Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Domestic Gutter clearing - part 1

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Those progutter tools are very handy to carry in the van as I do use them alot. Best go for the full set as you will need them which save messing about trying to make some that will not be up to the quality and durability of those progutter tools.

The mircolight standoff should not damage tiles as long as you set it right. Mind you old slate tiles can be a bit dodgy as can be very brittle as I've found out...Oops! /emoticons/biggrin.png

I would not be able to do alot of awkward bits on homes without using a guttervac so yes I would say they are worth it.

Not sure what you meant by the receptacle close by? If you mean clearing gutters by hand I keep empty kiln dried sand plastic bags for gutter debris rather than using a bucket. Or if very bad I tarp the ground below and drop it down also into a hedge if close by. If very wet I sometimes find it easier to use the guttervac hose and suck it out instead whilst up me ladder.

You can't really get away with just using a guttervac from the ground I've found as they have limitations on what they can do. As for instance blocked downspout bends I often need to take apart if found to be very badly blocked. Likewise sods particularly in corners are also a real pain to try get out by just using a guttervac.

They are well worth the money in my opinion @Tuffers as are very strong and durable. I've not broken one yet and give them plenty of abuse /emoticons/smile.png

@keir, I bought one Pro Gutter tool and ended up buying two more. They are very handy for pulling / pushing the muck over connys where a vac could get to, but not be able to suck it out. A bit steep for a piece of plastic IMO, but well handy.
http://progutter.co.uk

Cheers for the link tuffers, yeah not cheap but i would only need 3 of them, so can they be fitted onto a wfp pole? I have an old brodex that never gets used

I use a gutter vac that I made up my self I looked at all the company's out there that sold them I found that they were either to expensive or just plane s**t the one i use has a suction of 146 L air per sec and most of the others out the have between 80-110 ish so it doesn't lack on power at all this summer I have had no problem at all with the dry leaves slit ect it sucks everything up. I brought it as I really don't like going that high up ladders. I do need the customer to be in or for them to have a outside plug for it to work but after using the vac I would never go back to doing it by hand. It's faster,safer,more cost effective and cleans 100% off what ever was in the gutters.

I'm using the kartcher pro range n-65/2 ap it's amazing !!!! Better and more powerful than any other "pro vac" that people sell as a set.

Just been reading smurfs advice on gutters and ladder safety - really made me think - am 37 and got 4 kids to feed - to think of the times I risked my neck ..

Ordered ankalad ladder leveller - but it appears that's different to the stabiliser - can I add to it smurf? Do I need to add the big legs or is leveller enough

Yes you can use both the ankalad ladder leveller http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/leveller.shtml

and the ankalad stabaliser http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

together on the same ladder no probs. :thumbsup:

Here is a pic with both being used at the same time

View attachment 4526

All new ankalad stabalisers are that colour not blue anymore

I would recommend you defo get the ankalad stabaliser as makes any ladder rock solid to work from ask @daveyboy1 and others that use them too

Yes you can use both the ankalad ladder leveller http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/leveller.shtmland the ankalad stabaliser http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stabiliser.shtml

together on the same ladder no probs. :thumbsup:

Here is a pic with both being used at the same time

View attachment 6805

All new ankalad stabalisers are that colour not blue anymore

I would recommend you defo get the ankalad stabaliser as makes any ladder rock solid to work from ask @daveyboy1 and others that use them too
Ok cheers - was thinking of getting new triples too

Still a lot cheaper than gutter vac - and there's loads of jobs waiting for me

Thanks for the help mate

Smurf, I am thinking of buying an Ankalad Ladder Stabiliser. They look great. What do you do if the gutters of the home your working on have to be accessed by a ladder used on a sloped or uneven floor surface, are you still able to use the Ankalad Stabiliser on a slant? Any feedback is most appreciated.
Personally I used an Ankalad years ago when I was doing a lot of roof work. They do work and work well BUT you need a fair bit of clearance at the front of the house for them to work.

For example, no flower beds,decking, steps etc etc. You get the idea. Unfortunately not all properties are like in the photos that they use to advertise such items, normally against the wall of a property on an industrial estate on flat concrete.

I never tried it on sloping surfaces, to be honest, most of my work was on all the areas that had little clearance so I stopped using it.

Not everyone can do this I admit but I used to pool all the roof work over a month an employ a friend of mine to "foot" the ladder for me maybe 1 to 3 days a month (depending how much work came in.) It was handy to have someone manhandle the ladders for me ( Not getting off that easy by just standing there. /emoticons/wink.png ) and a bit of peace of mind that there was someone there "if" it went wrong and I fell off the ladder.

Now I use a Ladder M8rix. They, so far, work.

As with all ladder work, take your time up and down.

Latest Posts

Back