questions are very helpful to not just the person asking the question but for most of us. It's always good to read how others do things as we are all different plus as far as I know there really isn't a college course or any recognised qualification you could study to ensure you do things the correct way.

I don't know if it's a generational thing but before the internet people used to have to try and work out how to do things and couldn't just look on YouTube. YouTube, amongst other resources, have enabled everyone to learn so much so easily - I am so grateful for this forum and all the past and present members who made the effort to post all this wonderful information.

With just a little effort up front people can be well on their way.

Hi all, I'm looking at starting out from scratch. Most probably start off with a portable pack until the round gets more established. Which is more economical, buy a DI vessel and resin or buy pure water from a water station? Also, any tips on the best mid range price equipment and tips on starting out. TIA.

Hi all, I'm looking at starting out from scratch. Most probably start off with a portable pack until the round gets more established. Which is more economical, buy a DI vessel and resin or buy pure water from a water station? Also, any tips on the best mid range price equipment and tips on starting out. TIA.
Welcome Tony.

My best advice is not to buy the water but to filer your own. Use an RO system but a very slow one 300gpd and a di to keep the cost down. I would filter into a water butt and then use a sub pump to pump it out when you require it. That way you can run the slow RO all night if you need to. You may even get away with a 200 gpd I just found one on here. Hope this helps. Mark

You aren't too far from me @Crystalalan I used to live quite close to spotless and Dave (Lugsden?) / Pure Water Supplies in Bournemouth. I've moved a bit further away so it's a bit of a trek there now. I've started making my own as I only use about 200-350 litres a week so just needed a small RO. When I lived closer it was easier to just go and fill up there.
Ah no way mate. Talk about a small world. Yep daves a top guy. He's sold pole position but still owns pure water supplies. Where abouts are you living now?

Welcome Tony.

My best advice is not to buy the water but to filer your own. Use an RO system but a very slow one 300gpd and a di to keep the cost down. I would filter into a water butt and then use a sub pump to pump it out when you require it. That way you can run the slow RO all night if you need to. You may even get away with a 200 gpd I just found one on here. Hope this helps. Mark
Thank you @Dirtymarks. That's just the type of advise I was looking for. 👍

I'm not having a pop at you at all and this is just my thoughts:

To start a business you need to have determination, enthusiasm and most of all be willing to work hard. To me part of that is putting a bit of effort in to gain the knowledge you need. If someone can't even be bothered to spend a few hours searching and reading stuff on here then are they really serious about starting a business?

Once people have a basic understanding then specific questions are very helpful to not just the person asking the question but for most of us. It's always good to read how others do things as we are all different plus as far as I know there really isn't a college course or any recognised qualification you could study to ensure you do things the correct way.

I don't know if it's a generational thing but before the internet people used to have to try and work out how to do things and couldn't just look on YouTube. YouTube, amongst other resources, have enabled everyone to learn so much so easily - I am so grateful for this forum and all the past and present members who made the effort to post all this wonderful information.

With just a little effort up front people can be well on their way.
Totally agree, on this instantly it makes me think of how you've said in the past that you trawled the forum and took notes, far too many these days just wanting it all handing to them on a plate,

I myself have spent the last week researching something I needed to know and do, not work related but I trawled the internet used YouTube spent hours doing my homework and cracked on.

Dont waste your time mate.Buy yourself a cheap kitted out van 2k-5k. If the work is there you will be covered,On average 20 ltrs a house.Good water supply is your friend.That fannying about with a back pack is a waste of time. If it doesnt work out,sell the van. No big loss

Pjj, you seem to be moaning about me not putting any effort in to find the answer to my question. I've been searching the Internet every night for the past week, couldn't find the answer to my question, so I decided to ask the professionals, you lot. Some people have been kind and helpful, you have seemed to put me in a box of "asking the same old question" as you say " do I need ro or di, do I need a booster pump, which membranes should I go for" I didn't ask these questions. If you read my post I asked" which is more economical, di vessel or buy pure water. You have replied to my post but you have failed to answer my question. Which I find totally absurd. Like I said, I checked out the Internet and then decided to ask you guys, hoping for help. If you want to help, then help by answering the question or give advice. If people don't know about these things, not only on this site but in any trade they go on forums to ask advice, knowing that there are people who can help them. I'd you don't want to help, then either don't comment or don't bother reading the posts.

