Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dog Dirt clean up or leave it?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Chris34

Back to work tomorrow and I've been thinking through the parts of the job that irritate / annoy me, I think one of the biggest is dog dirt.  Up until now I've carefully dodged around it but I'm now thinking it would be easier to just clean it up then do the window clean, anybody else do this?  I just think it would be less annoying than dragging the equipment through it by mistake.  Bloody hate the stuff, just seems to be everywhere at this time of year, owners don't bother to clear it up.  Got a few jobs that seem to get a lot of fox and badger poo as well.  

Already learn't before Christmas to stay away from leaves, it's often underneath them.  Just drives me nuts, think I might have to be a bit blunt with some of my customers and say that I can't do the job, some are just getting to the point that it's almost impossible to not stand in it / get it on equipment.

Personally, I text them the night before to say to leave the gate open and can they clear up the dog mess. Luckily, I only need to text two people for this and they do ensure that it is clear. 

But, yes, if they didn't clear it up and their garden was caked in it, like your customers sound like they are, I would say to them to get another window cleaner.

Got one customer that always has a dog dirt issue. He's got two French bulldogs (being in fashion hasn't everyone?) and lives in a pristinely White House, marble white floor, satin white cushions and curtains........... dog mess everywhere, inside and out! No idea why he hasn't trained them but they muck up the windows outdoors with there feet and other dirt.

i always clean it off well and always get paid, I avoid best I can the muck on the floor.

your call mate? 

Just seems to be a lot of it about though at multiple jobs, dumping them all wouldn't be an option.  I'll have to think about it, money is important but it drives me mad to the point that I'd rather not do the job.

The other thing is how to explain it to the customer?  'Sorry I can't do your windows because of all the dog dirt', even though true it's offensive and even then they might say 'so sorry, we'll make sure it's cleaned up...' only for them not to clean it up.  Tricky.

Just seems to be a lot of it about though at multiple jobs, dumping them all wouldn't be an option.  I'll have to think about it, money is important but it drives me mad to the point that I'd rather not do the job.

The other thing is how to explain it to the customer?  'Sorry I can't do your windows because of all the dog dirt', even though true it's offensive and even then they might say 'so sorry, we'll make sure it's cleaned up...' only for them not to clean it up.  Tricky.
I'd just do the front, nasty diseases with dog dirt

dump a couple at a time, giving you time to replace.

When I started a few years ago, I had to put up with it, to pay the rent etc. But if you don’t..........

2-3 strikes and they are out, with some the odd bit is a rare and it's no bother on the whole, but I have had some were it's an issue every time I text or fb message them to make them aware that it's a H&S issue if it happens again as in there is multiple piles or it's never been cleaned up since the last time and there is more they then get messaged that they are been dropped.

I have found over the years with a lot of people that in the warmer and dryer weather they will happily walk there dog, but once the weather changes, they don't take them out or very far and the amount of dog muck increases a lot , yet come the summer dog walkers seem to sprout up out of nowhere, people are becoming more and more lazy, I walk my dog on an area of grass near my house on a morning and I can never take my eyes of the ground in case I miss some dog muck and stand in it, the footpaths to the fields I walked past five piles of ? in 20 meters the other day, it seems like most people want a dog these days but have no clue what it takes to look after them properly. 

If it’s cat poo I clean it up - that’s the worst stuff to get off your kit and it’s usually quicker to pick it up than try to dodge it. When it comes to dog poo - I’ve sacked off customers before and regretted it (especially when I explain the reason and they are embarrassed). Nowadays I clean it once but make a point of leaving it on top of the bin or tell them I’ve had to clean it up. If they don’t get the message the first time then - unfortunately- it’s likely to be there every time you go so sack them off. The alternative- which I have also done before - is just charge extra. It’s easier on bigger jobs but I try and find out when I quote if they have a dog and point out they will be ‘surcharged’ if I have to clear a way through turds.

I've had properties in the past where the dog problem has been so bad I've had to refuse to clean it due to the amount of muck in the garden but fortunately at the moment it's a rare issue. Cat muck round here is seldom a problem even though they roam freely unlike dogs. However, a big problem for me is the number of foxes in our area. They leave their deposits everywhere and I often don't realise I've got it on my gear till it's too late. Usually I've dragged my hose through it and when I go to coil it up, which I do by hand as I'm a trolley user then I become aware of it. I seldom get it on my hands as most of the time I'm wearing nitrile gloves, but wiping it off my hose is not the easiest thing as I end up spreading it all along the hose whilst trying to remove it.

I've had properties in the past where the dog problem has been so bad I've had to refuse to clean it due to the amount of muck in the garden but fortunately at the moment it's a rare issue. Cat muck round here is seldom a problem even though they roam freely unlike dogs. However, a big problem for me is the number of foxes in our area. They leave their deposits everywhere and I often don't realise I've got it on my gear till it's too late. Usually I've dragged my hose through it and when I go to coil it up, which I do by hand as I'm a trolley user then I become aware of it. I seldom get it on my hands as most of the time I'm wearing nitrile gloves, but wiping it off my hose is not the easiest thing as I end up spreading it all along the hose whilst trying to remove it.

This is exactly what I find at one of mine and I use a trolley.  They have a dog but there is dirt everywhere and even though some of it at the back is definitely the dog, well the stuff at the front and side must be a fox.  

It's a tricky one, I think I will just get the correct kit to clear the fox stuff and the dog stuff that gets in the way.  

