Employee going sick at last minute

Discussion in 'Chit Chat & Introductions' started by boarcity, Nov 4, 2014.

Advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums.
    Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

1. boarcity

boarcity Guest

#1 boarcity, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    heres a question for you

1 of my workers has been texting in sick recently, about 1 day every fortnight. iv been getting a text at the very last minute ,just before we start work. this is very inconvenient as it doesnt give me any chance to rearrange work,or get anybody in as a replacement. worker always comes in the following day with "im feeling better now ,doctor gave me blah blah blah"

am i within my rights to say " i need at least an hours notice of not coming in to work"

could i sack over this issue? i sense they fancy a day off in bed ,well howsabout you have a year cos ur going now you bloomin idiot,but maybe thats me being harsh. my workers sign a contract after 3 months when i take them on,unfortunately i didnt have anything to cover this issue drawn into it .

[ each time its a different medical excuse ]

Advertisement
  2. Shiny

Shiny Forum Addict

Your well in your rights to introduce a sickness form. The employee will have to fill in stating dates and reason for sickness, was a doctor seen ect and what the reason for sickness was.
    This will then create paper evidence for you and if a visible pattern forms you can then confront him and start issuing warnings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Shiny

Shiny Forum Addict

Sample sickness self-certification form
    Sample sickness self-certification.doc

Download a free sample sickness self-certification form which you can customise and use within your business.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

Most places i have worked insist on a minimum notice period for informing them of your absence
    If you want it in black and white add it into their contracts and give them the new one
    Only downside is to change someone's contract you need to give 3 months notice in writing of the changes

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Smurf

Smurf Banned

Are they self employed that sub from you or are they employees as there is a big difference.

6. meridion

meridion Well-Known Member

Boar, additonally, if they take more than X amount of days off sick within say 3 months, they go under review, and then you can say bye bye because theyre not fit for this business. its a perfectly good reason to sack someone. Not your problem if he's *ill* all the time.

7. Smurf

Smurf Banned

8. daveyboy

daveyboy Legend

If stated in a contract they can't argue as they have signed to agree
    Subbies you have no loyalty to..you can just jog em on

9. meridion

meridion Well-Known Member

10. norm

norm Grand Master

come the bad weather it will get worse

Advertisement