Before your question can be answered we need to know your tap TDS , if it’s below 70-90 then you could use double di , you will also need a sediment filter and preferably a 5 micron as well , if it’s way above those figures then you will need an ro and di as it won’t be cost effective on resin . Yes you could buy pure from a supplier like spotless but again it will depend on the volume of water you are going to be using and the distended you will have to travel to fill up , it could work out expensive. Again theses questions have been asked multiple times on here as myself and many others have answered them numerous times .

Before your question can be answered we need to know your tap TDS , if it’s below 70-90 then you could use double di , you will also need a sediment filter and preferably a 5 micron as well , if it’s way above those figures then you will need an ro and di as it won’t be cost effective on resin . Yes you could buy pure from a supplier like spotless but again it will depend on the volume of water you are going to be using and the distended you will have to travel to fill up , it could work out expensive. Again theses questions have been asked multiple times on here as myself and many others have answered them numerous times .
Thank you very much @Pjj , thats very informative. I'm new to this site snd could not find the answer anywhere, so that's when I decided to ask the question. But I am picking up more info as I read. There is a lot of equipment out there and several different ways of doing things. To a newbie it can be a bit daunting. Cheers.

Dont waste your time mate.Buy yourself a cheap kitted out van 2k-5k. If the work is there you will be covered,On average 20 ltrs a house.Good water supply is your friend.That fannying about with a back pack is a waste of time. If it doesnt work out,sell the van. No big loss
Becoming a window cleaner using wfp these days requires a large financial investment. It also requires a lot of dedication, time and hard work building a customer base.

Thank you very much @Pjj , thats very informative. I'm new to this site snd could not find the answer anywhere, so that's when I decided to ask the question. But I am picking up more info as I read. There is a lot of equipment out there and several different ways of doing things. To a newbie it can be a bit daunting. Cheers.
I do understand what you are saying we all had to start somewhere there is so much choise these days it can be confusing as to what you need it can be done reasonably cheaply or you can spend 20k plus just on a system alone , a van mount is a far easier way to work depending on the type of property you will be cleaning g but is more expensive than a back pack or trolly set but you will be much slower with what work you can do in a day using that set up .

I do understand what you are saying we all had to start somewhere there is so much choise these days it can be confusing as to what you need it can be done reasonably cheaply or you can spend 20k plus just on a system alone , a van mount is a far easier way to work depending on the type of property you will be cleaning g but is more expensive than a back pack or trolly set but you will be much slower with what work you can do in a day using that set up .
That's good to know. Obviously I've got to get a customer base first off, so my initial thoughts were to start with a back pack, and when the round becomes bigger/more productive and a constant customer base then move up to a van mount. I didn't want to spent to much initially not knowing that the work isn't there. I am a hard worker, I have run my own profitable business for several years . Just taking a new direction, a change of trade. Don't mind spending a grand or so snd see how things go. Thank you very muchfor all the advise.

At the end of the day, it's always going to be more cost-effective to filter your own water. After all, Spotless are buying water, disposing of waste water, maintaining their water points and making a profit.

The cost of resin has jumped up in the past few years by around 50%. So it's no longer the 'easy option' in most cases.

The first purchase must always be a quality TDS meter, purchased for a genuine WFP supplier such as Daqua.co.uk. Its only then that you can make an informed decision on which way to go regarding processing your own water; di or r/o.
Of course, when you are starting off, it could be more convenient purchasing water for a local Spotless water station, but as your business grows, you may be best to look at other options. Our local station is 10 miles away, a round trip of 20 miles, so this would be a backup for us rather than the go-to option.

There are other factors that must be considered. Are you on a water meter? Have you got storage facilities in a garage or shed? Where do you expect your business to be in 5 years time? Etc.

Back