Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DI resin vessel or buy pure water

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Unfortunately, there are also windies on these forums who, unintentionally, don't give the best advice either. But some advice is given where the advisor is recommending a purchase based on the cheapest price.

We always recommend Daqua as they deal with product especially for window cleaners.

Someone recently recommended Finest Filters for a new starter to buy his r/o from. The price FF is charging is much cheaper than Daqua, but the reason why they are cheaper is that they are using Chinese manufactured Voltron membranes, which aren't as efficient as USA manufactured ones.
These membranes are total fine when it comes to r/o's used in the drinks and aquatic industries. But as window cleaners, we don't want extra filters that improve water taste; we want the most efficient working membranes, as that translates into using less resin to polish off the remaining TDS in the pure produced to zero.
Absolutely mate. I only have a small RO unit, I can't remember the name but I only use between about 200-400 litres a week. I took out the little polishing resin cartridge and it goes into an 11 litre DI vessel instead. It's fine for me but would be inferior if I needed that quantity every day for example. On the FB forums I have seen poor advice, which is ok if it's a mistake, but also some deliberate wrong advice.

Really good advice. Saturdays is always a good day for being out and about.
And never be worried about ‘stepping on somebodies toes’ there’s no such thing anymore as ‘somebodies patch’.
I remember a time many many many years ago when that was definitely the case but not anymore. It’s a totally free market.
If fellow window cleaners are doing all the right things such as doing a good job, being reliable etc etc then they have nothing to worry about.
What vehicle will you be starting out in?
Ove got a transit custom, but is 10 years old, but we'll looked after.

Christchurch, Newport? With the Greyhound pub? Nice part of Newport that, I like Christchurch, I used to live just down the road from there. Glad you've got your on place now. 👍
No mate, Christchurch in Dorset. I'm originally from North London but moved a few years ago for family reasons. Thank you though, it's nice to have a foot finally on the property ladder.

Really good advice. Saturdays is always a good day for being out and about.
And never be worried about ‘stepping on somebodies toes’ there’s no such thing anymore as ‘somebodies patch’.
I remember a time many many many years ago when that was definitely the case but not anymore. It’s a totally free market.
If fellow window cleaners are doing all the right things such as doing a good job, being reliable etc etc then they have nothing to worry about.
What vehicle will you be starting out in?
Transit custom, it's 10 years old, but we'll looked after.

I wasn't criticizing you at all. Sorry if I came across as doing that.
Even buying a cheap van is a big investment when compared to how we started 20 years ago. Back then it was a pair of ladders, a bucket, applicator and squeegee. We used the family car with a pair of roof racks. Cost wise, it was about £300 to get started back then.
We also found it must easier to find customers, as trad window cleaning was tough work up and down ladders.

I also agree with you that a backpack is a waste of time for a new starter.
My apologies Spurce ! I was a little quick to jump the gun. No harm intended Bud

Ok, I thought I might. Would you say it's better to have one mounted in the garage, or in the van?
I would say if you have space in the garage as you can have a 1000lts IBC tank so you always have a days 'spare' water even just after you have filled your van (assuming less than 500lts in van).
That said mine is in the van but that's because I bought a van with it already installed. The advantage of in van is you plug hoses in and mains and your van is full within a few hrs, plus if you ever need to fill up on a job you can. The disadvantage is you are always carrying the extra weight.
The disadvantage with a tank in your garage is you have to pump out to fill up your van.

I would say if you have space in the garage as you can have a 1000lts IBC tank so you always have a days 'spare' water even just after you have filled your van (assuming less than 500lts in van).
That said mine is in the van but that's because I bought a van with it already installed. The advantage of in van is you plug hoses in and mains and your van is full within a few hrs, plus if you ever need to fill up on a job you can. The disadvantage is you are always carrying the extra weight.
The disadvantage with a tank in your garage is you have to pump out to fill up your van.
Interesting. Thanks for replying and thanks for the info. Got some decisions to make.

Definitely in the garage, it's easier to service, cheaper to buy and cheaper on diesel as you're not carrying dead weight around.
I think having done both I tend to agree with this.
Just have to think about stopping it freezing in winter but you would still have that issue if it was in the van as well. Probably easier to insulate etc in the garage.
Do you have a water supply in the garage?
And do you know what the pressure is?
That will determine if you need a booster pump or not with the ro

I think having done both I tend to agree with this.
Just have to think about stopping it freezing in winter but you would still have that issue if it was in the van as well. Probably easier to insulate etc in the garage.
Do you have a water supply in the garage?
And do you know what the pressure is?
That will determine if you need a booster pump or not with the ro
Yep, I've got water in the garage. I converted part of it into a utility room, so can easily extend the water supply. And can also connect to the drainage from sink and washing machine. I haven't a clue what the water pressure is, it's pretty good. How can I find out? Is there a simple method on how to check the pressure?

Yep, I've got water in the garage. I converted part of it into a utility room, so can easily extend the water supply. And can also connect to the drainage from sink and washing machine. I haven't a clue what the water pressure is, it's pretty good. How can I find out? Is there a simple method on how to check the pressure?
Water pressure gauge mate. Just screws on to tap. Think mine was about a tenner

Back