The more I do this job the more I'm learning that it's not cleaning the windows that's the hard part, it's the obstacles in the way that prevent you from cleaning the windows that is the hard part.  Ended up with my arm stuck in a thorn bush yesterday with the pole fully extended, proper big sharp thorns.  Next job load of food on the floor, bin blown over, had to clear up loads of milkshake and sauces, as it was in the way.  First job cancelled as gate locked, second front only as gate locked.  It's no wonder I feel irritated, ha ha.

This is exactly what I find at one of mine and I use a trolley.  They have a dog but there is dirt everywhere and even though some of it at the back is definitely the dog, well the stuff at the front and side must be a fox.  

It's a tricky one, I think I will just get the correct kit to clear the fox stuff and the dog stuff that gets in the way.  

The more I do this job the more I'm learning that it's not cleaning the windows that's the hard part, it's the obstacles in the way that prevent you from cleaning the windows that is the hard part.  Ended up with my arm stuck in a thorn bush yesterday with the pole fully extended, proper big sharp thorns.  Next job load of food on the floor, bin blown over, had to clear up loads of milkshake and sauces, as it was in the way.  First job cancelled as gate locked, second front only as gate locked.  It's no wonder I feel irritated, ha ha.
Yeah, I carry a load of those small microfibres for wiping down my hose. It’s also worth grabbing a sealed container to put soiled ones in if you don’t want to stink up your vehicle after cleaning a dirty hose. I also keep a bottle of an antibacterial wash in the car for my hands, just in case

Yeah, I carry a load of those small microfibres for wiping down my hose. It’s also worth grabbing a sealed container to put soiled ones in if you don’t want to stink up your vehicle after cleaning a dirty hose. I also keep a bottle of an antibacterial wash in the car for my hands, just in case

I have a big bag of microfibres and use nitrile gloves all the time so it never gets on my hands, just a bit horrible.

I stay away from antibacterial washes now, apparently bacteria develops resistance to it and it gets stronger but it also kills good bacteria that is good for us.  I just use plenty of water with a bit of soap.

On your trolley do you use an extended hose?  I'm looking at getting one so I don't have to move the trolley, some jobs it will make it easier as lifting the trolley over things to get to the back can be awkward.  

I have a big bag of microfibres and use nitrile gloves all the time so it never gets on my hands, just a bit horrible.

I stay away from antibacterial washes now, apparently bacteria develops resistance to it and it gets stronger but it also kills good bacteria that is good for us.  I just use plenty of water with a bit of soap.

On your trolley do you use an extended hose?  I'm looking at getting one so I don't have to move the trolley, some jobs it will make it easier as lifting the trolley over things to get to the back can be awkward.  
You just need hand sanitiser which is alcohol based, which you can't build up a resistance to.  

I carry three lengths of PU pole hose on my vehicle and use releasable cable ties to keep them tidy. I think the one pictured is the 25m

hose_pu_25mtr.jpg

hose_trolley_pole.jpg

I've carefully worked out what lengths I need and use the shortest one I can for a given run of work. I carry 10mtr, 18mtr and 25mtr lengths. The 18mtr is the one I use most as It will get me to most places on my jobs without me having to keep moving my trolley and can be coiled by hand fairly quickly. I also have my pole setup the so-called tubeless way using a straight John Guest connector at the base of the pole as it makes for quick disassembly and easy straightening of the hose when it gets twisted.

I carry three lengths of PU pole hose on my vehicle and use releasable cable ties to keep them tidy. I think the one pictured is the 25m

View attachment 18812

View attachment 18813

I've carefully worked out what lengths I need and use the shortest one I can for a given run of work. I carry 10mtr, 18mtr and 25mtr lengths. The 18mtr is the one I use most as It will get me to most places on my jobs without me having to keep moving my trolley and can be coiled by hand fairly quickly. I also have my pole setup the so-called tubeless way using a straight John Guest connector at the base of the pole as it makes for quick disassembly and easy straightening of the hose when it gets twisted.

Very good ideal if using a trolly ?

Sounds good, that's what I was thinking.  It dawned on me the other day that not moving the trolley could make the job a bit easier and some jobs would definitely be easier due to access issues / uneven ground etc.  I think the 18 would be about right for my work, 10 would be too short for most of them, 25 too long.  

The ones on the pure freedom website look like extensions of the hose coming from the machine (yellow one) yours looks like the thinner flexible pole hose.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/25lt-trolley-extention-multiple-lengths-2/

Does that look like pole hose or more of the hose coming from the machine?  If possible I'd rather have the pole type hose for obvious reasons.  

Sounds good, that's what I was thinking.  It dawned on me the other day that not moving the trolley could make the job a bit easier and some jobs would definitely be easier due to access issues / uneven ground etc.  I think the 18 would be about right for my work, 10 would be too short for most of them, 25 too long.  

The ones on the pure freedom website look like extensions of the hose coming from the machine (yellow one) yours looks like the thinner flexible pole hose.

https://purefreedom.co.uk/product/25lt-trolley-extention-multiple-lengths-2/

Does that look like pole hose or more of the hose coming from the machine?  If possible I'd rather have the pole type hose for obvious reasons.  
It’s mini bore on the machine and the rest is pole hose. I’d try to source 5.5mm ID PU hose if you can. Much of it is only 5mm ID which will work but restricts the flow a little more than the 5.5mm.

I tried using mini and micro bore years ago but found it so heavy to carry and drag around compared to pole hose. Then I tried using the yellow PVC pole hose but didn’t find it very hard wearing, so switched to PU. I’m still using the first length of Gardiner’s original green PU hose I bought when they first introduced it. Real tough stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back